“The best Thai food I ever had!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Junjira Fresh Thai Kitchen

Junjira Fresh Thai Kitchen
82-6066 Mamalahoa Hwy, Ranch Center Shopping Center, Captain Cook, Island of Hawaii, HI
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 22 restaurants in Captain Cook
Cuisines: Thai
Description: Although this great new restaurant is in Captain Cook the Strip Mall is actually called the Kealakekua Ranch Center. It is located below the grocery store Choice Mart .
Bern
“The best Thai food I ever had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

If you love Thai food and are on the Big Island, stop in Captain Cook for Junjiras. It's worth to drive there from the other side of the island! It's located on the main road, just after the post office in Captain Cook, downstairs from Choicemart, about 20min south of Kona. I love Thai food and eate it in many places on this planet, including much more expensive restaurants. And the food at Junjira is my absolut favorite! I love it so much, that I was just daydreaming about it and longing to be back on the island to eat there again. Even a friend of mine, that grew up in Thailand and was very sceptical of Thaifood in the US loved it! I have tried every item on the menu (yep I eat there very often! :-) and everything was delicious, but my very favourite is their yellow veggie curry. You can tell them exactly how spicy you would like to have it, for me they added something between their medium and spicy.

The owners are a super nice Thai family that are always smiling and in such good mood. They cook everything fresh, with lot's of organic produce from the local farmers and whitout MSG (that most Thai places add and causes stomach problems for many people). Once I came 5min before closing and told them, that I would take whatever they have left. They looked at me in total disbelieve and explained, that their never pre cook any food except rice and cook every dish fresh, when you order. This was astonishing to me, as I waited usually only 10min for my food.

If you don't have time to wait, you can also call them and order before you arrive. And since it's just downstairs from the supermarket, it's convenient to do groceries until the food is ready. It's mainly a take out place, but has a view tables outside, some of them under the roof. So that's about the only thing, they could improve, to have a nice indoors restaurant. But then I guess, they would have to make their very good prices much higher, so I find it perfect as is! Since lot's of businesses had to close in the last years in South Kona, I really hope they stay! So please go check it out yourself, the only danger is, that you might wanna move to the area, because of their food ;-)

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

92% Recommend
“Delishious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Fresh delishious Thai yummyness!!! Friendly family runned little Thai take out right on the heart of South Kona. Love this place and return often. I can count on their consistency and fresh tasty ingredients.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Excellent food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We live near this Thai restaurant and eat there often. Foor is good and also inexpensive. Good menu. Eating at tables outside or take out.

Kona
“New kid in town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This little hole-in-the-wall place below Choice Mart in Captain Cook has had several incarnations. This latest version involved a Thai family setting up business - and we love Thai food, so we were excited to check it out. We've been very happy with every order we've gotten here! There's really no place to sit except at a few tables outside; it's mostly a take-out place. One day I suggested that they use food containers from recycled materials rather the standard styrofoam - ad the next time I was in, a couple of months later, most of the food was packaged in the recyclable containers! . . . an indication that they are responsive to their customers, always a good sign. I hope they succeed!

• Visited April 2012