“Awesome Big Sky Country” 5 of 5 stars
Review of TX Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lovell
TX Ranch
You added TX Ranch to your Saves list
PO Box 194, Lovell, WY 82431   |
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Awesome Big Sky Country”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Experience of a lifetime. This Ranch is an authentic working ranch. The horses are all excellently well trained and can get around extremely sure footed on some challenging terrain. The daily work includes wrangiling horses from the pastures, driving cattle and working them (vaccinations, branding, castrations and ear tagging). The owners Hip, Loretta and daughter Des are friendly and very knowledgable and they also like to have a lot of fun. The catering is great with hearty meals that are very much appreciated after long days in the saddle. The accomodation is in canvas tents, so don't be expecting 5* lodginigs in a log cabin, but they have camp beds in with comfortable matresses.
The state of Montana is known as big Sky country and boy was it Big - the vastnesses of the country cannot be described and photographs cannot capture the amazing backdrops against which you will ride & work each day. On a clear night the constellations of stars are amazing, I have never seen a night sky like it.
if you have been riding a long time or if you have never even sat on a horse rest assured that you will be teamed up with horses that are appropraite for your level and you will have a lot of fun and will have some fantastic experiences.
Be prepared to get in there and get your hands dirty because it will make the trip that much more special for you.
I would highly recommend this ranch to anyone wanting the trip of a lifetime and a truly authentic experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I just got back from the TX Ranch and I'm still overwhelmed by how amazing my trip was. I told my wife I wanted to go on a cattle drive and she got me a trip to the TX Ranch for my wedding present. The TX isn't fancy, it's not for those who don't want to work or get dirty. What it is is a slice of old time America with some fantastic people to guide your way. During my week there I was wet, cold, very dirty-and happier than I've been in a long time. Working side by side with Hip (the owner) was an experience all in itself, he's probably one of the nicest and all around good guys I have ever met. Great sense of humor and always looking to help his guests have a good time. The staff of Dez, Christine and Ty were a great group of people to help guide us new to ranching life. I hopeful I'll be back but in case I never get to I'm still a better person just from having the experience at the TX Ranch.

Room Tip: Bring sunscreen, chapstick, and spurs!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Wrightwood, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I’ve been going to the TX Ranch since 2003 and have not been disappointed. It ain’t no dude ranch, just honest work with honest folks who enjoy the same principles. Fearing more find out about the place and books up, I highly recommend to those wanting to experience the out of doors and don’t mind a little work.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I've been to other ranches, in Arizona (x 2),Texas & New Mexico.They're o.k. and I enjoyed them, but none compare with TX. I first went there in 2009, have returned every year since, and will do so next year (2013). The staff Dez,Ryan, Christine and owners Loretta and Hip are spot on folk and helpfulness itself. The Ritz it ain't. The only running water is the "crick",your "room" is a tent. There are beds, but you supply your own sleeping bag. After a days riding and working cattle(which you'll do in spades, if you want),Christine's delicious home cooked food, a couple of beers round a campfire maybe, you WILL be glad of it. You WILL get dirty, but hey, this is a working ranch NOT a Dude Ranch. You WILL have fun, and more than a few laughs.
Remember, you are miles from the nearest town so follow the "What to bring" list and you'll not go wrong. The horses and riding opportunities are exemplary, no nose to tail rubbish here, the terrain is varied (and there's lot's of it), you'll meet good folk and make lifelong friends. If you're new to riding, no problem, Hip will find a horse to suit you. There must be a downside somewhere, but I've yet to experience it.Search "TX Ranch" on Youtube, or find them on Facebook.
Visit TX once and I guarantee, "You'll be back"!

Room Tip: Take, and use, lip salve! Not to do so is inviting pain and discomfort. I speak from experience.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Pasadena
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Read the other reviews for more details, but this was the best working ranch experience I ever had and I grew up on Ranches!!! The work and riding can be hard or easy - you choose. We choose hard and we needed to a week to recover. Scenery was spectacular. Food great. Living in tents comfortable, but definitely basic, but that is part of the charm. Horses that you ride are amazing cow horse. The memories are so rich I am still buzzing several weeks later. Make sure you bring Chapstick, gloves, spurs, and a large canteen and gum is a good idea. The air is dry so you go through a large amount of water on the trail. We found chaps too hot, and a good pair of jeans handled the bush. The cowboys did not wear chaps, but the rest of us who did, looked mighty good in them! If you like a beer in the evening, the stop on the way to the ranch to buy that type of supply, but ask them f you need to buy ice to keep it cold. One good idea I can pass on is to buy a battery charger that works off a cigarette lighter. No electricity, but there were vehicles there.

Simply put the experience of a lifetime!!!!

Room Tip: In Summer look for a tent in the shade. Shower first or last to avoid the crowd.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Oakville, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

When I booked my week at TX in 2010, I was a bit nervous because I had been on a horse only a handful of times in my life. But before the week was up, I was riding like a pro alongside the real cowboys, rounding up cattle in the open range. It really is a Western movie come to life. I picked TX specifically because of the lack of electricity, hot water, and other luxuries. You'll be sleeping in canvas tents with dirt floors, using the outhouses and taking cold showers from water in a bag hung on a hook. You'll eat all your meals with the other guests and the cowboys - in a cabin for breakfast and dinner, and out on the range for lunch.

I've already been twice and I'm going again next year. It will be the best vacation you've ever taken.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

I have been riding at the TX since 1997. My family and I continue to return to the TX simply because it's an experience we can never get enough of. The TX offers a vacation like no other. The beautiful scenery, elegant horses, helpful hands, unforgettable friendships and personal growth will keep you coming back year after year. There is no other ranch that can compare. If you are looking for an exciting throw back of times long forgotten then head to the TX with open arms. Get your wranglers ready and dust off your boots because you will be able to get as dirty as you'd like. The TX is a magical place that holds a special place in my heart! You will not be disappointed. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to TX Ranch? Share your experiences!