“Great Old Western Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Wifi
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Saratoga
Erie, Colorado
“Great Old Western Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Yes, the only way to get to our 3rd floor room was to climb the steep steps and yes, there were fans instead of AC and no shower--a bathtub with a hand-held sprayer. Still, we had a parlor in addition to a bedroom, the breeze blew through the lace curtains and the bed and bedclothes were really comfortable. Everything was clean and the building has been refurbished with a lot of love. If there had been horses instead of motorcycles on the street, it probably would have felt just about like 1890.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We only stayed one night and it was perfectly ok. The guy in the bar/reception didn't seem to bothered when we arrived and just ignored us for a while, talking to a friend in the back room. When he did greet us, he seemed nice, but busy. After checking in, we realized the toilet was out of order, however it was quickly taken care of. The room was small (but it was the cheapest one, so maybe others were bigger), but the atmosphere was really nice. We liked the location right on the main street.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

We pulled in to the Wolf at 9 pm, no reservations, no problem because there's a bar on the first level, and the hotelier was operating it. The bar was rockin and smoky. Our lovely, old-timey feeling suite held two very comfortable queens at the back of the hotel section upstairs. Unfortunately it was about zero outside and, not expecting us, the proprietors had not turned up the radiators. The room reminded chilly till morning but we had thick comforters and were fine. I'm a light sleeper and had to put on some white noise to block the bar sounds and sleep. I'd stay again. not a corporate place.

• Stayed March 2013
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My daughter and I travelled from Laramie to Saratoga to visit the hot springs on a cold day this month. I had looked on-line for prices the night before and saw $65 rooms available along with higher priced ones. We arrived late in the afternoon and wandered into the bar to check in. The bartender approached us immediately and showed us what rooms were available and the only 2 left were #19 and 20 - both $90 rooms! I voiced my disappointment and he immediately dropped the price to 80 and gave us the keys to both rooms to see which we preferred. We chose #20, in the back of the hotel on the 2nd floor. True, it was positioned on the side facing the major thoroughfare and we could hear every car and truck that passed under our 19th century windows. But the beds were the most comfortable I have slept in in years! Very warm blankets, 2 queen beds, an extra sitting room with a tv and couch and a small but quite adequate bathroom. The corner "closet" is delightful and offers padded, feminine hangers. The room was clean and in beautiful condition.

When you visit Saratoga, if you are looking for first class lodgings with soundproofed rooms - keep driving. It is a wonderful little town with lovely people. The Wolf was comfortable and welcoming. I will stay there again if I pass through.

Dinner was at the Wolf restaurant. There are very few choices in town which probably explains the high prices. It was a bit disappointing but the quality of the food was VERY good. A salad bar was pretty extensive and very fresh. The shrimp scampi was very tasty but was not served with any pasta or rice - just a few veggies on the side. But since the only other options are bars, just go expecting to pay a bit more for the lovely atmosphere and great service. Friendly staff. Enjoyable meal. Again - I would eat there again.

Room Tip: Be prepared that you may not get a "soundproof" night's sleep, but enjoy the historic...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Broomfield, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

For our anniversary, we decided to visit Saratoga & the awesome hot springs. We shared the Apartment Suite with my brother & his fiancee & we all loved the "step back in time" feeling of this wonderful old building. The rustic charm & coziness of the suite suited us perfectly. The staff, especially Judd, were friendly, helpful & amazing! Our light dinner in the lounge the night of our arrival was delicious & our anniversary dinner the following night in the restaurant was even better! I will definately recommend the Wolf to anyone & everyone I know & we will definately stay there again! (we would like to 'explore' some of the other rooms!)

Room Tip: If you don't mind climbing stairs, the apartment suite is cozy & very charming.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Laramie, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed in the apartment suite on the top floor. 2 seperate bedrooms, a sitting room, a large area for watching tv with mini fridge(nice and cold) and a microwave. Small bathroom at far end.
By far one of the best rooms out there. Charming. Cozy. lots of character. Very clean and comfortable. Except for a little road noise from the street below, this room was very peaceful. Staff was very friendly, letting me check in 5 hours early.
I ate lunch and dinner in the on site restaurant. Top notch chef, great menu and friendly staff. One of the better restaurants in southern Wyoming in my book.
At $80 for the night, this is the best value in all of Saratoga. I don't usually stay in the same place twice so as to have different experiences, but I will most definitely return to the Wolf.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Wapiti, Wyoming, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

As someone who travels widely in the American West and beyond, I find the Hotel Wolf in Saratoga to be one of the most comfortable places I stay. The cozy rooms, great food, and friendly atmosphere of the bar are hard to beat.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Wolf? Share your experiences!