“Best trip of year...every year” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Flying A Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pinedale
Flying A Ranch
You added Flying A Ranch to your Saves list
771 Flying A Ranch Road, Pinedale, WY   |
Charlotte
“Best trip of year...every year”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

My brother in law has been going to see Debbie and Keith at the Flying A with a group of family and friends for 19 years. Yes, it's that good. I was lucky enough to make the cut three years ago. Let's put it this way. My brother in law is a great guy. But no matter what he does I'll be sure to keep him on my good side as the trip to the Flying A is the highlight of my year. It is absolutely gorgeous. The staff is incredibly accommodating and friendly. The food is sumptuous and the servings are huge. The cabins are amazingly cozy and comfortable. Just try and get out of those beds after a great night sleep. The only reason I get out of bed is because the food is so damn good. Personally, I love the hiking and the scenery. I get up and just take off by myself. The aspens, the pines, the clear, crisp air and the wildlife just bring me back to life after a year in the corporate grind. I can go on Skyline for a 2-3 hour six mile trail with a great view of the valley below. Or I can hike the ridge toward Three Sisters...where I've seen a moose three years in a row. Or hike to the twin lakes through some of the prettiest valley scenes I've ever witnessed. And if you feel bold, hike the all day hike to Pass Peak. You’ll sleep good that night. Regardless of the hike, ride or shooting, coming home to home cooked meal, and lots of it, after a drink at the bar makes for a perfect day.

Do I recommend the Flying A? Let's put it this way, I've already got my invite for next year and I'm on my best behavior so I can be sure to be there with Keith, Debbie and the entire staff next year. I hope I can make it 19 years in a row as well.

• Stayed September 2009

Dayton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

When you return time after time, the ranch has to be superb. It is an adults only ranch(excecpt if you lease the whole ranch), which was important to us. The remote location was also a big draw. The setting is not to be believed! There are only 7 cabins(total of 14 guests, maximum)which is wonderful. They never take more than 6 people on a ride at a time, so you are not "nose to tail" with 30 horses. Their horses are the best maintained I have seen and have quite a varity for different experience levels. The staff does a great job of matching a horse to your ability. There are a couple of all day rides, way up into the mountains with a packed lunch. Spectacular! Even at the lower levels around the ranch the wildlife is abundant. We have spotted moose, elk, deer, pron ghorned antelope, fox, coyote, huge sandhill cranes, and heard wolves.

The cabins are charming, beautifully decorated, and immaculate! This year, we even had electronic things for bats plugged in, although we had never seen one in eight years. The management really tries to think of everything.

The food was (and always has been) fantastic. The table settings are not to be believed!!...something different for every meal. Even the music is programed for the atmosphere at each meal. There is a cute "saloon" overlooking the lake where cocktails are available each evening, if you choose to partake. The ranch does not have a alcohol license, so you take what you might enjoy and they provide the setups if you need them.

If you choose not to ride every day, there is trap shooting, archery, hiking, great fly fishing(with lessons if you choose) or just sitting on your porch reading and enjoying the scenery. Debbie even has a masseuse once during the week, to work out any kinks! There is also a well maintained hot tub, which is very relaxing at the end of a long day of riding.
If you read your literature that the ranch sends, you realize that you must have a calling card to make a phone call from the main lodge. There are no phones in the cabins(thank heavens) and the cell service is not wonderful, which makes the peaceful week so much more enjoyable!
My husband keeps asking(since this is a girl's trip)'why don't you try someplace else for riding?" My standard answer is "No Way!!! The Flying A Ranch is perfection. Any vacation is what you make it. You have to realize where you are and why! Pinedale is a good drive from the ranch..if you forget something, someone from the staff usually makes a daily trip into Pinedale and will be happy to pick something up for you. That's just the way they are!!

Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

this was our sixth year returning to the Flying A Ranch. we met lifelong friends there six years ago and return with them each year. the Ranch has amazing cabins that are rustic yet decorated to the full extent. Each cabin has it's own personality and charm about it. the food is to die for, i gain at least five pounds each year we go. you feel like you are in a fine dining restaurant, yet you are looking at the base of the Teton mountains while you dine. Fishing, horseback riding and hiking are at your disposal everyday. If you want to have a lazy day that's an option too, no preplanned agenda's, they remember that it's your vacation and they cater to that fact. The scenery can't be explained in words, that time of year is wild flower time and you can get lost in them. Over the years we've continued to meet some wonderful folks and have kept in contact with some. if you are looking for a place where cell phones and TV's don't work (which I loved) this is your place.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Calif.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

We took our, I don't know, maybe 15th trip to the Flying A (it's our 10th yr.). We connected with old friends we met over the years there as well as new one's. Debbie and Keith have assembled the best staff yet; top notch in every way. Jim, the chef, and the kitchen crew couldn't have done more to accommodate our needs. I don't eat anything with "four legs" (I know....what kind of cowgirl am I?) and the food was artfully presented and better yet, delicious! The wranglers were also some of the best we've experienced. They made sure to match rider & horse and provide the type of ride you are looking for. One of the highlights of this ranch is the incredible beauty and access to over 9000 acres of park lands. The wranglers were informative in helping us identify the wild flowers, and Joe even sang on the trail....he's the real deal....a classic cowboy! Keith even took time to show me how to rope; I've always wanted to do that. Not as easy as he makes it look, but I'm going to practice so I can try it from horseback next time. When I see reviews on this site that are negative for the Flying A, I have to wonder.....where they at the same ranch I've known all these years? As an avid traveler, I know that in the tourist business, there are always people who find fault no matter what. This ranch stands well above the rest, especially if you like to get away from it all. You can choose to party & socialize at night, or retreat to your private cabin....no pressure. We like to do "moose walks" after dinner to look for wildlife around the ranch....it's our tradition. Debbie arranged for a yoga/pilates instructor for several weeks. We had morning "wake up" sessions before breakfast; it was a great start to the day. They are always looking for new ways to add value to your stay. Give this place a try; you won't be disappointed. If you're a photographer....endless photos opps await! btw...if you drink, don't forget to pick up your liquor before getting to the ranch; mixers are provided.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

The Flying A Ranch in Pinedale, WY is the finest example of a riding, fishing, hiking and
scenic ranch I have ever experienced; not to mention the fine dining and lodging
attributes of this wonderful ranch. The place is, quite simply, beautiful.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

I've been meaning to write this review, especially because we stayed at Flying A for a week and then went to another dude ranch near Jackson the following week. Flying A still stands above and beyond the other ranches in so many ways. The land that Debbie and Keith (Owners) live and ride on, is truly unique. You will not find trails like that anywhere. It simply is magical. And, all the horses are top quality, and a joy to ride. The cabins are amazingly clean, food is excellent, and the fun begins at sundown. Another unique aspects of the Flying A is its limited size. Max 14 people and no kids. After going to another ranch with over 20+ people, I'd defer to Flying A anyday. There are never more than 3 or 4 riders on any given ride. That is not the case at other ranches, and should be noted that elsewhere up to 8 or more may be on a ride. That never occurs at the Flying A. In addition, Debbie and Keith know all about the area, enjoy hiking and just plain hanging out. Highly recommend the Flying A, it was our 5th year, and we'll return again next year as well. It truly is a slice of paradise.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Kent, Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

We don't normally visit anywhere twice but Flying A is an exception. In July'08 we had such a wonderful time and made some great new friends who persuaded us to break our rule and we weren't disappointed. The ranch boasts fine accommodation, great food, friendly staff with fantastic horses, rides and scenery. We met up again with many other repeat guests. It's not often you travel half way across the world and check in for a week's vacation and are greeted with so many friendly faces. We cannot rate this ranch highly enough. We have trouble finding small intimate adult-only ranches and this fits the bill as there is usually only around 16 guest at any one time. Fly-fishing, hiking, yoga, pilates, bicycles and clay pigeon shooting are also available. And yes, the horses really do walk back and fro along the river bank in the evening as per Joanne Panizzera's fantastic '' Reflections'' photo that won 1st prize in USA Today's photo competition. Our thanks once again to Debbie, Keith & all the staff for an unforgettable week.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Flying A Ranch? Share your experiences!