“Awesome ! Our best holiday.......” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shell
The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch
You added The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch to your Saves list
3170 Road 40 1/2, Shell, WY 82441   |
“Awesome ! Our best holiday.......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

The Hideout is exceptional in every respect.

My wife, daughter (aged 12) and I (inexperienced rider) had the most fantastic time at the Hideout. The setting is breathtaking and varied. The rides into the Bighorn mountains are exhilarating and fun; cattle work a unique and authentic - if a little tiring - experience ! The overnight camping trip is a must. The kayaking is wild and great fun for all except the unbalanced like me. The fishing I am told was excellent.The horsemanship and equine care is second to none and the selection of horses to match abilities is careful and precise.

The lodge is surrounded by beautifully appointed cabins and well maintained lawns and gardens. The food is excellent and Sheena is a superb and creative cook with everything, including cookies, homemade. All the guests meet for drinks and dinner and so it's really easy to meet people : its fine to travel on your own, as you will fit in whatever.

Peter and Marijn, Paula and David are wonderful, friendly hosts and very professional. They go out of their way to make sure all the guests feel part of the family. Their staff selection is excellent and Tom and the wranglers and Rebecca and the lodge staff are always available, accommodating and willing to help. Nothing is too much trouble for anyone. The shop is a dangerous area with lots of great stuff to buy or hire : you can become a real cowboy/cowgirl overnight. The food, ambience, environment is stylish, elegant and yet informal and hugely relaxing.

We cannot recommend this highly enough and hope to return one day soon. My only - hopefully constructive - comment is that the website undersells the location and experience. Oh, and an expresso machine would go down well with the Europeans !

This is a first class destination that significantly exceeded our - already high - expectations. We would like to thank the whole team for giving us such a memorable time.

Jonathan, Lucie and Lettie

• Stayed August 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Milford, Connecticut, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

So I booked this trip for my wife and three boys. None of us had any real riding experience. In fact when friends asked, I’d say: “I’ve ridden before and hated it.” I took the plunge based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. My kids are 12, 10 & 8, and I wanted a place where they would do more than play on their iPods all day. Too many trips with them where I think “Why did I spend the money on flights—we could have stayed home and done this!” I wanted a place where we would do things outside, but I’m not quite qualified to lead the team—arrange the gear, plan the routes, etc., and I really don’t want that much work while on vacation.

The price was quite a shock, but truly this was a week none of us will ever forget. We started out struggling to stay on our horses and by the end of the week we were loping with smiles from ear to ear. My 8 year old drove cattle! That’s pretty cool. The beauty of the area was an added bonus. I’ve lived in Colorado and been in the West a bunch of times. While the Big Horns Mountains aren’t as spectacular as the Sangre De Cristos, the view from the Ranch at sunset was about as pretty as I’ve seen. Also, riding in the mountains kept us cool on hot July days. The non-riding activities were not spectacular, but fun nonetheless. We did trap shooting and archery, and the boys and I spent half a day kayaking down the creek at the Ranch. Some of the adults did a bit more challenging kayak course, and I probably would have enjoyed that more, but the for the boys, what we did was perfect.

A few folks deserve special mention: Joel was our wrangler for most of the time, and he was fabulous—friendly, professional and a genuinely good person. Sheena in the kitchen was amazing. Every meal was a hit, even with our kids who can be difficult. The wait staff was extremely friendly, and the management team is just exceptional. They really value the guests and work hard to make sure the operation runs smoothly. One of our fellow guests summed it up perfectly: “I was worried about a place I booked on the internet from Europe, but when I pulled in and saw the condition of the fences, I knew I was in a well-run ranch.” I didn’t know fences said so much about a place, but he was right—the attention to detail really makes The Hideout a special place.

For me the thing that made this vacation so magical was we had the opportunity to fail as well as succeed. Disney is fun, but there’s no suffering—no real work required. You get the joy of the rides and shows, etc., but you don’t have to work for it. The Hideout allows you and your family to really bond by going through something together. I was worried our boys (and or my wife) would get frustrated, tired or sore and just want to give up. What would we do if we didn’t ride? Ultimately we all went through our rough patches, but when we persevered, and experienced the joy of loping our horses together it was elating. We bonded here like we never have on a vacation—no struggles to get the kids off their iPods, no complaints about waiting in line, or the heat, or the food, or anything. We toughed it out and got the thrill that comes with success. I can highly recommend The Hideout!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

The best way I can add to the many positive reviews of The Hideout is to share the letter I sent to owner/operations manager Peter De C:

Peter, thank you so much for the pleasure of staying at The Hideout last week with my daughter Beth. You ask me for suggestions re: making the experience better -- I must say, for the first time in my fairly extensive travel experience, I can't think of any. The week's stay at the ranch was impeccable; and the experience, as I'm sure you've heard from many prior guests, was life-changing. I want to share the comments I posted on your son Victor's Facebook page, where I expressed special appreciation for his kindness and wrangler-leadership during our last two (and most memorable) all-day rides:

Sincere thanks Victor, on behalf of myself and daughter Beth for the significant part you played in what was undoubtedly the best vacation of our lives, truly life-changing, vacation doesn't adequately describe the experience - it's more like a pilgrimage deeper into your soul. You are an amazing young man, and we felt privileged to be embraced as virtual members of your family last week. Looking forward to keeping in touch, and to meeting again, on the many Happy Trails our future undoubtedly has in store. Warm regards also to your Mom, Dad, Grandfather, and brother Edward - would love to ride with you both one day. All my best, always, Tim

I've been gushing about the experience to anyone who will listen to me ever since I got home. I feel I have made many friends during my week at The Hideout; and thanks to your son, your father, and your lovely wife Marijn, we were made to feel like family. Special thanks to Marijn, a very special, memorable, wonderful lady -- delightful to listen to (Beth says she should read the telephone book on to an audio tape for a half hour and sell it so people can just listen to her voice with its sophisticated accent) and be with -- a kind and patient teacher, a gracious hostess, and an accomplished horsewoman to emulate and learn from.

I'm so looking forward to my return in October 2014, and daughter Beth perhaps in 2015. By the way, I waxed so poetic about the experience, that my life-partner Ken, a confirmed non-horse rider (never a day in his life) has now agreed to come with me and share this wonderful adventure, and with any luck, his life will be permanently changed for the better, too.

Please give my very best to your beautiful family; and please also extend my very best to your sister Paula (our first night at the Hideout, I was privileged to have her as my dinner companion) and to your entire wonderful staff -- from the wranglers we assisted as best we could each morning at 7am in the stable (Tom, Trece, Allison, Mel, Daniel, and of course Victor and Edward; Augustus and Seamus too), your wonderful Chef Sheena, your service staff Jessi, Jessica, Jen, Davina...and last but never least Katie and Rebecca...they have all become friends, and we miss them already -- by the way, we had great fun doing Zumba with Katie and Jessica, and I'd be pleased to offer Zumba to staff and guests on my return next Fall.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop here, and say once again, thank you for the memories, and thanks in advance for the many more to come. And also, just remembered to add, as a motivational speaker who has been doing sessions for the past twenty years, I intend to incorporate your "3Cs" (with appropriate attribution, of course :) ) in my upcoming classes -- you and your staff clearly practice what you preach, to great effect.

Happy Trails to you and yours, always,
Until we meet again....
Tim Glennon

Room Tip: All cabins are excellent...best cabin (by owners own recommendation) is mine: #20
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Menlo Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I took my 13yo daughter for a six days. She is a regular rider, and I ride once a year on trips like this one. We choose this ranch for the location, riding, food, and the international staff and guests. We were not disappointed.

Everything people have written is spot on. So I wont repeat all of that. A couple of pointers for people evaluating ranches

1. Riding -- The hideout is all about horses and riding. You get to do real riding and work, and they will let tailor the rides to your experience level. As the days go by, and you gain more experience they will let you change horses (more advance, or easier), and go on more challenging rides. We did 2 all day rides and some half day rides. All day means 8:30am - 4:30pm, with a break for lunch. We rode in small groups of 2-3 riders with a wrangler, except when we did the cattle herding. We have been to a couple of other ranches, and the riding experience here was the best of all of them

2. Location -- The hideout is one of the last places to be settled in the US. So you get to experience so wide open country. Its important that the location have some attractions for riding. Here you get to ride in the basin and the big horn mountains.

3. Food -- We are foodies, so we wanted something good at the end of the day. They have a gourmet chef who makes great dishes. They tailored the food to people needs. My daughter is a vegetarian so they made her something special every meal. Finally, they have a cocktail bar, and serve unlimited wine during dinner. Very nice touch. Most ranches are BYOB, but I prefer the ranch providing the wine and cocktails.

4. Size -- size matters. You want to go to a ranch that offers personal touches, and makes you feel part of it. You can't get that when they are 40+ guests running around. The hideout is typically 25 guests, which is perfect size.

Finally, be a cowboy for a week
- boots and riding socks
- a good cowboy hat
- long sleeve western shirts
- wrangler jeans
- gloves
- rain jacket

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Brookeville, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We still have one more day here, but I can't help but write my review early. Our vacation to the Hideout in June, 2013 has been spectacular. As a professional in the equine industry, I can attest to the excellent horse care and horsemanship. Tom (the head wrangler) and the other wranglers do a great job making sure that the guests are properly mounted and comfortable with their horse and tack. I'm impressed by how accommodating and they are, and how they really strive to make this vacation exactly what you want it to be... if you want to ride all day, you can. If you don't, you don't have to.

The food is fantastic and Shaina is a very creative gourmet chef! I love that the ranch is family owned and operated, and they join the guests for cocktail hour and dinner.

We really enjoyed the fly fishing trip with Mike and Rick from "The Humble Fly." If you've never been to a rodeo, go the the rodeo in Cody on Wednesday night, but be prepared to see a bit of the "real west," and not Tom's natural horsemanship. Speaking of which, the natural horsemanship clinic was very good, and proved to be especially beneficial to novice riders, as it helped them learn how to read and communicate with a horse. Team penning and cattle work was also a lot of fun!

Overall, I can't say enough good things about our vacation at The Hideout, and wish we had more time here!! I will be back!

Room Tip: I'm sure they're all good! We stayed in Cabin #21.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dorking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

do not know where to start, My husband and I went here in June 2013, spent 11 days in the Casitas, which r wonderful, cleaned everyday, had a living room small kitchen bedroom and bathroom, the wifi works great and had a washer dryer which is great, The view from the deck is amazing and got to be the best on the ranch, After long days in the saddle (u can ride all day or half aday or not at all what ever suites you) its time to meet up at the bar for pre dinner drinks and take a look at the photos the wranglers have been taking of your ride, The food is wonderful as is the dinning staff, all very laid back and family like, They go out of there way to make sure everything is right for you. The wranglers r great fun to be with and even for non riders will help u anyway they can, Each ride u go on whether cattle of just to take in the wonderful views of the big horn mountains or the painted hill are different everyday, The horses are a thing to behold and if u get up early enough go watch the wranglers bring them in each morning, the sight and sound is amazing. So would i recommend this Ranch, hell yer, and while I am here I will say a huge thank you to ALL the staff at the Hideout, you r all amazing, and we will be back next year

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Marine City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Just finished a trip of a life time at the Hideout. The Hideout met all of my requirements and more. Lodgings and Food top notch. The horses in very good condition and well matched with our participants. Safety is always a concern. Shell WY has beautiful landscape. Really enjoyed the cattle drive and the ride with the mustangs. Incredible.
For me what made this vacation so much more memorable was the personable staff and management. They were always available and so considerate. Top notch people. Our group of 25 received excellent service which made everyone happy and compatible.
Theresa

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!