“Freedom to ride the way you want!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of TX Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lovell
TX Ranch
You added TX Ranch to your Saves list
PO Box 194, Lovell, WY 82431   |
Seattle, Washington
“Freedom to ride the way you want!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

I went in Oct. 2004 and had the BEST vacation ever. The freedom you're allowed on the ranch is amazing. No nose to tail riding here. You can walk, trot or gallop at full speed if you desire, with no ranch staff a feet away. This is not a dude ranch folks - you sleep in canvas tents, use the outhouse and ride for 12 or more hours a day and it's splendid. You come back to camp sore, exhausted and hungry but you can't wait to do it again the next morning. The owners, Hip and Loretta are fantastic. I came alone but met so many wonderful people, some whom I still communicate with 5 years later! I was an intermediate rider when I came to the ranch, but I think TX is ok for novice or experts. There is a horse for every skill. The terrain varies everyday - from red clay canyons, to rolling hills of prairie, to riding above the Big Horn Canyons - I've never been so in awe and speechless of some of the sights we rode in. Some days the scenery was so amazing I swear I could hear the angels singing. Corny but true. This is not a place where you're pampered - no showers, spa, massages or room service. This is a true working ranch where you go to rough it out for a week and come back refreshed and a lifetime of memories. TX is the only place I would go for a riding vacation.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

I have had the opportunity to go to other working ranches and have to say that I wouldn't trade this one for the world. My boys and I plan on going every year, if at all possible. From the minute we arrived, we were treated as part of the family. How does one put into words this type of vacation. As a child I always wanted my own ranch, well I got to live what it is like to have one for one full week. Way to short if you ask me. The accomodations were great, the food was great, and I can say there wasn't ever a dull moment. In the early morning you wake up to peace and quiet. Everyone around you is still asleep, if you are an early riser, in their tents and you don't hear any rush hour traffic, lawn mowers mowing, instead you can hear the cattle off in the distance, the water rushing in the creek and maybe even a wood burning stove still burning from the night before. On day number one Hip gets a feel for what kind of horse you will need, by asking questions as to what your riding experience and then he carefully picks out the horse for you. He will tell you every little detail about each and every one of them you get through the week. One thing is for sure, they are all great and we were never disappointed. You will see some of the most beautiful scenery you can ever imagine. You will see some of the most beautiful wildlife you have ever seen and yes you will see cattle in your sleep. You will make great friends from all over the world and you will not want to leave at the end of the week. If you want a true working ranch experience, great people, great horses and tons of fun, then this is the place for you. Try it, you won't be disappointed. To the Tilletts and crew, we love you and can't wait to see you next year

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

I have been a guest at the TX Ranch in 2005, 06, 07, and will return there in sept of 09. I took a year off and got married.
Words can not discribe how great the TX Ranch is, but I will try. It is a family run, fully functioning cattle ranch. If you want a real deal true life experience, TX is the place. The harder you work, the more you will get out of your trip. The staff is great and you would be hard pressed to find a better class of people then the Tillett family. The Tilletts and there Staff are a hard working, fun loving, great bunch of people. They have always made me, my friends and my father feel welcome.
When you visit the TX here is what to expect. You will ride a great horse. Eat some good meals (Thanks Sam). Meet some great people. See a beautiful part of America. Have a lot of laughs. And I promise you, at some point during your trip, you will feel like a real cowboy.
The daily schedule goes a little something like this. When you are eating breakfast, It's breakfast time. When you are eating lunch, it's lunch time. When you are eating dinner, it's dinner time. And when you go to bed, it's bedtime. The rest of the day is what you make of it. Hard work, a lot of fun and memories that will last you the rest of your life.
Like many other TX Ranch guests, I will continue to return to the TX for many years to come. I hope you join me.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

I had always wanted to do a cattle drive, I spent months poring over the internet and eventually, I do not know why I settled on TX ranch. I wanted to get as close to the real thing a possible, no sauna baths or gourmet meals for me, I wanted to sleep onthe ground if I could!

Anyway serendipity, I found TX and the rest is history. I met the nicest people, had the greatest time, I would have happily sold up and moved in! The horses were so intelligent, the countryside spectacular and varied, the new found friends terrific.The food was actually pretty great too! Although obviously thy are working to aformula of sorts , it never intruded. Everyon ewho was theer would go back in aheartbeat. Actually it wa also great value for money too,

I cannot wait to get back there. Part of the TX diaspora, it i sjust the best extended family!

Anne L

• Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

my first visit to txranch was this june..i had read available information re: the ranch and my 2 buddies and myself decided to head out..we 3 own/ride horses up here in new england..so have had some "saddle time"..our guidelines were.."no pool..shuffleboard or gift shop"..from the time we arrived we said this in paradise..like stepping onto a clint eastwood movie set...for over the course of 4 days we drove .and branded cattle for 10hrs a day..montana is truly "big sky" country..one day "hip" (owner) gave us a day off and took the crew to the big horn canyon for a short 9 hr trail ride..scenery that you will never forget..tx ranch runs a first class outfit..the hip,and loretta and staff make you feel like family..to food is "stick to your rib"cowboy grub..excellene..if your looking for a unique once in a a lifetime experence..head out there..you won't regret it...and don't be supprised if you see clint eastwood come over the rise..i'm looking forward to going back

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Wiltshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

We went on the last cattle-drive week and it was full-on....and leave the mobile and laptop behind! This is for the sort of person who relishes the prospect of centering the week around what needs doing... For us, the first few days were spent rounding up and cutting out the pairs on proper ranch horses, then the drive for 3 days. Evenings consist of tucking into a good meal sitting around the camp-fire before retiring to a camp-bed. We really were the ranch hands, every rider counts, and everybody pulled together. We made great friends, saw and rode in fabulous country and caught a glimpse of the much-studied feral horse herds. Wonderful memories, and Hip and the team really make you feel included and appreciated...they had the patience of saints while we "greenhorns" were still working everything out. I wasn't the most confident rider and my partner didn't ride much at all, but we were teamed up with a couple of great horses each and they gave us so much confidence and security. When I came back it all felt a bit small, just hacking around the previously terrifying block on my own horse in Blighty. I often find my mind wandering back there, we're still in contact with friends we made on that week, and planned to get over this year but diary issues prevent it. Looking to book for 2010 though, and a reunion with some of our buddies?!!!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

TX is more than a place, it's an experience of body and soul. The people you meet the things you do, the places you see - each has it's own unique and rare beauty. I know I sound like a bit of a sap but it's true. I have been to TX 4 times and each time I have met the most remarkable people, done more physically than I ever thought I was capable of, seen the most amazing countryside and vistas, and slept better and eaten more than I would have thought possible. I cannot recommend the place highly enough. I go back as often as I can and everyone I've taken with me has wanted to come back as well. It's heaven on earth - honestly!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to TX Ranch? Share your experiences!