“Excellent Horse Back Ride!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 33 Attractions in Jackson
Type: Equestrian Trails
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Jackson Hole Pack Trips and Trail Rides offers the finest, horseback trail riding, fly fishing adventures and fully guided 1 to 3 night basecamp pack trips with fishing, hiking and photography. We are the only horseback company in Jackson Hole where your rides are 100% in the Bridger Teton National Forest.
Arizona
15 attraction reviews
“Excellent Horse Back Ride!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I went on the JH Trail Ride last Thursday. Paige was our wrangler and tour guide. Let me start by saying this tour was the highlight of our vacation!! We couldn't have enjoyed it more.

Upon arrival to the departure sight (trail head) Paige introduced herself and matched us with our horse for the ride. There were a total of 6 riders plus Paige herself. During our two hour tour we climbed to the top of the trail, crossed streams, and across meadows. It was a wonderful opportunity to get some great scenic pictures. She definitely took us into the back country. We saw deer, elk and even a black bear! The horses are trained with where to go, so all we really had to do is sit back, hold on, and enjoy the view. The horses did all the work!

We wish we would have taken the half day tour but only the 2 hour trip was available. If you are looking to see some great scenery, this is the tour for you! It was the best. We will return again next year for sure! Thank you Paige!

Visited September 2012

Chicago, Illinois
54 attraction reviews
“Top notch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We went on an overnight trip with a fifteen year old who had never been camping in a tent and only on a mule at the Grand Canyon edge. My husband had never ridden a horse and was concerned about this trip. That was soon forgotten as we embarked on our trip through the mountain range. The scenery was spactacular. Jason and Ashley were our group leaders and did an excellent job. Three hours on a horse in rugged terrain is quite a trip. Being from Chicago (flat lands) and riding a horse through the mountains was quite a culture shock for all of us. However, we wouldn't have missed it for the world. The staff was top notch, food was excellent, sleeping accommodations were tents. However, the made sure all sleeping bag liners were clean. Jason taught my son how to cast for fly fishing. He did not catch any but loved the experience. The water was freezing!!! Ashley provided excellent conversations and had an excellent sense of humor. All that being said, the trail ride proved to be an experience of a lifetime for us all. We met some great, interesting people from Texas and New York and everyone was friendly and eager to talk with others. Though a mishap occurred on the way back to camp, it was handled very professionally and respectfully. I would highly recommend

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Will the real Sherrie C please stand up?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

It is interesting for me to see that I have a 'ghost' writer. After all, most folks who merit one are famous, and I am decidedly not so. So, to 'Sherrie C.', thank you for making me feel important but if I need to write a review, I can do it myself. 'Nuff said...
That done, I myself was on the packtrip personally reviewed by Atlanta June. I'll start by saying I have 20+ years experience in the dude ranch industry and have enjoyed every minute of it. I also enjoyed my packtrip with Bob Barlow and the world's best campjack, Jose. But let's start at the beginning...
My group arrived on time for what we thought was a morning departure. But things happen: staff leave unexpectedly or oversleep and the one left behind has to do the work of three. I was pleased to pitch in and help with whatever ( because that's what I do 9 months of the year ) and was given more than one pat on the back for my meager efforts. So we got a late start. The ride in to camp was fabulous and I marvelled at the gorgeous scenery. The horses, tho' larger in all quadrants than many are accustomed to ( we were a fairly petite group save our one tall and lean gal), were more than equal to the task of hauling us up steep, long climbs and down again. I thought in general, they were better behaved ( all horses eat when/if they can get away with it; it's just part of life ) than many of the horses in my dude string in Arizona. I was lucky in that I had a really great horse.
Ride to camp was great and lunch going in was yummy. There was a bit of Mormon-related conversation, but for those who live in primarily Mormon communities in WY, emotions can run high.
The camp with three tents, stream for fishing and bathing, cook tent, and camp pottie ( nicest and least odiferous in my experience ) was just right. My roomie and I had a mouse in our tent the first night but that was OUR bad: we loved the cool, fresh air so much we didn't zip the dang door. We laughed about it the next day and zipped it up that night. Hence, no little 'moose' in our hair or bed. Jose, our camp jack, chef, fish guide, trail guide...what more can you say? He was awesome. He catered to our every wish for food or activity, in as much as one fellow could. It would have been great if Bob could have been up in camp the second day. But short-staffed he was and we know what that's like. I think we all agreed that we would have liked for him to be more present.
We had plenty of bottled water, enough food for two weeks and a box of wine. The camp conversation was lively, funny and fascinating. Jose entertained us with stories of his family and the surrounding mountains. We saw a bear ( from WAAAAY far away ) moose and a lone wolf track, cranes, birds of color and song. We fished, swam, hiked, read, laughed, rode, napped...all the things one should do in beautiful wilderness.
As for the trail ride that 'wasn't', I don't think I was one who wanted to go, so I can't comment. As for lunch on the ride out, again I can't comment. I was still full from breakfast. I'm sorry to hear one of us became light-headed but Atlanta June's review was the first I heard about it. I do know that Jose gave us all the water we could carry with us on the pretty warm ride out.
All in all, it was a great trip. I hope my gal friends ( new and known ) will want to do another soon!

“Fish Fish Fish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

My college buddies and I met this summer in Jackson for our semi annual outing. We wanted to do something different and decided on a fish and ride trip with Jackson Hole Pack Trips and Trail Rides. Amazing!! Between us we caught 40 Cut Throat Trout. It was quite a trip. We rode into the creek on horseback and were the only ones there. They provided the gear and lunch and our fishing guide Bob was great, he knew right where to take us. The horses were sturdy mountain horses and took care of the novices. Thanks Jackson Hole Pack Trips and Trail Rides for an experience we will never forget.

Atlanta
“"OK," but would not choose this outfitter for a pack trip again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Having completed 5 different packtrips, ranging from 2 nights to 6 nights long, I have seen different styles from the guides. Most pack trips have their pros and cons.
The pros of Jackson Hole Pack Trips:
~ Their pricing per day is reasonable.
~ Our group enjoyed Jose's cooking and his joie de vivre!
~ Their cabin tents and cots made outdoor life more comfortable. Cheers for the non-smelling pit toilet!
~ Their fly fishing and instruction rate a shout-out!
~ The 3-hour ride to the semi-permanent camp is manageable, even for occasional riders.

The cons of Jackson Hole pack trips:
~ Our horses were huge and only so-so in behavior. The average height of our group was 5'4", so these horses were too big for most of us.
~ One tent had a broken zipper. After a night with a mouse in the tent (please, no hantavirus!), we found our that the zipper could be closed if started from the bottom of the tent.
~ In case of emergency, most outfitters carry sat phones. JH Pack Trips had NO sat phone.
~ Staffing was minimal: Jose was in camp full-time, while the outfitter himself rode in and out on his own schedule. We had an afternoon where some of us wanted to ride and had no wrangler to take us. Our party grumbled frequently about this minimal staffing. It was hard for Jose to do everything for 6 clients.
~ Over a pleasant, creekside lunch, the outfitter launched into some anti-Morman diatribe. While none of us were Morman, it was hard to listen to his prejudices.
~ On the last day, we had a good b'fast and then 5 of us went on a hike while the *solo* Jose used the 6th guest (!) to help him load the pack mules + saddle and bridle the horses. We left camp at 12:15pm without lunch. In fact, lunch was NEVER mentioned - we just drank water during the sweltering ride back to the Willow Creek trailhead. Arriving before 3pm, we unpacked, tipped Jose, and left in our cars. One woman nearly fainted from lack of electrolytes and food. We have no idea what happened to lunch.

When all is said and done, pack trips are peak life experiences. Any *safe* day on a horse is a good day.