“Great hotel and location, shame about some of the staff” 4 of 5 stars

Alpenhof Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3255 West Village Drive, Teton Village, WY 83025   |
Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Teton Village
UK
“Great hotel and location, shame about some of the staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

This is a lovely hotel in Teton Village. We found mostly good points about it, and a couple of minor bad ones, but I'll start with the positives. Great location, as you are just a mile away from the Teton Park entrance. A beautiful looking alpine hotel. The other location to stay in this area would be Jackson which I think was about 7 miles away.

The hotel has free parking, and lovely clean rooms. Our room was quite small, but was kept nicely and the bathroom was clean. There is a nice outdoor pool with some loungers and chairs, so this was nice for a couple of hours in the evening after being out walking. As per usual with hotel pools, it only takes a few people to ruin it for everyone else (screaming kids, parents shouting across the pool) but other than that it was very restful and this is,of course, not the hotel's fault. We saw staff talking samples of the pool water too which is a good sign.

The breakfast included is great - hot and cold food and good quality. The staff in the bar were extremely helpful the first afternoon we were there, giving us tips on things to see and do in the area. One of the chaps should have been a travel agent, he was great! And we had a nice welcome from the owner on arrival.

The not-so-good points. The restaurant closes about 8.30pm (I think) because the hotel cannot currently get staff to work there. This was a shame as we had to cram in an early evening meal and it was a bit rushed. The evening meal we had was OK, perfectly acceptable, but we thought very over priced at average $28 - $30 for what was essentially sausages and some potatoes. We had a meal the next night at the Snake Lodge Hotel next door, which was also about $30 and I have to say this was far better food for the price we found, sorry Alpenhof, and better ambience. They don't seem to have trouble with staff there, so we were not rushed out and had a nice evening. There is also a great Italian further up in the village, between $14 and $20 for a main and excellent food.

The other minor point against the Alpenhof was a slightly strange issue with the reception staff and waiter at breakfast one morning (I think echoed by another reviewer who has mentioned some grumpy staff - such a shame as they were not all like that, but that is what you remember). On the first morning of our stay, we were up and about at 7am (jet lag!) so wandered downstairs at 7.15. We noticed the breakfast room was open, lights on, music playing and 4 or 5 couples in there ehalf way through their breakfast. We therefore thought breakfast must have started at 7am. The next morning, we came down at the same time and wandered in. There were no lights on, however, and the reception staff then followed us in and said 'breakfast isn't until 7.30.' I explained that yesterday it was all going at 7.15, so we thought it would be again today, but we were happy to wait. She stated that the chef wasn't ready. I said that's fine, we’re not in a rush. We proceeded to sit down on a large couch in the centre of the room neat to a big log fire area and relax, as we thought it wasn't worth going back up to our room just for 10 minutes. Then, I heard the reception staff behind us say to the breakfast waiter who had just come in: 'there's a couple over there that just snuck in, they're over there on the couch.' I thought this was quite odd, as we hadn't 'snuck' in (or rather sneaked, the correct word......), we had walked in right in front of the reception desk staff, through the wide open doors! If they don't want people in there, they should close the doors! And why did she feel the need to point us out to the waiter as if we were naughty children who were hiding from the teacher - we were sitting right in the middle of the room, for all to see! Said waiter then proceeded at 7.30, to offer every other guest in the whole room coffee, and blatantly ignored us. Not a problem as we were going on a long walk in the Tetons and didn't want any, but I thought this was very petty and childish behaviour, not to mention unprofessional. I'm not sure what he thought he was gaining from this behaviour, it was really pathetic. I'm still not sure what their problem was - we simply sat on the couch for a few minutes and waited for breakfast. I don't know why the lady felt the need to 'tell on us' to her mate, or what this mattered to them that we were sitting there. This did not of course ruin our stay and I am not going to slate the hotel for it, but it was a shame that the staff had to behave like that towards guests, and I have to say these were the only people we encountered like this during the whole of our stay in America. Staff everywhere else were fantastic and gave us an amazing impression of America.

I would certainly recommend the hotel to other guests based on quality, value for money and location, but my suggestions for your stay there are do not pay $30 for the dinner, go next door (or drive to Jackson, there are some much cheaper and better restaurants there), and under no circumstances turn up for breakfast a moment before 7.30am or you will risk the wrath of the jumped up staff and the associated coffee ban……..And don't dare go and relax on the couch, via the open doors.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

177 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Fremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

The location was perfect. It was right next to the Jackson Hole Aerial Tram Ski Lift. There were plenty of fun things to do, such as mountain biking, bungee jumping, rock climbing, and the beautiful tram ride to the summit of Mount Rendevous. The hotel was very clean and the staff were very friendly. The T.V service and bathrooms were pretty good as well. The breakfast was greatly enjoyed the breakfast as well. Defitnetly drive to Jackson for lunch or dinner becuase of high prices in Teton Village.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

nice location and above averge quality. Hot breakfast buffet is included. The price is more acceptable than others in the area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Spring, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

My wife and I spent 3 nights at Alpenhof after touring YNP and GTNP. Due to the timing of our stay (the week before Memorial Day), the hotel wasn't very populated (this was true for all of Teton Village and Jackson). They kindly upgraded our room for free because of the availability to a corner king room with a balcony. Our room deal came with free breakfast, which was we eagerly took advantage of. The continental breakfast had eggs, sausage, bacon, fruit, muffins and croissants; there were other menu items available to order as well. The coffee and tea was good, as was the OJ- although I with the glasses had been bigger.

We really enjoyed the Bavarian country inn feel of the place. The service and staff was excellent to us and made sure we had everything we wanted. We had friends stay at a different place in Teton Village that didn't have the charm or coziness that Alpenhof did. I wish we had been able to stay during the frigid and snowy winter, because the atmosphere of the hotel would have fit perfectly. My main critique would be the bathroom- I wish there would have been a little more water pressure in the shower and/or a better shower head. The counterspace was a little clustered and crowded also, but this is where the criticism ends. The bed was extremely comfortable and the internet was very fast. We were able to upload pictures and do everything we needed to do very fast. There was lots of room for our clothes and hiking gear, as well as space to relax and unwind.

Because of an early departure, I cleared the bill with the front desk the night before we checked out, and she passed word to the night clerk that we would be leaving early. He had coffee and tea ready for us- an excellent personal touch. If you stay in Teton Village, I would start with Alpenhof first.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Edina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

I stayed at the Alpenhof the last week of the season with my husband and two children, we were not expecting much in the way of snow but were lucky and it dumped making the skiing a fantastic experience. We couldn't have picked a better place to stay, right next to the tram and a new heated walk way along side the hotel that made it easy walking to the gondola and other lifts. The folks (Mark and Ann) who run the lodge were very hospitable the lodge dogs (Same, Molly and new addition Lucy) made us feel right at home. The staff were warm and welcoming and always greeted us when passing in the hallways. The restaurants had no problem in accommodating my daughter who had a wheat allergy. The rooms were exceptionally clean and well maintained. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants authenticity, friendliness and place with charm and character.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

The Good-location (right next to ski tram), breakfast, room comfort, price. And Ernie.
The Bad-Our greeting on arrival consisted of a one word demand,"name?". Not a single word of welcome. This attitude was echoed by the young man breakfast server who just about hissed at me when I moved some utensils. The notable exception was Ernie, the handiman/porter/all around helper. He was friendly,charming and had some great tips for finding hidden snow stashes. This experience was shared by my 2 travel companions. When one of them called the front desk to ask about weather conditions, she was told to come downstairs and look it up herself.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
San Mateo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

I am currently staying at the Alpenhof on a ski trip. It's a great hotel, and I would highly recommend it.

Location: About a 2 minute walk to the ticket office and tram, and a 3 minute walk to the ski lifts. You cannot beat the location. It's about a five minute walk to the Mangy Moose. The bus ride to Jackson is about 10-15 minute. The bus ride back is about 20-30 minutes.

Room: I stayed in the Queen Gable room. I liked the sloped ceiling. The room is paneled with wood. Has a great alpine feel. Flat screen TV with lots of channels. Has a love seat, a coffee table, and a desk. The bed is very comfortable. Bathroom is adequate, though the shower drains a bit slowly. The toilet drains a bit slowly too. There is also free wifi.

Hot tub / pool: Both are great. They are outdoors. I went swimming a bit...it's warm, but could be 5 degrees warmer.

Food: Breakfast is complimentary. Otherwise, for folks not staying at the hotel, it's $14 per person. The fruit at breakfast is great - strawberries, blueberries, grapefruit, grapes,cantelope, honey dew, pineapple. There is also eggs, potatoes, sausage, bacon, pancake/french toast, muffins, yogurt, danish, oatmeal, coffee, orange juice, cereal, and milk. The eggs and potatoes are decent. Today, the eggs were pretty good. I haven't really liked the bacon and sausage as much. The bacon is a bit thin. The oatmeal is a bit gluey - I think it's the quick cooking type.

Service - good service. Room cleaned well. Check-in was easy.

I would recommend this hotel if you are skiing at Jackson Hole.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Alpenhof Lodge? Share your experiences!