“One of the best "tours" I have ever done!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 16 Attractions in Wilson
Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Learn the basics of Barrel Racing, and Team Roping in a safe and controlled enviorment, go as slow or as fast as you are comfortable. No experience needed. Who wants to go on a trailride when you can learn how to do this.
Charleston, South Carolina
“One of the best "tours" I have ever done!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Wow, what a neat experience. I grew up in Texas and watched rodeos, but I never actually participated in the events/activities. My family of four (myself, my wife, and two boys ages 11 and 13) signed up for "Intro to Rodeo." I basically made my family do it because I thought it looked cool. After our two week vacation across Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion, we all agreed this was by FAR the highlight of our trip.

Neither of my boys had ever been on a horse, and by the end they were trotting and even galloping the horse around the barrels, lassoing a "fake cow," and even working with one of the instructors to guide a real cow around the pen just like a cowboy on a ranch! The instruction was fantastic, and the horses were extremely well trained. They made me think I knew what I was doing on the barrel racing!

One of the assistants used our camera and took pictures of us when she didn't have other duties. This was HIGHLY appreciated. The smiles on the faces of my boys (and my wife and me) are great and show how much fun we were having.

The tour is a bit pricey, but in my opinion is worth it for the truly unique experience. We did a horseback ride through Yellowstone a few days later, and it paled in comparison to what we did here - gallop around barrels, lasso a steer (fake one moving with a tractor), and guide a real steer around the pen. I highly recommend this for anyone, especially families!

Visited June 2013

Maryland, USA
3 attraction reviews
“Great fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Five of us with varying degrees of horse skills did this and had a ball. Jamie and her team were terrific, the horses were very good and the events were fun. Some of our party were good riders, but they still had fun. It is way better than doing the usual trail ride

Visited June 2013
Joliet, Illinois
4 attraction reviews
“Much better than a trail ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Jamie our instructor was great, and patient as was the owner(I'm forgetting her name) and Nevada! I would say you should be fairly comfortable on a horse for the barrel racing and roping. I think it would help you focus on those activities as opposed to worrying about the riding part. It was definitely great to do something different than the usual trail ride. The barrel racing will work out your inner thighs a bit if you're not in riding shape, but wasn't too bad the next day. Beautiful setting on the ranch and scenic drive there from Jackson. If you're looking for new and different experiences- do it!

Visited May 2013
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Best thing we did in Jackson area!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Jamie Putnam's Intro to Rodeo was an absolute blast. It was the best thing we did while in Jackson Hole area. The horses and facilities exceeded our expectations, instruction was individually tailored to our skills, and they made everything fun while still being informative and challenging. We were at the tail end of our trip to Yellowstone and Jackson Hole area and I was feeling a bit horse deprived. (I am a horse owner/low level event rider). We stumbled onto her program on recommendation from a trail ride guide (and fellow rodeo participant with her) from our hotel complex. At first I was going to sign up to go solo, but she convinced me to bring my husband along too. He has some riding experience, but it had been at least 15 years since he'd been on a horse. We both walked away from the experience gushing about how fun it was and that we wanted more. A fantastic vacation experience!!!!

Visited August 2012
boston
11 attraction reviews
“Rodeo in Wilson”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Had an excellent time with Jamie as an instructor. Spent 2.5 hour learning how to ride around barrels and roping steer. Very impressed with Jamie's daughter Nevada winning barrel racing as a 4 year old. The instruction as clear and concise and anybody should be able to do it. More fun than the usual trail riding will definitely return to get the next class

Visited September 2012