“Everything you could want in a photo safari day!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 98 Activities in Jackson
More attraction details
Owner description: Please join me on a private, Jackson Hole Photographic Scenic and Wildlife Safari through Grand Teton National Park with me as your experienced guide. I will provide you with a unique opportunity to explore the unparalleled scenery and wildlife surrounding Jackson Hole. Grizzly and black bears, moose, elk, mule deer, bison, pronghorn, eagles and wolves are just some of the wildlife we often experience. With my visual and ethical appreciation for the environment I' am anxious to share my passion with all my guests. I guarantee I will be your guide. I offer over 39 years of experience in seeking out the elusive wildlife that inhabits the region and extensive knowledge on the best locations to view and photograph the picturesque surroundings of Grand Teton National Park. I offer only one Safari Tour per day and each tour is individually customized. All tours include fresh morning glory breakfast muffins, refreshments and of course the use of high quality Nikon binoculars, and Swarovski spotting scopes, as well as tripods and rain-gear. Please be sure to check out the rest, and see why people choose Paul Martin's Photo Safaris. I sincerely hope I can be part of your amazing Jackson Hole adventure! --Paul
Novato, California
22 attraction reviews
“Everything you could want in a photo safari day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

We spent a half day with Paul, hoping to see and photograph wildlife in Grand Teton NP. Moose was our #1 goal and Paul didn't disappoint. He's kind of a "moose-guy," it turns out, and he managed to find moose and more moose for us! We were thrilled. But not only moose, we saw pronghorn as well and he gave us insider tips on places to find animals on our own time! And he was also knowledgeable about the history of the area, so we learned a lot. It was smoky in the park from smoldering fires in the area, so not the best for scenic photos and, recognizing that, Paul cut short our trip as previously agreed - saving us some money! When we comeback to the Tetons, we will happily engage Paul again - and we have no doubt that you'll be pleased, too!

SafariPaul, Owner at Paul Martin's Photo Safaris - Private Tours, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
I have been called ‘moose’ or ‘the moose guy’ more than once time. While the bears are the ‘rock stars’ of the park there is nothing more exciting than moose during the rut. So when you told me moose was your #1 goal to see it was really fun to be able to share my knowledge of our moose and some of my favorite individual moose that I have been tracking for years. The smoke from area fires was particularly awful that week so I was more than happy with changing our original tour plans to make your tour even more successful and enjoyable. I look forward to your next trip to the Tetons. Thank you for sharing your experience with others. Your friend --Paul

Seattle, WA
“Customized Teton Adventure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My wife and I recently went to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone during the first of September. I called Paul a couple of weeks before to book a photo excursion through the Grand Tetons. He was extremely helpful in understanding what I was looking for and adapted the trip to suit me and my wife. Basically we ended up with a modified moose tour with some brief stops afterwards through the Grand Teton Nation Park. I was really impressed by the customization that he was willing to do.

The tour started exactly on time and took us directly to the Moose! I really liked the fact that he was a photographer that was willing to help me learn to take better photographs (since I am really an newbie). Not only that, he also had a great deal of knowledge on the history and wildlife in that area! I also enjoyed trekking through the marsh to get better views of the Moose and if I were to do this again, I would end up doing a full day of Moose trekking!

After the Moose part of the tour, Paul took us to some of the scenic locations around the Grand Tetons as well as helped us understand the history better. He also gave us plenty of very cool destinations for hiking that was off the beaten path!

All in all, we had a great time with Paul. We really appreciated his knowledge and sense of conservation. Further, he did a really good job at the small things that really make you feel welcome (e.g. coffee, muffins, water camelbak's filled with water, etc...). I would definitely recommend his tours and more specifically the Moose tour!

Visited September 2012
SafariPaul, Owner at Paul Martin's Photo Safaris - Private Tours, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Let me start my saying how much I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with other TA users. Unlike the large tour companies that try to do everything I focus on my guests and what you want to do. I can do this because I do one tour each day and keep each tour very personalized. As your guide I talk directly with all my guests when they book so you know what to expect and because all my tours are private I can adapt each trip to suit your wishes. The moose tour is new this fall where we don't depend on just seeing the animals from the road side, but we get out find them! This can make for a much more personal and exciting experience to see moose when they are not interacting with the hordes of other tour companies and ‘drive by’ tourist that depend on road side sightings. It was a fun morning I enjoyed sharing with you. --Paul
Seattle, Washington
“Teton Morning Adventure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My new wife and I spent a few days in Yellowstone before coming down to Jackson to relax on our honeymoon. She's huge into photography so I wanted to plan something special for her where she could see wildlife and get a first class photo guide tour. She loved being able to borrow Paul's amazing lens for her Canon 7D. Paul really knows the area, several times we ran into local photo enthusiasts several times who shared what animals were where with Paul that I'm sure a big corporate tour wouldn't have gotten. It's clearly a small tight knit group of passionate wildlife and photo locals, which Paul's standing in greatly helped us! We were able to see one of his favorite moose (he knows most of their locally given names and has tracked them for YEARS!) early in the morning and get amazing sunrise shots of "Elvis" shedding his velvet, which is a rare site. Paul also took us off road to some great shots where several other local wildlife buffs were waiting for a grizzly to come through. Paul also shared some local history of the park including great restaurant recommendations. I will definitely be back to the area and use him as a guide again, he made everything relaxed and enjoyable! I never would have thought I'd have the fun of crossing a creek and getting off the beaten path to see an amazing bull moose up close (as close as the park allows anyway!).

Visited September 2012
Thank you Dave and Dawn for joining me on one of my morning Safaris and for sharing your experience with other TA readers. With so many large tour companies in the Jackson Hole area I try to offer not just a more personalized experience, I strive to offer what others do not. The use of quality cameras and lenses at no extra charge is just one example of the level of service my guests can expect. I have long lenses for both nikon and canon dslr users, and for those who are not really into photography I have great mega-zoom point and shot cameras to capture wildlife from a safe and respectful distance. We were very fortunate to witness Elvis ( one of my favorite bull moose) shed his velvet on this trip which is something very special few get to witness. I look forward to your next trip to the area. --Paul
Dallas, TX
4 attraction reviews
“Amazing Wildlife”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We recently returned from a wonderful trip to Jackson Hole. One of the highlights was the morning we spent with Paul Martin. There are four in our family (one photographer and three non-photographers) and everyone enjoyed the experience immensely. The wildlife was amazing. We saw a mother grizzly bear and her three cubs (which walked very close to the van), moose, prong horn, bald eagles, bison and more. Paul made the trip very personal and was a great resource about the area and the animals (without making us feel like we were sitting through a lecture). I highly recommend his tour! It could not have been a better experience. I am confident that our morning with Paul and the wild life of the Grant Tetons will be a family memory that we cherish for years to come.

Visited August 2012
SafariPaul, Owner at Paul Martin's Photo Safaris - Private Tours, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
I’m so pleased to hear that one of the highlights of your trip to Jackson Hole and Grand Teton National park was the time spent on my Sunrise Safari. The Teton Park Sunrise and Teton Day Safaris are two of my most popular tours. Knowing where to look for wildlife is key to successfully finding wildlife and than you need a touch of luck, and lady luck was with us this morning when grizzly 610 and her three cubs came our way just as we where finishing up our sunrise landscape. Unlike any other tour van my custom Mercedes Safari van offers all my guests not just a safe environment to view wildlife, but the van also offers a much higher vantage point than the typical suburban tour vans. It was a pleasure and honor to share Grand Teton National Park with your family. Come back soon. -- Paul
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
“Smokey Sunrise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

My husband and I greatly enjoyed our morning with Paul. He was very attentive to our goals of seeing animals, and gave me some great tips on photography on the first day of our trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone area. We highly recommend that anyone visiting the Jackson/Teton area seek a "Safari" with Paul. He was able to share with us a wonderful history of the area as well as information on the behavior and history of the animals and beautiful sites we visited. Despite the smokey haze we were able to get some wonderful photos, and we learned from one who has a contagious passion for his work.

Visited August 2012
SafariPaul, Owner at Paul Martin's Photo Safaris - Private Tours, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Because of the fires in Idaho just west of the Jackson Hole area we have had many ‘Smokey Sunrises” this August, but it has not kept nice folks like yourselves away. Besides the unmatched scenery Jackson Hole valley offers a rich history and wide range of wildlife to explore which I never tire of sharing with each of my guests. Thank you sharing your experience and joining me on one of my private and personalized Safaris. -- Paul