“Terrifc in every way!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kealakekua Bay Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Captain Cook
Kealakekua Bay Bed and Breakfast
You added Kealakekua Bay Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
82-6002 Napoopoo Rd., Captain Cook, Island of Hawaii, HI 96704   |
Ranked #6 of 15 Captain Cook B&B and Inns
Naples, Florida
“Terrifc in every way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

Wow is all I can say! This has been one of all time favorite Bed and Breakfast experiences. We like to travel and stay in Bed and Breakfasts because we feel that we get a better feel for an area that if we were to just stay in a hotel. This particular trip to Hawaii my husband had a work confrence up at one of the large hotels so we thought we would balance it out by staying at a Bed and Breakfast for the rest of the time on the Island. Kealakekua Bay Bed and Breakfast is top notch! the staff is incredibly accomodating! The manager Emily is and incredible cook each breakfast was different, gourmet, and tasy! That would have been enough but the actual Bed and Breakfast is the most beautiful house on what I think is the most beautiful piece of property in all of the area!
Not only would I suggest this place to my friends but I have already booked our stay for next year! I can not speak highly enough about this place. Off the beaten path and perfect for some one wanting to get the most for their money while relaxing in the lap of luxury. My husband and I are in love!

Room Tip: Ali'i Master Suite!!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

My boyfriend and I came to the Big Island to visit my family who live in a neighboring town. We were both hesitant and nervous about staying at a Bed and Breakfast. We are friendly people but didn't know what to expect in such a communal situation...Was it going to be too much interaction? Will our innkeeper be crazy?? Quite the contrary! Our hostess(Emily) eased anxiety with our first phone conversation to reserve a room. She is totally laid back and very cool. She is also a wealth of knowledge about the doings/goings of such an amazing island. When we arrived, we were instantly in awe of how beautiful the landscaping was. My boyfriend and I are both "aggies" and loved the fact that there are many crops grown on site, some of which will land on your plates in the morning. Emily met us outside and made us feel welcome within seconds. Our room(on the lower level) was very clean and smartly decorated. I would describe it as understated elegance! There was a great view of the backyard and bay from our room. I am a "cute product" type of girl, so I instantly fell in love with the bath products. They are organically made in the neighboring town of Hilo. Very awesome smelling and useful for both men and women. The room also had wine glasses and an opener which was a bonus for my winemaker partner! The bed was extremely comfortable. There is no air conditioning but it is not needed with the breeze and ceiling fan. The breakfast was very yummy and fresh! The presentation alone is worth writing about. We shared our breakfast with a couple from Germany who were repeat visitors to the B&B-very cool conversationalists. The B&B is about a 20 minute drive from the touristy part of town and beaches. Fun dining and shops nearby. The bay is very close and an awesome snorkeling spot within minutes. Make sure you go to the "Place of Refuge". Unforgettable. Overall, I would rate our experience as a 10. You just can't beat the quality and for a very reasonable price. My only con would be one route to the B&B is down a very steep and windy road. If you have motion sickness like me, my advice is to be the driver or go the other way!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

A serene escape that truly let me relax. Gorgeous grounds with stunning views of the bay in a gorgeous tropical setting. The accommodations were clean and comfortable with plenty of spaces to lounge, meditate or gather for a chat with friends. I love the bath products!

Emily and her staff were all friendly and helpful making great suggestions for activities on the island.

I can't wait to return.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Duxbury, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

With a west-facing view of Kealakekua Bay, this beautiful, green-minded B&B with its incredibly friendly and helpful host and staff is a wonderful value. The bay offers the best snorkeling on the Big Island and while having a delicious breakfast on the fabulous balcony overlooking the bay, you can tell if the spinner dolphins are in the bay - if they are, walk five minutes to the shore to rent a kayak and paddle out for the time of your life watching these adorable creatures. The snorkeling is great. Once you are out by the Captain Cook monument (a 20 minute paddle from shore) the fish are so numerous and the water so clear, you can even see them from rocks where you beach your kayak. The weather here is always warm and virtually rain-free, unlike much of the rest of the Big Island.

Room Tip: There are only three rooms and they are all nice
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dortmund, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

We are a couple from Germany (32). We came here following a recommendation by a Swedish friend we met on Maui. And we ended up staying seven days instead of the three we had planned with. The best place we have been to on all the islands (and we may mention that we also stayed in all the Hyatt resorts on the islands).

This beautiful house features
- a great ocean view from the breakfast table or from the huge garden
- delicious breakfast with fresh fruit from the garden, (gluten-free) hot crab cake or baked cheese-filled puff pastry with salad and fresh mango juice
- a wonderful and lovely host, Emily
- huge garden
- perfect location for kayaking (also rentals three minutes by foot from the b&b) to Captain Cook monument (snorkeling, dolphin spotting)
- one of the closest places to a "hidden" snorkeling location within five minutes by foot
- still in reach of the Volcano area
- close to the famous "two step" snorkeling location.

Of course, the popular sandy beaches are further up north. But we took two day trips there, and would never prefer a beach-close location to this oasis. For (some really good) restaurants you have to drive all the way up (10 minutes).
We stayed in the Lehua room. We are not used to such soft matresses but they were comfortable nevertheless. Last thing to mention: We loved the Hawaiian Shower gel and shampoo in the bathroom (Later saw them in the Hyatt resort on Kauai - not included but for sale in the spa...)

In four words: We loved this place!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Sausalito, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

I highly recommend this B&B. This place was fantastic. Emily was very attentive and helpful but laid back. And she is a 5-star gourmet chef! You can't find a better breakfast anywhere on the island. The room was nice, screened windows with nice breezes and sounds of the ocean. The beautiful lanai has a gorgeous view of the bay and is a great spot for whale watching. The yard is nice and the snorkeling gear was a great perk. There's a 5 minute walk to some of the best snorkeling on the island. It is also a good location from which to explore the rest of the island.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

Where do I start. Emily the Inkeeper (what a great title) and what a great person. She came out and met us in the driveway with a big smile and welcoming demeanor. She was very generous and accommodating.

We stayed 4 nights inTthe Pali Room at the end of a very rigorous trip through the Hawaiin islands (Kauai, Oahu, Maui and The Big Island). We chose this place as it was away from the city and the high concentrations of tourists.

We were treated to:
- Spectacular views out sea from the B&B and beautiful gardens - whales frolicking
- Quiet and private rooms with a small fridge and beach towels
- Extremely comfortable bed
- Private bathroom with quality body products - this place was purpose built for a B&B
- Gourmet full breakfasts - including fresh organic and gluten free foods
- Friendly conversation and meaningful discussions with other guests
- Great tips and advice from the Emily of the history of the area, where to visit and what to see

We had a wonderful time and spent 2 days lounging around the B&B "reading" and 2 days exploring the South and West sides of The Big Island.

We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Kealakekua Bay Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!