“Not as good this time” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 66 Restaurants in Rock Springs
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Open Range at the Outlaw is a popular local eatery serving breakfast, lunch and dinner daily - 364 days of the year. Fresh fish and the ever-popular Black Angus Prime Rib Beef - Au Jus - all prepared in our scratch kitchen.
Fulltime RVers
“Not as good this time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant many times over the 20 years I lived in Wyoming prior to 2000, but had not been there since. We had mixed feelings about our breakfast visit this time. My wife had the French toast with bacon, I had the Belgian waffle with sausage. Hers was good, my waffle was so-so (it tasted like and looked like it was made with cake doughnut batter) but my sausage was undercooked and tasted off so I did not eat it. Our server, Austin, was great but the food preparation time was very, very slow. The atmosphere is great and the table settings very nice.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Laramie, Wyoming, United States
“Breakfast in Rock Springs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had the veggie omelette, which I requested to be done with egg whites. It was overall good. The place was clean and the staff was very friendly (maybe a bit too friendly...). The only thing that upset me was the ketchup. It was Heinz, which means it was mainly corn syrup. If they had Hunts without High Fructose Corn Syrup, I'd have been happier. I also decided against french toast or pancakes because they didn't have real jam, jelly, or syrup. Just the icky Smuckers stuff (which is just more of the same no fruit, just high fructose corn syrup and GMO sugar).

Everything was reasonably priced. I believe my plate was $7.99 or somewhere around there. My iced tea was $2.00 (that's how they get you - overcharging on the drinks).

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Just an average hotel diner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Was not expecting anything great so was not disappointed.
The food is OK, nothing to write home about, but what one expects from a small hotel restaurant.
But its convenient on a cold winters night to dine in at the hotel rather than go out, so if all you are looking for is a simple meal, a cold beer or two, and maybe a conversation with a fellow traveler then this is quite acceptable.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Convenient good food, quickly.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stopped here and ordered pork chops with double veggies no gravy.... ( first day of paleo diet ) three small pork chops arrived with a very nice portion of fresh snap peas and finely chopped red bell pepper. I think even though delicious, the pork may have been slightly breaded, so if you have gluten issues ask the waitress.

• Visited April 2013
Tennessee
“Have had better steak at applebees at a fraction of the cost.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Only other option for a vegatable except for potatoes or pasta was over cooked corn. I will have to say the clam chowder soup was pretty good.