“Don't go hungry, maybe just for pupus” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A 5 star casual experience expanding the horizons of sushi featuring locally grown and raised mostly organic products and ingredients.Plenty of offeings for non fish eaters,vegetarians and those needing gluten free dining.Owner operated ,friendly and welcoming.Amazing house made desserts,salads,sandwiches,broiled items and, of course,world famous sushi!
San Francisco, California
“Don't go hungry, maybe just for pupus”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

So, this isn't a bad place per se, but it isn't a place I'd say there is authentic sushi either. You're not going to get a bento box etc and I think that is what they are going for. We went here because the Island Grill was closed. The prices were unbelievable, even for lunch, for example. $14 for a roll i think with ono encrusted with mac nuts (that didn't stick to the roll). $14 for a chicken barbecue sandwich, which I'm not sure is anywhere near japanese, with an obviously store bought roll. I don't think you can get out of anywhere in Hawaii under $40 (except for the cool hole in the wall mexican joint down the road on Hawi! go there, they gave my kid a free quesadilla!) but I was disappointed with the choices and value. No tempura. Maybe I'm not as high brow as the clientele they are looking for, but I've had a lot of good sushi, and this was ok to meh. I wish we would have left after I saw the menu, but we gave it a try as it was our last meal in Hawaii.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
alohapeter, Owner at Sushi Rock, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Aloha-You know I always say Sushi Rock isnt for everyone although I strive to please everyone with something.It seems as though you were expecting something other than what we actually are.We never advertise or promote as a Japanese or Sushi restaurant in the classic sense.You seem puzzled by our offerings of chicken and such yet it seems thats exactly what you would prefer.In any case I am sorry that we could not meet your needs but it seems that your expectations just could not be met.

New York
“Dont go”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We went to Sushi Rock for our last dinner on the Big Island on July 26th. I had reserved 2 weeks ahead, so it was odd to hear the waiter say that he had to check if a table was available when we arrived on time (the restaurant was half empty).

The menu here is very long, but since I had read many good reviews we decided to order the omekase. Big mistake! After a short conversation where we gave the waitress our preferences, we waited for our first course. The meal started well enough with our requested appetizer, followed 10 minutes later by two small plates of sushi (ahi and eel) that were fresh but not mind-blowing. Another 10 minutes later we were given 2 more plates, but this time each plate had 10 pieces on it. We tried one piece of each (again, very average), and then politely reminded the waitress that we had ordered omekase precisely because we didn't want to eat 10 pieces of the same sushi. She took the plates back and asked us what we would like next. I mentioned that I had read good reviews of the sushi with tenderloin, and that my girlfriend would like to dry different types of sashimi. After another 10 minutes we were presented with a large plate of plain tenderloin and another large plate of plain salmon sashimi.

At this point we decided to give up, asked for the bill and left as soon as possible. She had obviously charged us for each of the large plates, but I would have happily paid twice as much if we had been given a variety of food, as we had originally (and repeatedly) requested.

Maybe this is all down to poor communication between the waitress and the chef, but the food was also very average and certainly not as creative as the other reviews claim.

The drive from Waimea to Hawi and from Hawi back to Kona was beautiful, but don't do it for this restaurant.

Oh, I forgot to mention that there's live music on Friday nights. It's a guy with a guitar playing covers of 90's soft-rock and alternative songs.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
alohapeter, Owner at Sushi Rock, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Aloha-Well I have to say I am most disappointed in your time at Sushi Rock.I was away that weekend and I am sorry I wasnt there to help your experience.Luckily experiences like yours are extremely rare as testified by the many glowing reports we get.I will say that I have directed my staff to be clearer that Omikase is a CHEFS tasting experience and that requests are not accepted for that.If I had been waiting on you I would have worked with you to create a menu that you would have enjoyed.If you ever find yourself back here,please identify yourself to me and allow me to buy you a dinner worthy of our wonderful restaurant.
“So fresh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

the fruit with the sushi is a great combo. expensive but a special treat. very kid-friendly and even for folks that don't like sushi.

Visited July 2013
alohapeter, Owner at Sushi Rock, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thanks so much for your wonderful comments.My staff and I are so happy that you enjoyed yourself.Our hard work feels so rewarded when we hear from happy guests such as yourself!
Montréal
“GO THERE! RIGHT NOW!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Best sushi restaurant in the world. SERIOUSLY.

Rolls are amazingly good and creative. Generous with local fresh fish... even the drinks are unique (raspberry infused vodka, wasabi bloody mary, etc) !

Try the bombay and capt'n'crunch rolls.

We went there one night... and returned the night after! Service is A1.

There should be a lineup ALL THE TIME in front of this restaurant.

What are you doing?? GO THERE! RIGHT NOW!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
alohapeter, Owner at Sushi Rock, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Guillaume..Thanks you so much for your wonderful review and for taking the time to write it.We take every table very seriously and all of us are so gratified to hear that you enjoyed your experience at Sushi Rock.Aloha and much mahalo-Peter
“It Rocked our Boat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

We have been to Kona 10 times & now discovered Sushi Rock FINALLY!! THE Best sushi & everything else ever. Being a native of SF, Sushi Rock in Hawi puts our sushi to shame. The owner, Peter has found his true passion in life with the miracles of his creations of love, outstanding Flavors & unusual offerings. The greatest ever!
The sweet purple potato cheesecake will make you fall in love & only yearn for more. The best ever food on the Big Island Mahalo Peter & Sushi Rock

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
alohapeter, Owner at Sushi Rock, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
You know,the enthusiasm that you and your family displayed in my restaurant is the sole reason (and the soul reason) I do this.My staff and I work so hard to create an experience like the one that you had.I am so grateful that people respond to what we do and what we have created for people like you.Thanks so much for everything you said and know that we will work hard to be the best we can be. Aloha-Peter