“Absolutely brilliant holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shell
The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch
3170 Road 40 1/2, Shell, WY 82441   |
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Absolutely brilliant holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

We have just returned from The Hideout - an absolutely brilliant holiday! The scenery is fabulous, the ranch grounds are immaculate, the log cabins extremely comfortable and well-appointed, the food delicious. Most importantly, the horses are well-trained and cared for and the wranglers are charming, patient, helpful and great fun. The riding was fantastic - real cattle work (the best!!), stunning trail rides and optional clinics with the chief wrangler who was inspiring, a real privilege to watch. This wasn't the cheapest ranch holiday but I doubt that there are any better - the philosophy here isn't 'this is our programme, we hope you like it', but 'tell us what you want and that will be our programme'. How refreshing to find such a totally client-orientated place, all the staff here will go that extra mile to ensure guests have a wonderful time. Would recommend unhesitatingly to both riders and non-riders. Brilliant.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Palatine, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

This was the first full week vacation I had taken in years and while I arrived with a friend who couldn't wait to begin her riding adventure I have to admit I was a little nervous about being a non rider. My worries were quickly put to rest by the warm welcome, beautiful vistas, wonderful staff and my own cabin more comfortable then home. Every effort was made to make sure I was exposed as much of the surrounding area as I wanted to see. An additional benefit I enjoyed more than I imagined was being without cell service for the week! My week ended on an even higher note then I thought possible with a personal tour of Shell's resident Western Artist Ann Hanson's studio where I was able to acquire several prints to take home with me. It was one of the the most relaxing and restful week I can recall and look forward to returning in the future.

Room Tip: Every cabin has a spectacular view
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

If you like to ride this is a fantastic place. The riding staff is very knowledgeable and the horses are matched to your ability. Trail rides and real cattle work are both available. The food is outstanding. The scenery both in the mountains and closer to the ranch is awesome. The cabins are very nice on a par with a good hotel room and cleaned daily. They take a limited number of guests in order to enhance the experience. I have been five times, by myself, with my wife, my son and friends. I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: For those who want more room, ask for a casita.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Marshall, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

My first visit to the Hideout was 11 years ago (solo). My family sent me to the Hideout for my second (long awaited!) visit in 2010 as a birthday gift, again solo. My experiences were so awesome that I could not keep this spectacular experience to myself - thus, we planned a trip for the family in April of 2011.
Our 13 year old daughter and 14 year old son had only limited riding experience upon arrival. Thanks to the incredible skill, patience and ability to assess not only riding ability - but learning and interaction styles, the wranglers (Ramon, Shawn & Marijn) assisted my children in developing vastly improved riding skills. Both kids left the Hideout with enhanced self esteem, having stretched outside of their personal comfort zones to develop physical strength, skills and self-confidence.
I could rave about every aspect of the staff, facility, horses, program... simply unmatched! When asked what they considered the highlight of their experience my children stated: "The food, the people, the horses, we can't decide --- EVERYTHING, there was no single thing!" We all laugh because we cannot decide what we like best. We each loved it all.
There is one big thing we all liked least. Leaving the Hideout is very hard. You fall in love with the scenery, accomodations, family-like staff, horses... The overall experience is not one that you never want to end.

A huge thanks for all of the delightful memories and bonding that our 2011 Hideout experience provided. We are in the process of pulling together an extended family gathering for next year- Yippee!

Room Tip: Simply book your trip-they take care of everything
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

The attention to detail and accomodating of all guests wishes was by far the best I have ever experienced. The entire staff, including the owners, main concern was that all guests feel comfortable and enjoy their stay. Everyone was truly friendly and put you at ease. Nothing was overlooked. The daily activites were well thought out and organized for maximum enjoyment. Each guest is allowed to participate in as much , or as little as they wished. The atmoshpere was more like being with extended family on a special trip.
It does not matter what your riding ability is as the wranglers make you comfortable and adapt as needed. Every aspect from riding to working with the cattle was amazing.
The meals were were prepared by a gourmet chef and each one was better than the next.
The Hideout truly lives the motto "We put our customers first". This was the first vacation that my wife and I never wanted to end. We cannot think of a better place to be. We will be back.
P.S.- I thought of adding pictures but they would not do justice of the actual beauty.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

My husband and I visited the ranch with our youngest nineteen year old son in Aug/Sept and we will be returning the same time this year with both ours sons, the eldest being twenty four now, to celebrate my husband’s 50th birthday. He doesn’t know it yet as it’s a surprise and he’ll be bowled over as it really was the best holiday of his life. He’s a farmer you see, and thoroughly fell in love with the entire Flitner Ranch experience from the cattle programme to the fantastic job David and Paula Flitner and their family are doing with the Guest Ranch and for the community of Shell, Wyoming as a whole.

We’d never done any significant riding before and I was actually quite frightened of horses as a result of a negative childhood experience but when you’re from a family of men the whole cowboy thing was a real and present danger that was never going away even though we are from a tiny little island in the Channel Isles between England and France.

…….we didn’t choose the Hideout they chose us!
The prospect of choosing a ranch with our level of inexperience was daunting so I went on the Dude Ranch Association website and completed an online questionnaire of the type of ranching experience we were after (as close to Broke Back Mountain I seem to remember thinking at the time) and I was very unprepared for the hundreds of e-mail responses I received. I was so overwhelmed by the prospect of trawling through and googling each and everyone to see which one might be suitable, I almost gave up. A few days later I received a surprise phone call from a lovely man called Peter de Cabooter, the nephew of Paula Flitner from The Hideout in Wyoming, saying their ranch fitted my brief entirely. The rest was history as they say and we’ve now booked our second trip of many more I hope.

I didn’t gain the level of confidence my son and husband did but they weren’t starting from the point. I did however improve on a daily basis thanks to the fantastically patient wranglers and the lovely Peter and Marijn de Caboooter who are all so intuitive to the riding abilities of the guests, I can’t wait to get back in the saddle again. We look at our photos all the time and pinch ourselves we were so lucky the Hideout came calling to us.

Everything else you can glean from the many 5* reviews. The food, hospitality, cleanliness, friendliness and professionalism went far and beyond anything I had anticipated for this type of holiday and you must certainly not be put off by this negative review.

I wish you as good as an experience should you decide to choose The Hideout Guest Ranch for your holiday!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Deurle Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

I have been to The hideout at least once a year for the past seven years. Once I deserted them to go to a guest ranch just across the border in montana. Believe me, that was like stepping into a cold shower and since then I appreciated the hideout even more. Great accommodation, great food (and I live in food country of the world in Belgium) great horses and great multilingual and experienced, friendly staff. Going there feels like coming home now and after a while you also get to know other repeat guests. Top experiences last time : being at the edge of White Creek canyon on horseback, and riding a recently captured mustang trained by Ramon called Zingaro. even my dog Duke comes from Shell, you can still enjoy the company of his dad Panda and his brother Regalo at the hideout.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Been to The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!