“Great Place, Great People, Great Food!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Deer Haven Lodge

Deer Haven Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ten Sleep
Deer Haven Lodge
You added Deer Haven Lodge to your Saves list
4301 Hwy 16, 18 miles east of Ten Sleep, Ten Sleep, WY 82442   |
“Great Place, Great People, Great Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My family and I stayed there the weekend of July 12th and 13th and had a wonderful time. The hotel room was just what we needed, and very nicely decorated! Comfortable and clean rooms all around. The restaurant was just as pleasing, we ate there everyday and were never disappointed. Very good food!

The staff at the lodge was a pleasure to be around. There were friendly throughout our whole stay. I own my own business in Utah and I can tell everyone there, from the owners on down, has a difficult job and works their tails off!

The lodge had a great mix of locals and out of town tourists like myself. It's great to see locals at a place like this and a thrill to converse with them about the area.

This is a cute lodge in a beautiful location. It's a shame that a few bad eggs have given Deer Haven such a negative rating on here. Come here for the hiking, fishing, and sight seeing! I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2013

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Shawnee, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We arrived at Deer Haven for a 4 night stay after spending the week before in Yellowstone. We had one of the 2 queen motel units for $129 per night. We knew that they had been recently renovated. The room looked a little shabby when we first arrived but we didn't mind that as long as it was clean. We quickly realized that the floor had not been cleaned or vacuumed in a very long time. The bathroom was also dirty. The toilet was dirty, the shower may have never been cleaned and the floor was covered with hair and things I don't want to think about. I wiped the hair and obvious filth from the toilet and shower but insisted that everyone wear flip flops even in the shower. At this point we still did not complain to the staff. It is a hunting/fishing lodge after all, not a Marriott so we where determined to make the best of it.

The lodge closes at 9pm and after that there is no access to the staff. At 9:30 when we pulled down our beds we found the most disgusting part of our trip. Neither bed had clean sheets on it. Both of them had VERY obvious filth, excrement and body fluids. I have never been so disgusted by a hotel room! Lucky for us, we had family staying in the Sitting Bull camp ground and they had enough odds and ends of bedding for us to make it through the night.

The next morning my husband and I went down to the lodge to request completely new bedding and for the bathroom to be cleaned. We where assured that they would take care of it. They also agreed too take that night off of our bill.

A few hours later we came back to the room to find the door wide open but no one there. The beds had been remade, I can't be sure that all the bedding was changed but at least the sheets were clean, although stained. The bathroom was the same as before, not even swept. They had thrown away the only bar of soap we had though.

Through out the stay we had to go ask every time we needed towels and even for toilet paper. When my husband asked for dry towels he was even told that the wet ones would dry! Of course they would but we had to use them to put on the bathroom floor for a barrier from the filth!

I don't blame the staff for the state of the rooms or the sub-par service. They are all young kids who have no idea what it takes to manage a hotel. They are nice boys who have not been trained in their jobs.

By the state of the room I would guess that they have never been thoroughly cleaned since the remodel. Because we have family that live in the area as well as some that spend several weeks a year camping there we have heard some of the back story for the management. Obviously there are some issues that need to be worked out.

This is a beautiful location and we have loved vacationing there for years! In the past we have stayed at a campsite. I love having the option of staying in a room that is big enough for my family as well as having a private bathroom. I hope they can work out their problems and remain open.

For $129 a night I don't think that a clean floor, bedding, and bathroom as well as having easy access to towels and toilet paper is that much to expect.

The area it's self is beautiful! My husband and boys had a wonderful overnight backpacking trip. We saw 6 moose during our stay, including a big bull right out side our front door. Trips down to Dirty Sally's in Ten Sleep for ice cream are always a favorite for the kids. It is a great location for a relaxing vacation!

Hopefully the owners can get the management issues worked out soon. Something will have to change before we spend more tine at the Lodges of the Big Horn's though!

Room Tip: Take your own shampoo, conditioner, soap, toilet paper, and cleaning supplies!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Worland, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I have been going to Deer Haven Lodge in the beautiful Big Horn Mountains for 38 years. We came from Omaha the first couple of years snowmobiling and then moved to within a 45 min. drive of Deer Haven. When the present owners opened the doors after they purchased the lodge and had done extensive remodeling I was there to order the first burger. Was very impressed with what the owners had done to get the place open after being closed for a few years. They have had more than their share of bad managers and the past review was written by one of them. Much of what they said is just plain not true. I have worked for the owners at all 4 of their lodges they own (not 3 like previously quoted by a past manage) part-time when they need me and still do. When a past manager gave South Fork Lodge a bad recommendation I decided I needed to say something. South Fork Lodge is a wonderful place, which you can decide on your own by looking up their reviews. It disturbs me that somebody could try and hurt somebodies business to try and get back at them for their own bad behavior. Why would they have gone back to stay at a place they ran down soooo bad when they live 15 minutes away. Even someone who has never seen Deer Haven could see untruths reading the review. I would recommend staying at Deer Haven. Although I think that many many years ago when Deer Haven got it's name it should have been Moose Haven. They are quite thick there. Come to the Big Horn Mountains and make your own judgement. I trust that you won't be disappointed. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have truthfully!

Room Tip: The Ranch House for large families that has a kitchen. The motel with rooms that sleep 4. Rus...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
London, Arkansas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We were invited to a weekend of snowmobilling at Deer Haven from a friend who is from the area. He had a large cabin reserved that easliy accomodated 7 of us. The cabin was rustic which was fine.The bedrooms were sparsely furnished but the bathrooms were clean. However, there were layers of dust under the beds and couches. No amennities were included which we found out after we got there that fire wood was one of the things not provided. We were told we were supposed to bring our own although this information was not shared when the cabin was reserved. When we offered to buy some, (they had a large stock of cut firewood), we were told it was not for sale. The cook then told us to go ahead and take some. Also, we expected to take our trash with us when we left. I realize this is expected when you camp or back pack but when you are staying at a resort or lodge?

I could have overlooked all of the above but our main purpose for the trip was to spend two days snowmobiling. We reserved 5 snowmobiles in November for this February trip. The day before we arrived I recieved a call that due to malfunctions they only had 4 available. After we arrived and payed for the 4 snowmobiles we found out there were only two available. We had brought two with us so we took turns riding even though our plan was to be out all day. We were also informed after we got there that there was a $500.00 deposited required on each snowmobile. This was not revealed when we reserved them. Also, even though we had them rented for 2 days we still had to return them each day by 4:00 full of gas. If we had not brought our own gas that would have meant driving four miles to their Meadowlark Lodge to get gas before returning them for the night which would have used up more of our limited use time.

Apparantley, they had a bigger snowmobile available that rented for $250.00 per day and when they called the owner to see if they could rent that to us he said yes for $250.00. Ours rented for $195.00 per day. We were amazed that they did nothing to to rectify the inconvience they caused us. They lost $1000.00 that weekend due to poorly maintained snowmobiles. We even stayed another day due to poor weather conditions that prevented us from going down the mountain. They could have offered us the use of the snowmobiles that extra day at a discount since they were not being used but obviously customer service is not in their vocabulary.

The owners need hospitality lessons. This resort was so poorly run. The only way they could be making any money, besides the fact that they are expensive for what you get, is that they have a monoploy and own the three lodges on that side of the mountain.They run the place like they don't need they money but their prices say the oppoite! I think during the season a lodge in such a beautiful area would be packed full of vacationers which was not the case. So disappointing because the area is beautiful and I would love to go back but will never go unless the place changes ownership.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Bridgewater
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We drove 10 hours to go snowmobiling in the beautiful Bighorns! After finding Deer Haven on the internet (the pictures looked awesome) & being told about all the renovations when we called, we decided it would be a good place to stay! When we got there we went into the cold lodge through a squeaky, tin-covered door to pay for 2 rooms for 4 nights of lodging ($119/night = over $1,000 with tax). We went to our motel rooms which were nice & comfortable for such a remote location. They don't have telephones or TVs in the rooms so with the hours of the lodge & bar being 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. we were bored to death in the evenings! There is no cell phone service so you must use the lodges phone at $1.00 per minute EVEN IF YOU HAVE A CALLING CARD to pay for your calls! We ended up having to leave after discovering there was no water the day after our arrival at 8:30 p.m.. We decided to wait until the next day to see if they could get the water working but after driving to the ski lodge to go to the bathroom & freshen up the next morning, we were told that the aquifer went dry. This place had the nicest managers & amazing food but when we tried to resolve a refund for 2 nights, we were only given 1/2 our fees because the owner, Wayne, wouldn't allow the management to give a full refund. When the owner was confronted we were treated like dirt & he wouldn't even visit with us to resolve this! He has alot to learn about customer service & how to appreciate the customers that are providing his income!!!!! As customers we spent alot of $$ on food, drinks, lodging fees, gas for our snowmobiles (we were told we could get gas at Meadowlark (same owner) but the pumps were down when we got there so they offered us gas at $4/gal. from Deer Haven's tank), nearly $20 in phone calls at $1/minute, amongst other things! After all this we will never be going back to this place or any of the 3 other places that this guy owns! This place needs ALOT of work!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Loveland, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We were charged 89 a night for the "rustic" cabin. It was in terrible condition: smelled like natural gas from the heater, threadbare carpet, the porch had soft spots in the wood, fluorescent shop light for the light, and a separate bathhouse with no exterior lights..for almost 100 per night. When we asked to see the motel room it was beautiful, new rooms with private bath, but the entire building is still under construction and there is no coffee maker or microwave. And the restaurant doesn't open till 8. No drinking glasses either, but the room was lovely at 129, per night came to 149 with lodging tax rates. The guy who worked there kindly offered to open early for coffee but was going to charge us double..at the room price coffee should be comped. The restaraunt was good, the teen boy who ran the front desk was great and the lady who worked there was sper sweet. The guy was none of those things. Meadowlark further up the hill looked nicer, next time we will stay there or in Ten sleep which is super cute.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rapid City, South Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

A group of us stayed in the campground and cabins for 3 nights. Upon arrival the new Managers (said they had been there about a week) informed us there was a Forest Service fire ban so fires were not allowed in the campground but the main fire pit in front of the lodge could be used. After our trip we learned there had never been a Forest Service fire ban. A member of our party asked to use the phone in the lodge (using his calling card) and was refused and had to drive to Tensleep to use his cell phone. The "rustic" cabin I stayed in for 1 night had two twin beds and an old lamp and a heater that could be plugged in. The smoke alarm was open without a battery (They said they would fix it when I notified them upon checkout). By "rustic" they must mean run down as these cabins were all in need of a lot of maintenance. In the campground there were places where water was seeping through the ground, probably due to leaking water lines. The bathrooms/showers were very run down and not clean. Two cheeseburgers with fries and soft drinks in the lodge came to over $26, a little pricey even for the remote location. With such a beautiful location this could be a nice place but they would have to spend some $$ to fix it up. I would not return to Deer Haven in it's current condition.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Deer Haven Lodge? Share your experiences!