“Air conditioning and a great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Teton Village
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toms River, New Jersey
“Air conditioning and a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here at the beginning and the end of our vacation in Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. It was a great place to stay in the summer to access Grand Teton. The Moose-Wilson Road was a short ride to the park entrance. It was particularly hot during our stay and we appreciated the air conditioning for sleeping. The room was clean and quiet, we were in the annex building and we had plenty of room and two sinks in the bathroom with plenty of space. It should be noted that the Moose-Wilson Road is closed in winter.

Room Tip: You may want to request a room that does not overlook the parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights at end of a long trip in the Jackson area. Had stayed at sister resort Teton Mountain Lodge a few years before and wanted to try Terra. Probably would not return - better options with better views at similar prices. Teton Mountain Lodge has a less interesting interior (more traditional) but the 1 bedroom suites are larger by far. Similar views. We stayed in a studio suite # 518 with a balcony and a limited view of the ski mountain. Paid over $400 a night.

The pros:

1. Modern, clean design (interesting furnishings, stainless appliances, Bose sound (but see below))
2. Full kitchen, which we did not really need. Nice if you do, but it takes half the room almost. Don't really need a table for 4 in that room - no way 4 people are staying there.
3. Comfortable furnishings -- large L shaped couch, chair. But it's hard to pull the drapes because they are stuffed behind the couch. Another sign the room is too small.
4. Murphy bed comfortable
5. Spa very nice, modern (good facial)
6. Quiet - ventilation system in room, no noise from hall or other guests
7. Friendly staff
8. Italian restaurant in hotel very good but book ahead on Open Table - gets busy
9. Proximity to tram (5 minute walk)
10. Free parking in big lot near hotel (probably harder to come by in winter)
11. Nice cafe with morning coffee and healthy breakfast options

The cons:

1. Noisy ventilation system on roof near room, which made it unpleasant to leave balcony door open
2. Very small room for the price. I realize the dimensions are on the website, but it is SMALL for 2 people with almost no room for suitcases. We stashed one behind the door, another on the floor by the couch, and another on the floor by the kitchen table. Closet was no more than 2 feet wide, so not an option. A 1 foot wide chest of drawers. If here during ski season, good luck finding room. We almost booked a 1 bedroom suite but were advised by reservations agent that a studio suite was the way to guarantee a mountain view of ski hill and a balcony. Had we been there more nights, we would have requested to move.
3. Slowest elevator I've encountered anywhere. We were on the 5th floor and just used it for luggage, otherwise, take the steps.
4. Small rooftop hot tub compared to sister resort. Apparently, they convert a plunge pool to a hot tub for winter.
5. We booked earlier this year and ended up paying about $150 a night more than if we had booked at the last minute. I realize there is a price for certainty, but we felt ripped off a bit.
6. Despite two requests, they never were able to fix the Bose system iPod dock so we could not use it. Don't think it was user error, given cables still weren't fully connected even after second request. I think we should have gotten a 5% credit for this, because it was one of the reasons we booked the room level. Didn't ask and it wasn't offered.
7. Many rooms will overlook a big parking lot. Ask about views. After being there, "village view" to the north might be best.
8. Screen door on balcony barely moved when we checked in. We requested it be fixed and it was. Still, makes me wonder if housekeeping has a checklist they use to make sure everything is in working order. (Bose system iPod dock being the other problem)
9. Lots of light in the room at night - while drapes cover main windows, there are three above the sliding door to the balcony and they let light in from the neighbors.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I chose this hotel for my first night in JH, knowing that I would want a nice place to relax and get a decent night's sleep before heading to Yellowstone National Park. Upon arriving late at the hotel after a long travel day filled with delays, I was happy to hear I had been upgraded to a one bedroom suite. The room was the size of a nice one bedroom condo.
The living room had a full size bathroom, pull down queen Murphy bed, and a decent size kitchen with stainless appliances and cherry cabinets. It also had a flat screen TV, couch, and large balcony. The bedroom was fairly standard with a king size bed and TV, but the en suite bath had a large tub and double sinks which was very nice. My boyfriend and I were joking that we wanted to live there. I really wish I could have stayed more than one night. My only suggestion for improvement would be for the hotel to invest in more comfortable mattresses. That being said, this hotel will be on the top of my list if I come back.

Stayed June 2013
Chesterfield, Missouri, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Recent summer stay. The double queen room is extremely, uncomfortably small for the price point. The window shade had to be drawn and awkwardly tucked behind the queen bed headboard while reaching behind the bed lamp and big square shade which was already bent, torn and badly scratched. It was necessary to draw the shade because our room was in viewing distance from their hostel structure. Our room was in general disrepair. The bathroom shelf under the sink holding the towels was broken on one end causing towels to slide to the floor, the window screen frame was bent exposing a 3 inch gap and the bed lamp and shade were scratched and bent. This was OK but reported by us none the less so we would not be charged for the damage. The worst of the disrepair occurred when opening the door to leave, the door frame with all the nails sticking out came crashing down on top of me. Never stay at the Hotel Terra. You can find a better place for the price point or a comparable place for much less. Absolute worse $300/night hotel stay.

Room Tip: We had a corner room. Crazy long dark hall before entering the room. Probably good for storing thi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
David K, General Manager at Hotel Terra Jackson Hole, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Denise R,

Let me begin by saying how surpised I am to learn that you had to endure such a horrible experience in our hotel! We pride ourselves on ensuring that no one suffers through a stay like yours in our hotel and, in fact, have years of a proven track record on TripAdvisor to prove it.

I do want you to know that the previous guests that stayed in your room (and checked out the same day you checked in) made no complaints or reports of any damage whatsoever. Additionally, two housekeepers and one inspector also reported no damage to the room prior to your arrival. This includes "bent, torn and badly scratched" lamp shades, "broken" shelves or "window screen frame was bent exposing a 3 inch gap". All of these items are inspected prior to evey check in and we have replacements for all available for immediate installation.

I would also like to point out that your comment related to "the door frame with all the nails sticking out came crashing down on top of me" could not possibly be true. Because of your complaints at check out, your room was inspected immediately and the door frame was found completely intact, especially the piece that would have been above you or capable of "crashing down on top of me". What we did find was severe damage to the frame where the safety latch is attached, as if someone had slammed the door with the safety latch engaged or blocking the closure of the door. Again, something that would have been caught upon inspection prior to you checking in to the room.

I'm very sorry but I cannot substantiate your claims of damage that existed in your room upon check in. I would like to strongly suggest that in your future travels should you find damage in a hotel room upon check in you should report it immediately so management is aware, doesn't blame or charge you and can take corrective action immediately.

Wishing you the very best form Jackson Hole!

David Kingston
(307) 739-4061
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Booked the hotel through Hotwire. Once I got there, my family decided to upgrade to an one bedroom suite because our family needed the additional space. The hotel staff was kind enough to give us a complimentary upgrade to their two bedroom suite which was splendid. The room was very spacious and luxurious. It was well equipped with everything we possibly needed. We stayed for 3 nights and the kitchen was a great asset to have a meal inside once in a while. Other areas of focus:

Food: Had their pizza in the Osteria restaurant, great pie.
Service: Very friendly and helpful. The front desk, cleaning staff, and the concierge were all very helpful and courteous.

We came back and decided to try the Four Seasons on our way back from Yellowstone and must say that Hotel Terra was much more friendly and hospitable. Definitely recommend Hotel Terra.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Clarksville, Tennessee, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This is a nice hotel with a helpful friendly staff. However the rooms at the lower end of the scale (still not cheap) are very small. I mean very. I you can afford it, get a suite. If not, maybe you will want to stay somewhere else.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights during our honeymoon. While the room was very comfortable, modern, and clean, it was a little too fancy for it's own good. Have you ever been around someone who has every new gadget, but it's so advanced that they have no idea how to use them? That's what this place seemed like. The TV wouldn't work, so someone had to come reboot the whole thing. The phones had so many confusing options that I ended up just calling in our room service from my cell phone.
Don't get me wrong, the place was super nice. The staff were excellent. We mentioned at the front desk that we were on our honeymoon and when we returned the next evening, there was a nice note from the front desk clerk with chocolates. The bellman had to come up to our room 3 times in the first hour for various things and was always gracious.
Overall, the hotel was very nice. Great location for exploring Grand Teton National Park, great on site facilities, and wonderful customer service. We are considering coming back during the winter for some skiing!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Terra Jackson Hole? Share your experiences!