“Simple, basic, and just what we needed” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Sundance
Tucson, Arizona
“Simple, basic, and just what we needed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

When making a road trip of well over 5,000 miles in 2 weeks, we look for inexpensive motels that are clean and safe. This one fit our needs perfectly. Our rooms were good-sized, the beds were comfortable, the a/c worked very well, and everything was clean. They don't have a continental breakfast so they provide a discount coupon for Subway which we used. They have an indoor pool and spa but we didn't have time to enjoy them. We did enjoy the guest laundry room and were most grateful to see it. The front desk staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Teresa D, Manager at Rodeway Inn Sundance Mountain Inn, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for the kind review of our hotel. I have shared your review with our staff and they we're excited to hear that our hard work and improvements are pleasing our guests. Thank you again and we hope that you will choose to stay with us again when travelling in this area.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Iowa City, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Room was dirty, one bed looked like it had been slept in. Very old! slept in clothes on top of beds. Worst stay I've every had in a hotel. My son woke up to a spider crawling on him. Paid way too much!! Don't stay here!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Teresa D, Manager at Rodeway Inn Sundance Mountain Inn, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at our hotel. I am sorry you were disappointed on this occasion and I apologize for any discomfort you experienced. I appreciate your feedback and have discussed the issues in your review with our housekeeping staff. They are committed to addressing these matters and ensuring that problems do not occur again.
Thank you again for your review, and we hope that you will consider this an isolated incident and that you will continue to stay at Choice Hotels for quality accommodations and services in the future.
poteau
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

After we saw the reviews, we were very nervous about staying here. The front desk clerk was young, but she was very cheerful and professional. We had trouble with a lock, and she fixed it for us. We had a nice stay, the room was clean. We had coffee in the morning with directions to a little café for breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stay here whenever we are in town for the Sturgis Bike Rally. The staff has always been very friendly to us and point us in the right direction for local attractions and restaurants. During Sturgis they always have "bike washing area" (water hose and towels/wash cloths) for YOU to wash your bike. You can park outside your room door and if the weather gets too bad you can actually get your bike under the roof overhang for your room (I know I did it with my Ultra Classic). The breakfast is the usual continental type, but on the main strip in town there's a great diner called Higbee's Cafe where you can get a great breakfast and in the evenings you can go to the Dime Horseshoe Bar for a cold beverage. You don't have to book it for all week either, if you want to stay for two nights or seven it doesn't matter (during Sturgis Bike Rally). The place is an older hotel and could use a fresh coat of paint inside and out but for the price we'll stay here.

Room Tip: They're all the same... unless you want an end unit.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Teresa D, Manager at Rodeway Inn Sundance Mountain Inn, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review! We are an older hotel, but this spring, we have made some improvements and invite you to come see! We have a brand new ice machine, new floor in our guest laundry, not to mention New dryers in the guest laundry as well. We also painted rooms, and have new heat/air conditioners in the rooms. We are pretty proud of our improvements and are ready to show them off! And for Rally this year, we will still have the "Bike Wash" area and plenty of rags. Come on in, and see what we have to offer. Hotel Improvements, Friendly Staff, and Clean Rooms. I know we have had some bad reviews, but please don't let this deter you. Those are not typical situations, and when bad things happen, we have learned from the mistakes, and used the negative comments to improve our hotel inside, and out. Thank You again for the great comment, and we hope to see this season!
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Because of medical emergency, we had to change our reservation from the Sundance Mountain Hideaway to what we thought would be an at least decent hotel through Choice Hotels membership. The only one that Choice Hotels listed was Rodeway Inn. Nobody answered the phone that Choice hotels had listed for Rodeway Inn, when I tried to make a reservation this morning, and that should have been a tip off for the quality of service that one could expect. So, I called up Choice Hotels' 800 number and got some guy speaking with a distinct foreign accent which I could not place but could have been India or some other nation sucking away our USA work. He kept reading off his script and it was difficult to have a conversation. He told me that they did have a choice hotel in Sundance and it was Rodeway Inn. He read from his computer screen, just as I had, that it had a continental breakfast and tried to go on with all the amenities but I asked him to just make the reservation. He did this as well as continuing to read from his script. Finally he was done and he told me that I needed to understand that there was a 72 hour cancellation at this hotel and we were already past that cancellation time. That should have been my second tip-off to a bad hotel, but I did need a room for the night, so I okayed this.
We got to the motel at 7pm. The office was locked and they had a phone near the door with instructions to dial 0. When I dialed zero, the person answered and said "Security". No idea why she said that. Not "Front Desk". Not "Office". She may very well have been security because she was very casually dressed and did not look like someone in charge of a Front Desk. Once she showed up at the office and let me in and then did the check-in procedure, I asked her where the breakfast would be and she told me that they no longer had the continental breakfast. Okay, I guess I can deal with that since I'm afraid this multi-talented "security"/"front desk" person may very well be the one making the breakfast and I don’t think I am comfortable with that. So now the cost of my stay in Sundance has increased by the cost of breakfast for myself and my wife, in the morning. And I can't help thinking about the great FULL breakfast included at my original reservation, that I had to cancel, at the Sundance Mountain Hideaway bed and breakfast for the same $80 per night price as I am paying here.

So we go to our room and start unloading the car. The air conditioner is blowing ice cold air and I shut it off and turn it onto heat and walk out to the car. As I am unloading the car, I hear the room fire alarm go off and I run back in and there is smoke everywhere because it is coming out of the A/C - Heater unit. And it isn't just the smoke; it is the stench from the burning inside the unit. It permeates the room. I go back over to the office and use the phone to dial Zero and get the young girl who answers "security". I tell what happened and she says that, well the heaters are not supposed to be used. I tell her the room stinks and I want a non-stinking room. She says she will look. She waits a few minutes and tells me I can have a similar room two doors down. All this time I am waiting outside the door for her to come and let me into the office. Finally, after ten minutes or so, I called her on the phone again and she said that she was inside the office and I could come in. She gave me the new key cards and I asked her if I were to turn the heat on in this different room, is this same thing going to happen. She said she doesn't know but the units really aren't supposed to be used for heat. She said that she would give me a couple of extra blankets. I asked what about when we get up on the morning and it is cold in the room? She did not have an answer for that and I said I was going to keep turning on the heat in each room she would give me until I got one to work correctly. (Just bluffing.) She said "Well, its the rooms fault, not mine." I said, "No. You are in charge and it is your problem." (I can't imagine that she has ever watched "Hotel Impossible" on the travel channel or even read TripAdvisor.com. Unfortunately, I did not have time to check on this hotel myself, since we are traveling and desperate, but I will definitely be putting in my two cents when we get back home. After all, I have it all typed up already. Do motel owners not realize how badly they can be hurt by bad reviews?) I also told her that I understood why this motel has a 72 hour cancellation policy. (Nobody who had normal cancellation time would stay here, after seeing what it is like, other than the bikers that they seem to cater to.) So, I went to my new room, turned on the heat and the same awful smell came out but I turned it off right away, so it only lingered for a while. But now, we still have no heat in the morning when I know we will need it.

Additionally, the bottom sheets on the bed are not fitted and the sheets do not fit the bed and no way can be tucked between the mattress and the box springs and so I am sure the sheets will be all over the place as soon as we get into bed. I so well remember what it was like before fitted sheets. What a mess. And that was when the sheets could be tucked in.
There is an old toilet in the bathroom that holds 3-4 gallons of tank water and does not flush well as evidenced by the filthy toilet plunger setting next to the toilet, on the floor, no less. Are these people absolute pigs? I would say yes. They think this is normal?
While the building looks "nice" on the outside, what you have here is a very old building that has been poorly and cheaply remodeled. The bathroom door is original and the hinges on the bathroom door are all corroded and look original. The fan/light switch is the same one from many tens of years ago. Same bathroom door, hinges, fan switch, fan, tub and toilet still here after 30 or 40 years? The fan sounds more like a helicopter taking off than a fan. (I know because I was on a flight for life 4 days ago and that is what ended us up changing our plans and at this slovenly kept motel.) It is really that loud. This is room #126, if anyone cares.

There have also been some "repairs" made on the outside of the bathroom wall and they were so poorly done. You can still see where the repair was not made properly and the remains of some kind of cracked hole is still there. The paint was also done half-[--] and did not even cover up the repaired area.

Also, if it can get even more disgusting: The shower curtain is the type that normal hotels will take out after each guest and wash. Not made to be used by multiple people. Not plastic but cloth. This thing is all crusty and discolored and I'm sure it has never been washed or changed at all. The folds in many places are "solid", so to speak, and are cast into their shape by multiple applications of soap and water bounding off multiple bodies. I did not try to bend them to see if old soap would crack and flake off. I didn't want to touch them. Imagine trying to take s shower without the curtain touching you. Hard to do. Revolting.

So, I am sorry to say that Choice Hotels, of which I am a member, even has this motel listed. I am having a very hard time believing that Choice Hotels actually sends someone to check on their member hotels. They must just have the hotel owners fill in a form and believe everything they say.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Victoria, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

There isn't much accommodation in Sundance, Wyoming. Unfortunately we chose the Rodeway Inn. The clerk was friendly, and the place looked reasonable on the outside. But it went downhill from there. The advertised pool was closed. We were given the key to a room that was already occupied, yikes! The room we ended up in was dismal. Shabby, worn out, dirty, with sagging beds and a mouldy tub. The bathroom light switch also activated the fan, which rattled and roared loudly. When I turned on the overhead heating fan, a strong smell of burning dirt was emitted. There were two rolls of toilet paper, neither with much left on them. No tissues in the dispenser. No coffee maker. No fridge. No glasses to drink from, not even paper ones. When we left at 7:20 a.m., there was no one in the office to check us out, just a key drop-box. Rodeway, clean up your act. We will never stay in a Rodeway again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We were supposed to stay 4 nights at this Hotel for the Sturgis Bike Week. But after 3 nights, we asked the personal if we were able to cancel the last night because we had to return back to Montreal. Urgency  The lady at the front desk made a phone call & said o.k. no charge. But when we received the bill, the fourth night was charged. I called the manager (Therese) and said you reserved for 4 nights so it is charged, no refund. I don't want to say the real words for that incompetent Manager but It was the first time I been at that Hotel and it will be THE LAST TIME TO.       Regent

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rodeway Inn Sundance Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!