“World seasoned traveller reports 10 out of 10 ratings” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shell
The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch
You added The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch to your Saves list
3170 Road 40 1/2, Shell, WY 82441   |
Nyc
“World seasoned traveller reports 10 out of 10 ratings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

If u love horses, horse riding, nature, great food, have an appreciation for warm, worldly, high quality customer experience, this place and the whole ranch and riding experience will not disappoint.

The wranglers are superb, the cabins and rooms will give top hotels a run for their money, service is equivalent to 5 star quality hotels in certain parts of the caribbean or even hawaii. host and owners are warm, genuine, and incredibly people centric. all the meals are prepared with Michelin Star care, attentiveness and high end ingredients. if u went On an all day riding
or cattle drive trip, u will be pampered with high quality gourmet sandwiches that will beat top end sandwich caterers like dean and deluca.

Horses are well groomed and taken care of. In other word, the horses are well trained, and matched to your needs with an emphasis on safety.

cattle drives are fantastic, the real deal,with real cowboys and cowgirls. on my trip we drove 500 cows 15 miles down bullhorn mountains thru shell to the base of the mountains in the first wk of oct.

Room Tip: 22 is good close to main lodge where meals are served, and closest to barn and road.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

My wife chose this holiday as she wanted to refresh her childhood riding skills. I had never ridden before so it was a whole new experience. There were 25 people from all around the world and we all met together the first afternoon for a theoretical orientation. For a non rider this explained most do's and dont's of riding. The next morning we had a couple of hours in the arena to understand how we were to ride these horses. Then off into the trucks each day to a different part of the 250,000 acres to ride. One day herding 600 cattle, another day on a countryside tour riding to a peak about 9,000ft above sea level for lunch. Riding through pine forests, rivers, marshes, desert you name it we did it. The Wranglers were fantastic at helping you at every turn. Thanks to Ramon, Sean, Tom for their positive help and especially to John for a day lost in the mountains.
Every night you all meet for drinks and a great dinner. The owners David and Peter and their wives met with us for dinner most nights. The accommodation is excellent, the experience is awesome, make sure you visit.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

We have just returned from The Hideout - an absolutely brilliant holiday! The scenery is fabulous, the ranch grounds are immaculate, the log cabins extremely comfortable and well-appointed, the food delicious. Most importantly, the horses are well-trained and cared for and the wranglers are charming, patient, helpful and great fun. The riding was fantastic - real cattle work (the best!!), stunning trail rides and optional clinics with the chief wrangler who was inspiring, a real privilege to watch. This wasn't the cheapest ranch holiday but I doubt that there are any better - the philosophy here isn't 'this is our programme, we hope you like it', but 'tell us what you want and that will be our programme'. How refreshing to find such a totally client-orientated place, all the staff here will go that extra mile to ensure guests have a wonderful time. Would recommend unhesitatingly to both riders and non-riders. Brilliant.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Palatine, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

This was the first full week vacation I had taken in years and while I arrived with a friend who couldn't wait to begin her riding adventure I have to admit I was a little nervous about being a non rider. My worries were quickly put to rest by the warm welcome, beautiful vistas, wonderful staff and my own cabin more comfortable then home. Every effort was made to make sure I was exposed as much of the surrounding area as I wanted to see. An additional benefit I enjoyed more than I imagined was being without cell service for the week! My week ended on an even higher note then I thought possible with a personal tour of Shell's resident Western Artist Ann Hanson's studio where I was able to acquire several prints to take home with me. It was one of the the most relaxing and restful week I can recall and look forward to returning in the future.

Room Tip: Every cabin has a spectacular view
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

If you like to ride this is a fantastic place. The riding staff is very knowledgeable and the horses are matched to your ability. Trail rides and real cattle work are both available. The food is outstanding. The scenery both in the mountains and closer to the ranch is awesome. The cabins are very nice on a par with a good hotel room and cleaned daily. They take a limited number of guests in order to enhance the experience. I have been five times, by myself, with my wife, my son and friends. I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: For those who want more room, ask for a casita.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Marshall, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

My first visit to the Hideout was 11 years ago (solo). My family sent me to the Hideout for my second (long awaited!) visit in 2010 as a birthday gift, again solo. My experiences were so awesome that I could not keep this spectacular experience to myself - thus, we planned a trip for the family in April of 2011.
Our 13 year old daughter and 14 year old son had only limited riding experience upon arrival. Thanks to the incredible skill, patience and ability to assess not only riding ability - but learning and interaction styles, the wranglers (Ramon, Shawn & Marijn) assisted my children in developing vastly improved riding skills. Both kids left the Hideout with enhanced self esteem, having stretched outside of their personal comfort zones to develop physical strength, skills and self-confidence.
I could rave about every aspect of the staff, facility, horses, program... simply unmatched! When asked what they considered the highlight of their experience my children stated: "The food, the people, the horses, we can't decide --- EVERYTHING, there was no single thing!" We all laugh because we cannot decide what we like best. We each loved it all.
There is one big thing we all liked least. Leaving the Hideout is very hard. You fall in love with the scenery, accomodations, family-like staff, horses... The overall experience is not one that you never want to end.

A huge thanks for all of the delightful memories and bonding that our 2011 Hideout experience provided. We are in the process of pulling together an extended family gathering for next year- Yippee!

Room Tip: Simply book your trip-they take care of everything
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

The attention to detail and accomodating of all guests wishes was by far the best I have ever experienced. The entire staff, including the owners, main concern was that all guests feel comfortable and enjoy their stay. Everyone was truly friendly and put you at ease. Nothing was overlooked. The daily activites were well thought out and organized for maximum enjoyment. Each guest is allowed to participate in as much , or as little as they wished. The atmoshpere was more like being with extended family on a special trip.
It does not matter what your riding ability is as the wranglers make you comfortable and adapt as needed. Every aspect from riding to working with the cattle was amazing.
The meals were were prepared by a gourmet chef and each one was better than the next.
The Hideout truly lives the motto "We put our customers first". This was the first vacation that my wife and I never wanted to end. We cannot think of a better place to be. We will be back.
P.S.- I thought of adding pictures but they would not do justice of the actual beauty.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shell
Greybull Motel
Antler Motel
Antler Motel
#2 of 6 in Greybull
4.5 of 5 stars 39 reviews

Been to The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!