“Very good address” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Manago Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Captain Cook
Manago Hotel
You added Manago Hotel to your Saves list
82-6155 Mamalahoa Highway, Captain Cook, Island of Hawaii, HI 96704   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Captain Cook
shenzhen
“Very good address”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

We spend 2 nights in this hotel. The first one we have a "Japanese style" room which was very very good. Amazing view from the balcony, traditional bed, wall and bath. It is clean.
Staff is very friendly and can provide a lot of information (bus schedule, places to go, advice about restaurant).
The restaurant has tasty food for a good price/quality. It's a mix between Japanese, Hawaiian and American food so you can find something you like.
It is far from the beach but if you have car it's not a problem. For the backpackers, the bus station is just front of the hotel. Very convenient!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Britney M, Guest Relations Manager at Manago Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review of our hotel. We are so pleased you enjoyed our Japanese Room during your stay and that our staff was able to assist you with all of your questions. Please come and visit us again the next time you are in Captain Cook we would love to have you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

This hotel is very easy to find, conveniently located on the main street crossing Captain Cook. Most GPS with car rental already have it in their favorites and if not, it will be easy to find. 10-15 minutes away from Honaunau and less than 10 minutes away from Kealakekua Bay. It is also 25 minutes away from Kona and there's a couple of stores and restaurants minutes away from the hotel - you can literally just walk 2-5 minutes to 3-4 options.

The parking is large and there is enough space. This hotel will actually clean your room everyday, changing your bed sheets, towels and vacuum the floor. When I asked the cleaning lady to ignore my room since it didn't need cleaning, she looked at me very surprised and I had to explain that I was actually capable of spending more than one night with the same bed sheets. Staff were always friendly, smiling, and helpful. They work in the office, the kitchen and you can see they enjoy their business.

There is a restaurant within the hotel, that offers breakfast, lunch and dinner. Now I did have breakfast and was really disappointed with the lack of <<Hawaiian>> options. They served toast, cereals, french toasts, eggs, pancakes, etc. Nothing, aside from Guava Juice, was personalized and I believed that it would have made it more enjoyable if there were fruits, different syrups, etc. However, since I am rating the hotel and not the restaurant, and since breakfast is not included in the price of the room, I did not remove stars for this reason.

I did remove starts however because of how incredibly noisy it is. Now the paper thin walls are already something. I heard everything my neighbors did, from love to arguments, but worst is, I could say which of my neighbor were doing these noises because I could pinpoint where the sound was coming from (left, right, up, balcony, hall, etc.) Doors were often slammed and the plexiglass binders in the bathroom were not covering any sound, both in and out. Just walking in the hallway, passing in front of rooms, you could tell who was taking a shower. And all that time, I was wearing earplugs, which means that the sound needed to be very strong for me to hear it clearly with earplugs.

The worst of all sounds was definitely the rooster in the courtyard, that you could see from the balcony. Starting his erratic sounds at 6h30-07h00 am, repeatedly for over 40 minutes until I got up, and there was no way not to hear it and to escape it. Earplugs and pillow over my head, and its sound would be still very clear. Now I presume that the rooster belongs to some neighbors of the hotel, because what type of hotel wants to forcibly wake its customers in such a way? I would really recommend that the hotel finds an arrangement with the neighbor and fix that issue. Out of the 3 nights I was there, I was awoken twice by the rooster. I tried to go on the balcony and scare him away but the rooster is definitely use to sounds. Someone even threw something at him to shut him up, but that didn't discourage him. If you have very deep sleep, you should be find, but if not, this could be a deal breaker.

The room is very basic, I did like the balcony. The bathroom is large enough, away from the bed. Bed was average and I also enjoyed the little bench to put my luggage on.

To sum it all, aside from the noise, this is a really good hotel, not too expensive with enough services to make you enjoy your stay, and that saved the hotel from a lower score because of the amount of noises from everywhere.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your review of our hotel we always appreciate feedback from our guests! We are so pleased to hear that the staff and convenience of our location met your expectation. We are sorry however to hear about all the noise issues you experienced. With regards to the roosters, they are actually wild and don't belong to any neighbors making it difficult to contain them. We are doing our best to deal with the situation and hope it will not hinder you from coming to stay with us again. We really do appreciate your business and will do our best to address the noise.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

We stayed 2 nights in the Manago Hotel on the Big Island of Hawaii.
- Main building was built in 1917 but obviously was added on to several times over the years.
- Private bath rooms ~ 42, and communal bath rooms ~ 20.
- We had a private bath room.
-- Few "amenities" but a clean room with a good bed at a very reasonable (by Hawaii standards) price.
- Only minor complaint was the local roosters crowing in the morning - easily solved by closing windows and/or wearing earplugs when you retire.
- Friendly staff.
- No pool or room service

A throwback in time, but we'd stay there again.
Good value for the money.
Like staying with your older relatives.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Honolulu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

The room is very spartan but exceptionally clean. A very friendly housekeeper who is a professional keeps the commode and shower stall sparkling clean on a daily basis. The towels are white, very fresh, and exchanged daily! There is ample hot water that washes away your fatigue in no time 24/7! The dining room is reminiscent of the old plantation days of Hawaii with a bustling kitchen and a cheerful restaurant staff. The place is filled with both hotel and local guests with a very warm atmosphere. Yes, definitely--the pork chops will "broke da mouth"--a local way of saying very, very delicious! And definitely get the Japanese green tea too with your meal. It just gives you that plantation days feel! There is no TV or air conditioning except a nice sliding door and jalousies in the guest room but free internet and parking--ample parking. A clock radio is your standard companion with the correct local time. If you want your dose of daily news on the tube, go to the TV lounge next to the front desk. You can nibble on a candy bar sold in the vending machine in the lounge or at the front desk while watching TV while your companion make use of the lounge's library. We had a breathtaking ocean view although he can hear footsteps and talking from adjacent rooms. If you want a simple, clean place without the touristy bling, I'd say this place is for you. You want to enjoy Hawaii for its natural beauty and not get caught up with all the tropical drinks and souvenir stands, I'd say this place is for you again. We followed our fellow TripAdvisors' reviews and asked for a room on the third floor--there's a steep flight of stairs that goes straight to the 3rd floor, but I'd say you need to be alert and quick; otherwise, use the "normal" stairs. There are rooms with communal baths and toilets in this hotel but roughly ½ the cost of a standard room. Come to think of it, the standard rooms are all ocean view rooms. We'd stayed at Manago for the experience but if you are looking for value, this is definitely the place too. Be advised--I'm giving this property 4 stars because of the experience and getting away from the urban life (minus the internet) but if you are looking only for value and the most bang out of your buck, don't be a pain and cause misery to the friendly staff here.

Room Tip: Request for the corner rooms and third floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Alameda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

This is the best deal on this side of the island. We stayed for 2 days and loved it. The rooms are a bit on the older side, but they are clean. The staff was so great!! Overall, the hotel had great character and beautiful gardens on the property. Very close to the botanical gardens. The pork chops in the restaurant were fabulous. We will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Clean, friendly, efficient, cheap. The Japanese family running this place has been making it go since 1917, and it's pretty impressive. We were very pleased. We paid $65/night... In Hawaii that's a total steal.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

We stayed here for two days. Overall great choice.
There was an amazing view from our balcony. It was close to Kona and the coffee farms and Portuguese bread making and the local botanical gardens ACROSS THE STREET! (highly recommend both!)
There was a great garden and great landscaping and lots of chickens so it was a charming little place.
During the coffee tour, we asked locals where we could get some local food and they recommended our very own hotel. The food was local, exotic, sort of retro style, and SUPER inexpensive for what we got. They are known for the pork chops but I thought everything we ordered was great. A filling egg, Portuguese sausage, papaya, and coffee breakfast was also a great deal.

I highly recommend the coffee tour, botanical garden across the street, and sampling (and even helping make!) the Portuguese bread if you stay here. All are a short drive or walk from this hotel.

The only down side was that every morning, the roosters would wake us up. :)
But if you don't mind the rustic feel, that's ok!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Manago Hotel? Share your experiences!