“Kudar Motel when you're on a budget” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kudar Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jackson
Kudar Motel
260 N Cache Dr, Jackson, WY 83001   |
Ranked #26 of 40 hotels in Jackson
“Kudar Motel when you're on a budget”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The place is old, but it's in a good location downtown. I like that. The buses are free and there's a stop right next door. They have a good monthly rate here so if you want to save some money it's ideal. They also rent snowmobiles.

• Stayed January 2013

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

After reading plenty of positive reviews, I thought this would be a good place to stay. We reserved a cabin for 4 nights. The day of our first night stay we were sightseeing in Yellowstone, and in the afternoon hours it was clear that we were going to get to the cabin late, but because of no cell phone service, we we're able to contact the Kudar to tell them about our late(er) arrival. We arrived at 7:30ish and the man at the front desk was clearly angry that he hadn't heard from us, and nearly gave our room away. I'm not sure where the "friendly staff" comments come from, but this guy was annoyed and not very pleasant. Be advised, you can't book a room with a credit card, so if you arrive late, they will give your room to someone else.

Upon entering the cabin the first thing I noticed was the hot temp - the air conditioning unit was not on, despite the 90+ degree temps that day. The refrigerator was unplugged and took hours to get cold. There was about a 2 foot long spider web in the corner of the room on the wall and plenty of gnats caught up in the web. The bathroom floor was very dirty as we spilled some water and wiped it up with a white towel that turned black after wiping up the water. The shower was tiny, your elbows constantly hit the shower walls. The furniture was dated, the carpet stained, but the bed did appear to be clean. No WiFi (at least that we could get working) despite that being a feature they offered.

On the outside of the cabin, there were swarms of mosquitos - so many that we had to open the car door quickly as to not let too many in. Squirrels or chipmunks were all over the grounds and I saw many of them burrowing underneath the cabin's foundation. I thought for sure we'd wake up with one of them in bed with us. Other than that, the cabin was pretty quiet and it was nice to park the car right next to it.

Oh, yeah, one more thing - the cabin floor was not level - it was slanting downward from one side to the other, so every morning when I got up, I lost my balance and nearly feel into the bathroom because of the slanted floor. Just an FWI.

There were a few positives about the Kudar. First was price - I had no idea Jackson was so pricey - I don't think we found a single place under $200 a night (and believe me after one night at the Kudar, we checked). The location is great as its within walking distance to the town square, very close to the Tetons, and close enough to Yellowstone.

I wouldn't stay here again even if they paid me. No thanks!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Alamosa, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I arrived in Jackson, WY without a reservation and didn't want to spend a fortune. I realize this was not the best plan, but I'd covered more miles than expected. As I drove through town, there were, of course, many choices for me - and most of them looked WAY over my budget. The town was very busy. As I turned the corner, there sat the Kudar Motel, surrounded by trees and looking very quaint. With little hope, I approached the Office where the nice older gentleman looked carefully at his records and said he'd just had a cancellation. Wow! I needed it, and "it" turned out to be one of his smaller cabins (#10), the perfect size for one. The motel with cabins was filling up, so I was very fortunate. It had one large bed, a small bath, microwave, fridge, and an extra cot tucked in the corner. Also they had a blanket on the shelf which I put on the bed that night, for it was already getting cold. The night gentleman and I talked about the Parks (Teton and Yellowstone), and he was very nice. He reminded me they had morning coffee and told me the Visitor's Center was just down the street and would still be open. I walked there immediately. The next morning I wanted to leave early and went to the office for the promised coffee. The morning gentleman was not even close to friendly - I asked him to please mail postcards for me. He pointed at the box. As I told him the cabin had been very nice, and they had a nice place, he mumbled and didn't even look up from his work. I was ready to leave and did so - this motel is near the edge of town and though there was construction, I was outside town within minutes. It had been cool overnight and the fog over the pond behind the Visitor's Center made for a neat morning photo, which will give me nice memories of my stay in Jackson. This motel cost me slightly more than $100, but for the area, I was glad to find it. On another trip, if I choose to stay in Jackson (not likely), I'd call for a reservation and stay there again. There was food available nearby, as well.

Room Tip: I got a cabin and preferred that.
Parker, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I was able to get a cabin on a day's notice when everything else in town was full. The price was on the same level as the low-end chains in Jackson. But, the quality was much better and worth the extra money.

Check-in was very friendly and helpful, although I did have to go back for the wifi log-in/password. I had a 2-bed cabin with bathroom. The cabin was clean and well kept. I was happy to find a microwave and small fridge in the cabin, although the fridge seemed like it was struggling to get cold. The beds were very comfortable. Being a big guy, the bathroom was a little small, but for the average sized person, they would be fine. The place was very quiet with a great location only a couple of blocks from the main activity downtown. Being a couple of blocks away was a good thing as the downtown noise was faint in the background but not so loud as to make sleeping tough.

I usually tent-camp when visiting Teton/Yellowstone but a stay in a nice cabin or room is a good change, especially when the weather is colder late in the season. The Kudar Motel will definitely be somewhere I stay on future trips to Teton when I'm wanting something more than a tent and air mattress.

Room Tip: Can't speak for the Motel rooms, but the cabin I stayed in was well worth the price.
Riverton, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We didn't have a reservation for this place, and it wasn't a problem. The cabin was adorable. It had a King sized bed, and a flat screen TV. I did notice the pillow cases were extremely worn..you could see through them in several places. I mention this only because it might bother some people; it didn't bother us at all. The bathroom was very small, and there was some dirt under the sink and in the corner behind the toilet. The flooring in the bathroom was old and worn. That absolutely would not stop us from stopping in again, as at $109 the room was quite reasonable, especially for Jackson.

Room Tip: I definitely would want a cabin.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We recently stayed at the Kudar Motel for the Labor Day Holiday - I had stayed there many years ago and remembered the remarkable, friendly service and the nastolgic look of this cute motel. This was the first time for my husband and he loved this place !! It was clean, I had more towels there than any other motel I have ever stayed at...and they smelled amazing and the service was still as friendly as I remember. We rode up on our motorcycle and hit some rain - my husband was impressed with the cart they had available with towels and cleaning supplies so he could clean his bike. I love this quaint motel and will stay here again the next time I come to Jackson Hole.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Herndon, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

The cabins looked like they might be a bit nicer but the only room availalbe the night I went was in the motel. To be fair I have to say everything seemed very clean but it was run down enough that I wasn't completely comfortable with my stay. As another reviewer mentioned there was a smell of freshly washed dog for some reason even though they don't allow pets.

I suppose I would stay here again in a pinch (good location, clean, inexpensive) but I would look elsewhere first OR make sure I got a cabin.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Kudar Motel? Share your experiences!