“Average lodging in a very average town” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Rawlins
College Station, Texas
“Average lodging in a very average town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The first thing that happened was that I got stuck trying to get into my room, and the lady at the front desk retorted to me when I called for help, "What do you want me to do about it? I'm at the front desk alone." They did not have my reservation for my dogs even though I notified them, and the lady at the front desk warned me that if I got caught with them in my room, that I would be fined. She did, however, added the surcharge to my bill for the pet fee.

The food in the restaurant that evening rated just plain 'ole bad. But the town doesn't even have a Dominoes to order pizza delivery. AND it's one of the most expensive Best Westerns I've stayed at.

I'd stay somewhere else if I had a choice. I had just driven as far as I could go that night.

Room Tip: Inside facing room unless you want to deal with smokers standing out on the balcony smoking.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Rawlinsgm, Manager at BEST WESTERN CottonTree Inn, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear TallPoppy81,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. On behalf of our entire team, we would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations.

We would like to begin by apologizing for the trouble that you had when you initially tried to enter your room. Unfortunately it appears that the door handle failed to properly engage when you tried to enter your room. Following your departure, our maintenance department was notified of the malfunction and has since replaced the handle. Now the response our front desk agent gave you is by far below the standard of service we strive to provide our guests with, and we have taken your feedback and shared it with our staff so we can improve our customer service.

Now the pet fee is our property policy. Rooms that have had pets require additional cleaning and laundry in order to prepare it for the next guest. We do apologize that when you booked your room that your pet was not reserved with you and you were not informed of our pet policy.
While Rawlins is a small western town it does offer many a wide variety of restaurant options including Pizza Hut, Dominos, and a Chinese restaurant which all deliver. In fact if you find yourself in our area again, we would recommend trying Anong’s which offers an amazing Thai cuisine.

Thank you so much for your time and we hope you will come back and see us again soon so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us directly at 307-324-2737.

The Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The resturant was good alng with the food.
Te room looked as if some one had a knifed the wall and covered it up with little wall paper patchs. The sleep was limited to the room being on the outside facing the freeway and tracks.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Cape Cod
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed here for one night while traveling from SD to Utah. I thought the room was a bit pricey for the location. The hotel was full of some type of utility workers while we were there. Our room was on the second floor with exterior entrance, and our door had obviously been kicked in because the slide security lock was broken off. Our room appeared to be recently remodeled and was comfortable. I heard people complaining that their room which was on the front side of the hotel was noisy. We ate diner at the bar on location and food was tasty, and service attentive. Complimentary breakfast was good, but service downright obnoxious with one waitress ignoring all customers except for a table of young men, other waitresses sat together in the back of the restaurant at a table, giggling, talking loudly while patrons waited for service. Would skip Rawlins and this Best Western next time..........

Room Tip: Get a room on a top floor on the back side of the hotel
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We actually had booked a room at a hotel down the street, but upon arrival we found that many of their exterior lights were out. This prompted us to look for other accommodations. The Best Western was well lit, and the lobby inviting. Our room was located around back on the ground level, with an outside entrance, which was ok with us. The newly renovated room was comfortable and clean, and the bed made me want to stay there longer. We were tired from travelling so the new big screen HD TV was appreciated but wasted on us. The breakfast was tasty. And except for a toaster with limited range, everything was great. The eggs and sausages were well-stocked and and the staff offered pancakes from the kitchen, which I gladly accepted. We enjoyed milk and juice with our coffee, and after breakfast a sweet waitress took our picture by the elk in the lobby.
This is definitely an older hotel that has been refurbished, so as far as the mechanics of the building, I can not speak to that. We were fortunate to be travelling on an exceptionally good weather day, not too hot, and not too cold. We did not use the air or the heat in the room, but the fan worked great. My husband likes to open a window, but this was not possible.
The comfortable bed, and the good breakfast made us feel like we were well pampered.

Room Tip: I read that there is no elevator, if this is a problem, you can get a room on the ground floor in th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Madison GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

After checking two higher rated & less expensive hotels, we were told we were getting the last available room at this property. The only positive things about this stay were wrapped disposable cups and the shower head. There is no elevator and we weren't told that at check-in. I encountered an unleashed dog in the hallway. The hotel is filled with refinery workers; we found one closely looking into our vehicle until he realized we were there. Had to call the front desk twice around 12:15 a.m. We could hear a verbal altercation on our floor. After the first call, someone, who had to already be on our floor, could immediately be heard crudely telling them to take it outside where three males continued to verbally berate a female outside our window prompting the second call that did end the noise. There was an earlier event directly across the hall entailing comments that made me feel like we were in an hourly hotel but at least they were quieter, not as crude and not upsetting. Other than the main entrance, the entrances say they are locked at all times for guest security. At least two of them were found to be propped open with rocks. Management said that one lock was broken, the maintenance man had to come from out of town and if they shut the door, they can't get it open. The bed didn't sag but wasn't up the Best Western standards and squeaked when you moved at all. The noisy HVAC wasn't even on when we arrived and never felt like the set temperature; it woke us when it came on. Overnight, we also heard the trucks on the expressway and trains. Fortunately, the hospital right behind the property didn't have any ambulance arrivals. Went in for the complimentary breakfast at 9 a.m. Staff was standing in the room but didn't come to us; we went to them and asked what we were to do. They asked if we stayed in the hotel. She said there was a buffet breakfast; there was nothing left but some eggs, yogurt, cold cereal, apples & oranges that we couldn't eat. She went and got some meat and brought a brief list of things they would prepare like oatmeal; we waited 30 minutes before receiving soupy oatmeal, milk & brown sugar; it wasn't edible either. Other staff took up the cold breakfast at 9:30 and put out a salad bar; breakfast was supposed to last until 10. We checked out and responded to how was our stay. They assured us that it wasn't the norm, apologized and took $50 off of the bill. I'm thankful for it but I really don't feel it was nearly enough. I don't know what the other issue of their morning had been but the clerk asked if she was to handle it the same way she did the previous issue. Apparently, this area sells out nightly making the prices ridiculous for a very raw, uncomfortable area. I don't think we'll be staying in anymore basic Best Westerns; they've definitely lost the edge they used to have.

Room Tip: Run elsewhere
St. Louis, MO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Clean, nicely furnished room. Nice lounge. But little things added up to a lot of frustration. Only coffee in our room was decaf & regular couldn't be supplied bec. "of the holiday" (our stay was the day after Labor Day). No coffee in lobby on Wed. a.m. Food in restaurant awful, service awful. As to the complimentary bkfst., we left after waiting 10 mins. for a waitress, one who spent this time busing a table in a nearly empty place, & the other one
who was sitting at a table talking with 3 guys. A big BW disappointment.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here as part of our trip around Wyoming. The staff are very friendly and it has a good bar. The evening meal was a real let down, but to be fair I think we might have just caught a bad night, because the breakfast was great.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN CottonTree Inn? Share your experiences!