“The Perfect Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shell
The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch
You added The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch to your Saves list
3170 Road 40 1/2, Shell, WY 82441   |
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“The Perfect Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My wife and I, non-riders, accompanied our daughter on our first western trip, as she wanted to ride and experience a week at a working ranch. The Hideout Ranch far exceeded our expectations and provided us with First Class riding, adventure, and complete relaxation. The wranglers were superb and always engaging, allowing all levels of riders to feel comfortable and safe. Our daughter, an advanced rider, found the daily rides magnificent as she experienced breath-taking terrains from the heated desert to the snow capped mountains. The food and accommodations were impeccable, reflecting a western flare, which added to the genuine ambiance. The entire Hideout team treated all guests as one big family, and no request went unmet. The chef was kind enough to prepare a special cake for our daughter as she celebrated her 20th birthday at the Hideout.

We enjoyed taking relaxing bike rides, touring a dinosaur fossil dig, and mountain driving while exploring the nearby towns of Cody and Sheridan. The highlight of our trip was a personal guided tour with Peter as we off-roaded into the high elevations of the Big Horn Mountains. Enjoying a picnic lunch and cowboy coffee as we huddled by a fire, alongside a waterfall as snow flurries fell, was an experience to treasure forever. Our week at The Hideout was truly spectacular and one that we would recommend for those who yearn to experience the highest quality lodge and guest ranch in the most beautiful setting, with the kindest staff. The exceptional personal care to details provided by the Hideout “family” ensures an awesome experience for all guests. The Hideout provides peaceful bliss with high adventure in top quality style. …..a perfect vacation. We will return!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
east yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Second time at the hideout (worried it would not live up to the first time)I need not have worried, again a fantastic time had by all. The wranglers spend endless time explaining over and over again how to do things (especially that blinking knot!!) horses all lovely and the accomodation, food,lodge staff fantastic. We especially loved the branding afternoon. To our fellow guests hope you had a good time too (keep improving the pool skills Will!), coming back again hopefully. Thanks again it was great. If you are thinking of a ranch holiday believe us don't bother looking anywhere else.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

If u love horses, horse riding, nature, great food, have an appreciation for warm, worldly, high quality customer experience, this place and the whole ranch and riding experience will not disappoint.

The wranglers are superb, the cabins and rooms will give top hotels a run for their money, service is equivalent to 5 star quality hotels in certain parts of the caribbean or even hawaii. host and owners are warm, genuine, and incredibly people centric. all the meals are prepared with Michelin Star care, attentiveness and high end ingredients. if u went On an all day riding
or cattle drive trip, u will be pampered with high quality gourmet sandwiches that will beat top end sandwich caterers like dean and deluca.

Horses are well groomed and taken care of. In other word, the horses are well trained, and matched to your needs with an emphasis on safety.

cattle drives are fantastic, the real deal,with real cowboys and cowgirls. on my trip we drove 500 cows 15 miles down bullhorn mountains thru shell to the base of the mountains in the first wk of oct.

Room Tip: 22 is good close to main lodge where meals are served, and closest to barn and road.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

My wife chose this holiday as she wanted to refresh her childhood riding skills. I had never ridden before so it was a whole new experience. There were 25 people from all around the world and we all met together the first afternoon for a theoretical orientation. For a non rider this explained most do's and dont's of riding. The next morning we had a couple of hours in the arena to understand how we were to ride these horses. Then off into the trucks each day to a different part of the 250,000 acres to ride. One day herding 600 cattle, another day on a countryside tour riding to a peak about 9,000ft above sea level for lunch. Riding through pine forests, rivers, marshes, desert you name it we did it. The Wranglers were fantastic at helping you at every turn. Thanks to Ramon, Sean, Tom for their positive help and especially to John for a day lost in the mountains.
Every night you all meet for drinks and a great dinner. The owners David and Peter and their wives met with us for dinner most nights. The accommodation is excellent, the experience is awesome, make sure you visit.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

We have just returned from The Hideout - an absolutely brilliant holiday! The scenery is fabulous, the ranch grounds are immaculate, the log cabins extremely comfortable and well-appointed, the food delicious. Most importantly, the horses are well-trained and cared for and the wranglers are charming, patient, helpful and great fun. The riding was fantastic - real cattle work (the best!!), stunning trail rides and optional clinics with the chief wrangler who was inspiring, a real privilege to watch. This wasn't the cheapest ranch holiday but I doubt that there are any better - the philosophy here isn't 'this is our programme, we hope you like it', but 'tell us what you want and that will be our programme'. How refreshing to find such a totally client-orientated place, all the staff here will go that extra mile to ensure guests have a wonderful time. Would recommend unhesitatingly to both riders and non-riders. Brilliant.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Palatine, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

This was the first full week vacation I had taken in years and while I arrived with a friend who couldn't wait to begin her riding adventure I have to admit I was a little nervous about being a non rider. My worries were quickly put to rest by the warm welcome, beautiful vistas, wonderful staff and my own cabin more comfortable then home. Every effort was made to make sure I was exposed as much of the surrounding area as I wanted to see. An additional benefit I enjoyed more than I imagined was being without cell service for the week! My week ended on an even higher note then I thought possible with a personal tour of Shell's resident Western Artist Ann Hanson's studio where I was able to acquire several prints to take home with me. It was one of the the most relaxing and restful week I can recall and look forward to returning in the future.

Room Tip: Every cabin has a spectacular view
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

If you like to ride this is a fantastic place. The riding staff is very knowledgeable and the horses are matched to your ability. Trail rides and real cattle work are both available. The food is outstanding. The scenery both in the mountains and closer to the ranch is awesome. The cabins are very nice on a par with a good hotel room and cleaned daily. They take a limited number of guests in order to enhance the experience. I have been five times, by myself, with my wife, my son and friends. I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: For those who want more room, ask for a casita.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!