“Hero to Zero” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Hero to Zero”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I joined Tripadvisor two years ago and this is my fourth report. The three previous venues received the full five. What to give The Lodge? If the holiday had gone without a hitch I’d probably have given a 5. If they had dealt with the written complaint about staff in the breakfast room that I handed in to the front desk, I’d have given a 4. As far as I can tell my letter went in the bin as it wasn’t acted upon and none of the managers saw it. Exactly the same issues occurred the following day. If someone had apologised to me before I left I’d have still given a 3. They didn’t but I expressly asked to see the manager in person before I left and I asked the person who I was told was the manager for a response. I got one when I got home but as I had to keep pushing for the truth I’m giving a 1.
I wanted to know why service in the breakfast room had been so poor on two consecutive days. The first two explanations that the problem only occurred on one day due to them being slightly short staffed wasn’t right as the same problems occurred the next day and things didn’t improve until the Saturday when there were five working the room instead of two. Finally they admitted the problems occurred on both days as they were the breakfast manager’s days off. The manager was in the hotel so it beats me why cover wasn’t arranged especially given the number of guests in the hotel. As it was, there was no supervision in the breakfast room for two days, nobody to notice the two people in there couldn’t cope with the number of guests, and nobody to ensure corrective action was taken.
Before I left I thought I’d spoken to the manager but it turned out to have been the front desk manager who hadn’t been in the hotel on either of the problem mornings. When I later received the hotel survey form I realised there was also a general manager who said she had been in the hotel both days. I’ve never before had a problem identifying who is in charge at a hotel. At The Lodge I had no idea there was a general manager. The staff didn’t tell me when I handed in my complaint, nor when I asked to speak to the manager before I left and on top of that the manager was not alerted to my written complaint. I find this all very odd.
In summary:
Good points
It’s a pleasant looking hotel. The guys in the ski hire shop are excellent. They also take care of your skis at the start and end of each day. The airport and ski shuttle service is very helpful. The free town shuttle bus service stops conveniently outside the hotel. We very much enjoyed the pool, sauna and hot tubs. The pool temperature was ideal. The cleaning of the rooms was good. The boys liked the big TV in the room. Jackson is a fine looking town (if you can see it for the traffic). The front desk staff are generally friendly and helpful (unless you hand in a complaint when for some reason it isn’t passed up the chain of command, if in fact there is one) and they arranged a wonderful trip to Yellowstone for us. We enjoyed going around the corner to eat at the Gun Barrel which cooks great steaks. The Hatch on the way into town is a lively place with friendly staff and we enjoyed the Mexican food there. Those two restaurants were our favourites. There is fantastic beer at the Snake River Brewery and we ate there also.
Bad points
The hotel location isn’t ideal being close to a busy road and opposite a business park. The room air conditioning system is loud. You have a choice between that and opening your window to let out the heat, but that lets in loud noises from the street and business area that can start before half-past five during the week. We were there the week of the President’s birthday holiday and there was clearly strain on the hotel’s resources. While I feel this could have been managed to avoid the problems we experienced, it wasn’t and so that week was much less relaxing than the previous week and I would avoid it where possible. There was little promotion of the dining room for dinner and I didn’t speak to anyone who recommended it. The restaurants at other hotels in town seem to be well regarded. We like to take walks and you can walk into town but there are two drawbacks in that most of the path is not lit at night and Jackson seems to be a national refuge for pick-up trucks. Look all around you when crossing junctions as some, particularly near Bubba’s, are angled in a way that allows vehicles to hang a fast right and some do that even when the pedestrian walk light is on so take special care at night. Better still, don’t bother. I found all that gas guzzling 10mile per gallon traffic disturbing at a place sold as a ski destination, especially as the snow quality was poor and the weather felt more like April than February. I’m no expert on the link between greenhouse gas emissions and global warming, but if my town made money from ski tourism I’d be looking to set an example to others.
Busy times
The hotel services deteriorated as the number of guests increased into the week of the President’s day public holiday. The early shuttle bus which previously could be booked with no problem the evening before, suddenly became block booked days in advance though you could get on a waiting list and hope that some people chose not to get up. The system is therefore open to abuse by folk giving themselves the luxury of choosing whether to lie in or not whereas if you’re on the waiting list you have to get up early regardless of whether you’re going to get away or not. I therefore suggest you book as early as you can but please don’t abuse the system as it’s a very helpful service and the drivers are friendly and informative on the way to the slopes.
Breakfast complaint
Breakfast time, which during the first part of our stay had been relaxing and enjoyable, rapidly descended into a farce. The service steadily deteriorated from the Saturday and reached a nadir on the Thursday and Friday. I didn’t make a formal count of the numbers of staff involved but in general there were two front of house staff tidying up, replacing and replenishing. This worked fine during the quiet week but I still saw only two people as the number of guests in the dining room mushroomed. I’ll say at the outset that I never saw those two idle. They steadily went about their work and as far as I could see they were always doing something worthwhile. However they only have the one gear and didn’t step up to the challenge put before them. In my opinion, if there had been effective supervisory management at the hotel this problem would have been recognised and extra staff would be brought in proactively to service the additional guests that the front-desk people have booked into the hotel. In fact there was no sign of any management or supervision concerning the breakfast room on those two days. It seemed to me that the place was run as a commune with everyone sharing the problems, including the guests. Indeed, you could argue that it is the guests who are the problem as it is their sheer numbers that caused the deterioration in service. Perhaps a seasonal cull of guests could be carried out like they do with the buffalo in Yellowstone who have the natural desire to migrate to places where they’re not wanted, like The Lodge guests who wander unwittingly into the busy breakfast room.
On the Thursday morning we had to clear our own table before we sat down. I don’t expect to have to clean up someone else’s mess in a hotel that boasts world class amenities and a tripadvisor certificate of excellence on its home page. There were no cereal bowls so I started with the cooked meal but there were no forks. I asked each of the two staff on duty for a fork but they ignored me and carried on with the other tasks they were doing so I went in search of extra help. I found a guy with a badge out in the corridor who I thought might be a supervisor. Anyway he managed to source five forks. As there was pent up demand these were grabbed straight away and it was over fifteen minutes before any more appeared. My son ate his meal with a teaspoon and I saw another guy eat sausage and scrambled egg with his fingers. A world class amenity and they can’t provide enough forks for their guests? The empty fruit bowl wasn’t replaced and the breakfast juice machine ran clear water. It was obvious the place was over-stretched but there was nobody to get on top of it.
I took the time to record my experience and hand in a written complaint with a suggestion that they needed more staff. The next morning we couldn’t even find a dirty table and had to use the bar. Unbelievably they ran out of forks and my son again ate his meal with a teaspoon. I asked a guy at the desk why someone couldn’t have nipped out to K-Mart to buy a box of forks after my complaint the previous day. Plastic ones would have been better than nothing but he just shrugged.
I left with bad feelings about the place otherwise I wouldn’t have been bothered to write this. It’s a shame because it was a special holiday for us and there is plenty to like about Jackson and the hotel. This could all have been nipped in the bud by good management but instead it was allowed to go sour. If I was to go back to Jackson I’d try somewhere else.

Stayed February 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Thai first
Idaho Falls, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I don't know where to start. The wooden bears and raccoons are adorable! The entire outside look is appealing. The inside décor is beautiful. The advertisement on the rooms is not false. The are every bit as beautiful as explained. The beds are extremely comfortable. The desk is nice and large with all the modern day electronic hookups that you would expect... The indoor/outdoor pool area is WONDERFUL!!! There is a hot tub inside and one outside. Not only is the pool heated, but it is fabulously warmer than most places I've stayed at including Montana and Idaho that should also know how to keep and indoor/outdoor pool comfortable!! Staff is very friendly, and the atmosphere relaxing. The breakfast had a more than sufficient variety of items to choose from, including food and beverages. Bravo! The only suggestion that I have is that all the staff members be able to speak English. There was one gal during breakfast that couldn't answer a simple question because she did not understand me AT ALL, but that was the only thing. I WILL BE GOING BACK!!!

Room Tip: The pool is in the front of the hotel if you want to be close to the pool.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We stayed here for a couple of nights at the beginning of our trip while we waited for our condo to be ready. It was easy to organise a transfer from the airport in advance and even though the Lodge is a little way out of town, the staff were always more than happy to jump in the Escalade (very bling) and drive us into town. Our driver, Haine, was a great guy - really helpful, outgoing and chilled out. He set a high bar for customer service for the rest of our trip! In addition there was a free shuttle up to the mountain every day, although ours resembled an Aged Care Facility day trip due to the large numbers of retirees staying at the hotel! Certainly not a criticism, but if you're looking for something a bit, ahem, hipper, maybe look elsewhere.

The rooms were great, although for the life of me I couldn't figure out the Smart TV (it was probably smarter than me), and the pool was just the ticket after a day sliding around on the freeze thaw ice rink that was Jackson Hole this February.

The ski tech based in the hotel, Rob, was also brilliant. He had loads of local knowledge and was great with recommendations for touring spots and local mountaineering shops. Waking up every morning and finding your skis and poles of choice out the front ready to go on the shuttle made life very easy.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

This hotel was the highlight of our trip so far. Brilliant place to stay, with all amenities and services at the highest level. Our room was great, and the staff brilliant. I would like to make a special mention and thanks to Rob and Gracia from the front desk. Rob....your assistance and recommendations with all sorts of travel ideas and places to go was most helpful. Gracia...also, your assistance was superb, and very much appreciated by the three of us. A big "thank you" to both.....superb customer service. I would recommend The Lodge at Jackson Hole to anyone.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Idaho Falls
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Can't say enough good about this place! We had the best time. The room was gorgeous and very clean! Beds were very comfortable, we slept so well.The front desk was super nice, they helped us find a place to eat and they were very knowledgeable about Jackson hole! We only live about 2 hours away from here and we want to go back as soon as possible, to just get away and relax!! Loved,loved loved it!!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are awesome! You will not be sorry!!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Hamburg, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Work travel took us to Jackson Hole for six days and after checking several websites we booked our room at the lodge and were not disappointed. The room was clean with a wonderfully sized bathroom, flat screen TV and pull out sofa bed. The morning breakfast was a good as anything we have seen with lots of fresh fruit, four different hot foods and Starbucks coffee. The staff was very helpful in suggesting local eateries and offered a shuttle service to locations in the area. A great place and one that we hope to come back to visit again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed here during Spring break and found the facility to absolutely delightful. The reviews were spot on.

As a family of 5, it's hard to find rooms that will accommodate us comfortably. Our room had plenty of space with two double beds and a fold out couch. The room was recently remodeled and tastefully decorated. The recently remodeled bathroom and shower were very, very nice.

A huge bonus here was the free breakfast buffet. The food was delicious.
The customer service was top notch. We didn't talk to a single person who worked at The Lodge who wasn't willing and ready to go out of their way to accommodate us.

We really enjoyed our visit and will most certainly stay here again.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Been to The Lodge at Jackson Hole? Share your experiences!