“The Naniloa is REALLY THAT BAD!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hilo Naniloa Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hilo Naniloa Hotel to your Saves list
Hilo Naniloa Hotel
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   93 Banyan Drive, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720 (Formerly Naniloa Volcanoes Resort)   |
Ranked #6 of 8 hotels in Hilo
San Diego, CA
“The Naniloa is REALLY THAT BAD!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I booked two rooms here on a spur of the moment trip through Hilo this month. What a mistake! We arrived after 10pm and the first impression is the place is pretty run-down. Then it gets worse. Some rooms have been renovated, and these are O.K at best, but if they try to put you in a non-renovated room, you should seriously consider sleeping somewhere else, like in your rental car. After walking down a deserted, dimly-lit, narrow hallway, I unlocked the door to one of these rooms (708) and was greeted by a blast of heat and a 6-inch long cockroach scurrying toward me. I tried catching him but he slid under one of the beds. I turned on the light, and saw that the A/C panel was broken. The room smelled of mold and looked like a 70's-era prison cell. I returned to the lobby and requested a different room, one with working A/C and without cockroaches. Without so much as an apology or an acknowledgment, the manager told me 708 was the only room available, and offered to "send someone up to check it out" if I wanted. What followed over the next 60 minutes was a laughable sequence of absurdities that could make a case study for a university-level course on customer service. Come to find out there were many other vacant rooms, but no staff were "available" to clean them. Communicating with the staff posed a real challenge for the manager, since the hotel's phone system was broken (since October!). After I prodded, the night manager found one room that was "almost clean" and he offered it to me if I wanted to wait for it. I accepted the wait, and sat down across from the hotel desk. Then, as I watched, the manager gave "my" new room to another lodger checking in! I called him on this error, and he said, "Oh, this is not good. That was the only room we had left." I firmly let him know that I wasn't going back to room 708. He looked flummoxed, and then disappeared into a back office without saying a word. After a few minutes, he walked back out to the desk and then called out to somebody walking by saying "Hey, can you clean a room for me in 15 minutes?" The guy said "I don't know, man. Maybe." Then that guy disappeared. After another 30 minutes, I offered to go find the guy. The manager said "Okay" and I made my way through the hotel hallways to track down the guy sent to clean me a room. I found him on the 6th floor, and, as midnight approached, I went back down to the lobby so I could let the manager know which room # was now available for me! Again, no apology to me, no acknowledgement that this was unusual, no offer to comp so much as a bottle of water for the hassle. Read the other reviews here. Stay away from the Naniloa!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Being that this was a last minute surprise getaway so that my husband could relax and unwind with me and the kids this was the lowest rate I could find in Hilo just 2 hours before we were to get on the plane.

We got in late, around 830 pm. Ate dinner and headed to check in at the hotel around 930pm. I walked into the lobby, which isn't anything fancy.... I had seen one male employee working the desk but as i walked up he walked into the office and stayed in there for a couple minutes forcing me to wait patiently at the front desk as there was no bell to ring and I wasn't about to yell so late at nite. He finally came back out and checked me in (the male employee was very nice and polite might I add), he gave me the room key (literally a key) and off I went with my 7 yo and 6 yo in tow. As we went up the elevator to our floor I noticed there was brown liquid drippin from the metal grate in ceiling of the elevator (don't know what it was and I didn't want to find out - it left huge stains on the already filthy carpet). Walking to our room I put the key in , turn the door handle and walk in ---- air conditioner is on, clothes laid all over the table , shopping bags with who knows what inside on the table, and the beds have NO sheets or pillow cases- not made at all.....its like either the maid didnt finish cleaning or I seriously thought someone was still staying in the room which sort of scared me because I had my two children with me. I go to call downstairs and the phone lines are apparently down ( since November 2013) ... finally call on my cel and reach the guy at the front desk and tell him ... "ummmmm did you give me someone elses room because there's still peoples things in here and the beds arent made & the room was NOT clean at all".... I hear him sigh and say "oh no" .... sounding like this has happened before ... he says ,"come back down and i'll give you another room key." While he was still polite when I went back down ... I didn't get any apology and it really didn't seem like he really cared as I proceeded to tell him what was still in the room. Off we went again to check out this second room I hoped would be ok ... we get into the same filthy elevator and get out on the 6th floor ( I know it was the 6th by the huge number six written in black sharpie on the frame of the elevator as we got out. This room was a lot better ... no carpet but , so not sure if they sweeped and mopped because our feet became black and filthy quick and we resorted to wearing socks and slippers in the room.
While it looks like its been redone ... a lot of the things seemed to have been just thrown together. While the bathroom was very nice looking we soon experienced the fixtures (towel racks) falling off the wall. No curtains jus huge sliding doors you slide closed and the windows were a little sketchy -- it looked like the bottom part would fall right out and i kept my kids far away from the glass windows.
Like i said , this was totally last minute and I booked a bay view room for $99 a nite thinking it would be nice to wake up seeing Hilo Bay ... sorry to say I was a bit let down by the view. All I saw was parking lot and cars and just in between the tall trees we could see a little bit of the bay from the back side of the hotel. While this hotel served its purpose giving us a place to lay our head for the two nites we were on the island.... if i had more time when researching and booking a room I so would not have stayed here .
There is a pool but from what I could see there's no fence around it and there's a small grassy area and it drops right into the bay -- didnt trust that ... I kept picturing my 2 yo running off the edge. There's a continental breakfast and buffet breakfast (not free - around $7-$10 for adults) that we never bothered to check out ... and theres only wifi in the lobby NOT available in the rooms. Parking is free which was the one thing I loved - but during the day didn't really care too much for non-guests that were using the back side of the building's water hose to shower.
Didn't care to much to explore the hotel anymore while we were there ... I had seen enough to be able to tell myself we probably would not book here again. :(

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

First off let me say I'm not one to EVER write a review. Usually when reading reviews I think people over exaggerate. But let me tell you this, THIS PLACE IS RIDICULOUSLY HORRIBLE. Don't be fooled by the pictures. The pictures are only a corner in the room. It looks nothing like the actual thing. We found a bug in our bed and when we complained they said "it's part of our disclosure" does that make any sense? We replied you mean bugs in the bed is part of your disclosure? She answered no. Staff has no idea what they're talking about. In the middle of the night we needed drinking water. When we called their so called "front desk" (by the way their phones don't work so you need to up call the hotel with ur cell phone) the man who answered the phone suggested for us to WALK to the hotel next door in the rain. Why in the world would someone in their right mind stay at a hotel who's referring you to another hotel for water? I always research before I stay and it stated that the hotel had all these amenities. IT'S WRONG. Management (wendy) didn't help in any way her answer to everything was "that's unfortunate". C'mon really?so we call and asked for towels because our room was out of towels. The guy who answered the phone told us to "come pick it up" umm? No. After repeating to him a gazillion times that were not picking it up he brought it up. The room? like someone mentioned before they have a pretty good photographer as it looks like nothing in the pictures. Everyone just stay away. No food no water nothing! Horrible service and rude. Never have I experienced a hotel stay like this one. Save yourself while its not too late. STAY AWAY!!!!!

• Stayed December 2013
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel several times. If you like modern shapes, unusual design, this hotel is a change of pace. It has a cold and spacious feel, probably due to the white color everywhere. In the room it's like being in a modern art museum. Very different than your common chain hotel.
Room charge is reasonable, but breakfast prices seemed steep to me.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

It was a nice place to rest for overnight. It is clean. The staff was friendly. There are restaurants, bars, and a grocery store near by. It is by the sea so you can still enjoy a view. There are not much facility there. No restaurants inside the hotel per se. Overall, it is Ok.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

In major need of a do up! Has so much potential to be an amazing resort but we found it to be just an average hotel. Rooms were very basic, paper thin walls. Would recommended this place to anyone on a budget, but don't expect too much as its very very basic.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

Been to Hilo Naniloa Hotel? Share your experiences!