“Best Pork Laulau anywhere!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ka'aloa's Authentic Hawaiian Food (Super J's)

Ka'aloa's Authentic Hawaiian Food (Super J's)
83-5409A Mamalahoa Hwy, Captain Cook, Island of Hawaii, HI
808-328-9566
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 25 Restaurants in Captain Cook
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Alaska
“Best Pork Laulau anywhere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I love this place. When I'm on the Big Island I usually eat here 2-3 times.
the first time I ate here was several years ago. I was looking for Hawaiian food and I found it on the internet (not sure which site Yelp or Tripadvisor, etc.?). When we got there it looked like a somewhat rundown house on the side of the road -- the tropics are not kind to paint.
It had limited parking and the atmosphere seemed a little intimidating; we were not sure it was the correct place...but we went in and I'm so glad we did.
The first time we walked in the family of the owner were having a taco dinner on a plastic picnic table in the middle of the room - I ordered pork laulau and my meal came with (poi on request) it normally comes with white rice, and potato salad, (it also comes with a salmon ceviche- I don't like ceviche so I didn't try that) but everything I ate was totally delicious. They told us we could sit down at the picnic table with them, so we did and we ate our pork laulau while they ate tacos. They were all very nice...we have since eaten there several times on that same white plastic picnic table and I always get the pork laulau with poi and potato salad and my husband gets pork laulau with white rice and potato salad - the food is always delicious!!!
The owner is always there and is very nice...she always remembers me (I always order poi instead of white rice and that seems to be a little out of the norm-I love the stuff but I don't know anyone else who does - my husband won't touch it).
This place has gotten more popular over the last few years, the last time we ate here was February 2014 and while we ate on the plastic picnic table we watched the Food Network review of the restaurant.
Go and order the Pork Laulau you won't be disappointed - it's delicious!!!

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Florence, Oregon
“Treated like one of the family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Amazing food at a place you have to look for. Hard to find place and doesnt look like much but you will be treated like ohana and the food is so good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Raleigh, NC
“Best meal on the Big Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

So glad I did my research and knew to look for Super J's, cause I would have missed it. If I could have some of Super J's pork lau lau right now I'd be a very happy girl. It's nothing fancy but it's authentic and fabulous and made with LOVE. Get the pork lau lau, then get more to go- great for breakfast the next day!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lexington, South Carolina
“Best Lau Lau on the Big Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We found out about this place on our last day on the Big Island. Another place we stopped at to grab a quick bite told us about the most original Polynesian food on the island, and it was only 15 minutes away from where we were. We drove around for a while and finally went back to Super J's.
It is not what most people would expect. but let me tell ya...It's AWESOME. It was featured on Best thing I ever Ate on the Food Network. Check out their You Tube Video if ya get a chance. The Lau Lau was very tasty and the Pig & Cabbage as they call it was Great too. It might be a good thing that we didn't discover this earlier in the week because we might have eaten here every meal....its just that GOOD !!!! These ladies invited us into their home,yes their Home and treated us like family which made the experience much more enjoyable.
If you are ever on the Big Island and on the Kona side, Give Super J's a try. They are located in Captain Cook area.
You wont be sorry !!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Atlanta, Georgia
“If You Don't Know Polynesian Food....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

Go here!! Ask the proprietress to make a plate for you. Great food and I learned about the food and her lifestyle. You are sitting in her house & fresh food was being delivered as I ate. A wonderful experience!

Visited May 2014