“Nice But” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilo Naniloa Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hilo Naniloa Hotel to your Saves list
Hilo Naniloa Hotel
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   93 Banyan Drive, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720 (Formerly Naniloa Volcanoes Resort)   |
Ranked #6 of 8 hotels in Hilo
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Nice But”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

the check in time is 3pm that's pretty late I arrived at 5:30 am in Hilo I stayed at the airport waiting for sunrise then waiting for 9 am to go kill sometime at museum at the tsunami museum i recommend pretty nice , i found this brochure of adventures and hikes so i booked a hike same day and i took my mini Luggage with me to the hike if i can only drop my luggage at the hotel then hike it will be nice i hope they change the check in time cuz the check out is 12 noon Nonsense . hotel is nice quiet nice view saw some whales and turtles from the hotel free continental breakfast staff are nice and helpfull hotel under construction and because hilo is always rainy and foggy there is mold in the hotel not a lot just a little was in my room ceiling , hotel is in a good location so yes i would go again .

Room Tip: top floors for nice view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

19 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Puyallup, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed here because it was inexpensive, we were staying in Kona, and wanted to see HIlo, so we cheaped out.It was a million dollar view. We stayed in an ocean view room, it was affordable and I have stayed in much worse rooms for much more money. The grounds of this former show stopper are awesome. The location is incredible. Our room was pleasant. In April the desk clerk (who was lovely) said they are starting a huge remodel. My sis used to party at this place back in the seventies and remembers it as the best place in Hilo, it would be nice to see the place restored, you can tell it was an amazing place at one time. We have no complaints, and wonder when you pay a hundred bucks for a beachside room what people are thinking! C,mon folks there is no free lunch! That said, the breakfast buffet was coffee and squishy bread....on a beautiful terrace surrounded by anthurium, water and the lovely grounds...what a juxtaposition...we thought it was hysterical. Next time when we are in Hilo we will definitely stay here, it was overall a good experience and everyone we came in contact with was so nice.

Room Tip: We got an ocean view room on the fourth floor which had been renovated, but saw the suite next door...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Great stop for a night. Could have been cleaner, but nice view and lots of places within walking distance.Nice park right next to the hotel and a nice small store for snacks in the next hotel over. Would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I'm giving them 3 stars for the potential. We stayed there the weekend of March 7, 2014.
The view was beautiful! My husband spent every daylight minute we were there out on the balcony watching whales and trying to get a picture.
The hotel and rooms left a lot to be desired. The phones weren't working so they asked that if you need anything to please use your own cell phone to call the main line. Elevator was pretty slow, there was mold on the bathroom ceiling, bathroom door doesn't close tight so you can smell whatever is going on in there-reminded me of The California Hotel in Las Vegas.
There was a refrigerator and coffee maker in the room. :)

We loved the view so much we're giving it another try next year.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Gagetown, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

The Good Bad and the Ugly.

I have never in my life been in a hotel that fits this description. I truly loved and hated my 3 days here and only a detailed description can explain. You really need to read the whole review
This hotel was built about 1965, I think an additional wing was built in the 70’s, it replaced another that had been here since the 40’s and had survived two tsunamis. It is built on an old burial ground and some say it is haunted. If Stephen King ever wrote a sequel to The Shinning and instead of a seasonal isolated Maine hotel he choose a dilapidated run down southern Hawaiian hotel this would be the place, carpeted and wood halls are replaced with two types of tiled designs….redrum, redrum.

The Good
Price, View, Room, Balcony, Location, Golf course, Staff
The Bad
Breakfast, Cleaning, Workmanship, TV
The Ugly,
The Overall Hotel Appearance, the Elevators, Hotel Condition

The Good,
The price was $99, I upgraded my room to a bay view for another $20 it was upgraded when my bay room was in disrepair. I ended up in a corner room with a view of the harbor and ocean. The balcony was 24 feet by 20 feet, all patio windowed with sliding panels to keep sunlight out. Day one a cruise ship came by within 300 yards of the hotel. Day two we watched dolphins and whales, on day three it was whales and sea turtles. All I can say about the views were wow; you face the east and watch the sun rise. IT has a cheap $10 buck a round golf course as part of the property. It is also is a group of rundown buildings but the course is better I have played worse courses in Florida for more money. The bottom line is a hotel built at the same time up kept well three doors away from this hotel charged $500 a night for a single room. My room was clean and I could not find any bugs and I looked. The staff went out of their way to help me.

The Bad
Breakfast which is free is basically toast and coffee, for some reason they keep it set up in the lobby. My first room had stained walls, stained with what; your guess is as good as mine. Wired internet was broken and the tv reception was snowy. They had the tv mounted on the wardrobe and not directly facing the bed. The small table and chairs were missing from the room. Microwaves are extra but there is a coffee maker. The workmanship in the upgraded rooms is poor and mixed. They redid the floors and walls but leave old doors or shower rods that are stained and rusted. The air conditioning vent is beside your head on the bed and it is dirty. Housekeeping forgot to make my bed on one occasion.

The Ugly
When you walk into this place with the outside half painted and a 72 room structure boarded up makes you want to leave right away. I almost did. I checked in then got into the elevator oh my, dirty and slow. Apparently one only starts up if another is running, then into the stained room.

PS
All that being said, All these problems are due to an owner who sold this property in December. I am told that starting on April 1 (Anniversary of the 1946 Hilo Tsunami) 200 workers will descend on this property to renovate it. It will remain open during these renovations with soft opening in November and a grand opening for New Years Eve. I would love to see the final results as this is a really neat historical property with so much potential.

If you get a room here in 2014 be ready for workers, use the hotel three doors down to you for meals they are very good. Rooms on floors that end with a 36 have the double view, rooms ending in35 have the ocean view and 34’s are suites. If you book here I would call directly and make all your arrangements by talking to them in person so you know what you are getting. This is not a resort but it might become one.

Bottom line was I had a clean room with unbeatable views and I used the $1000 I saved on 3 days of rooms to have a great Hilo experience.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 35 and 36 have the best views, do not get a garden view, it is a parking lot.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

this hotel does not look like pictures on the website. Nice view from the rooms but the hotel seems is not well mantained or maintaned at all. It looks like an old deserted building. Avoid at all cost

• Stayed March 2014
Kapaau, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We live in Kona and were meeting friends arriving on a cruise ship so we went to Hilo a day early so we would be fresh in the morning. We selected the Naniloa because of location and price. Our room was clean and reasonably comfortable. The negatives were mainly noise. The TV from the next room was loud enough almost to follow the program. It was a Saturday so about 1:45 am there were loud partiers in the parking lot who also gave us a blast from their auto stereo. After the security went out with a flashlight, they left. Then about 4:45 am a woman left shouting at someone about something. Our windows were closed and the AC was on. Continental breakfast was minimal, but the coffee was very good. From our Hilo experience since 1984, Banyan Drive has declined. Other than the pricey Hilo Hawaiian, some of the older hotels are now condo and mixed hotel/condo, and appear to be low rent. They do seem to be making an effort to improve the Naniloa. It desperately needs sound absorbing materials in the rooms and halls and the pool needs cleaning.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hilo Naniloa Hotel? Share your experiences!