“Jack Dennis Fishing Trips” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Teton Fly Fishing

Grand Teton Fly Fishing
225 W Broadway, Jackson, WY 83001 (Formerly Jack Dennis Private Fishing Trips)
307-690-0910
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #46 of 98 Activities in Jackson
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Grand Teton Fly Fishing will show you the best in Jackson Hole Fly Fishing. Grand Teton Fly Fishing is a proud concessionaire for Grand Teton National Park and is an authorized commercial outfitter for Yellowstone National Park. At Grand Teton Fly Fishing, we believe that connecting with a wild trout through a fly rod is a magical experience. We invite you to embrace the rhythms of Western Wyoming and come experience some of the West’s finest watersheds. Our fishing access is unparalleled in Jackson Hole. We look forward to hearing from you.
“Jack Dennis Fishing Trips”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

OK, this is an old Jackson name, but a new business with Mr. Dennis selling the name to a group of guides and a wonderful outfitter-in-charge, Bruce James. I've fished all over the world, on three continents and for species in fresh and saltwater. Finding great guides is not so easy.
Finding a great name is, but still, you need to know the lingo when it comes to booking fly-fishing holidays. Better yet, you need to listen to the advice of the locals and change your river plans based on what the guides advise du jour.

That said, we were guided on 6 of an eight day fishing trip; the non-guided days the guides willingly lending advice on where to go. I have been flyfishing for 40 years, and our guides were
younger than that. But they knew the rivers and their hot spots like the back of their hands. Of course, they knew how to entice cutthroat trout which can be surprisingly gullible or not, depending on conditions. They are opportunistic feeders and the only game in town on the uber-beautiful Snake. These guides, Dave, Ed, Chris knew all too well how to switch things up to bring the cutts rising to dries. In addition, they knew how to tutor the other two in our party who were not as expert in presentation. In short, everyone caught fish and had a blast floating over 50 miles of river on four days.

If I canvince my fishing buddies, we'll go back next year when hopefully the riversheds will have a bit more water in them.

Visited September 2012

9 attraction reviews
“World Class Fishing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I was in Jackson for a business trip and had some free time. I researched the many outfitters in the area and settled on Jack Dennis Private Fishing Trips (not to be confused with the outdoors store with a similar name).

Our guide Josh was great to work with. We spoke several times before the trip. I have fished for years, but each river is unique and he was able to answer all of my questions.

We floated the Snake River from Dead Man's to Moose. It was a 13 mile stretch. When we arrived, a thunderstorm popped up and he was prepared with rain gear! Once we launched, the sun popped out and Josh immediately had me on some nice cutthroat.

We landed quite a few fish and missed even more. The cutthroat behave differently from other species of trout and Josh was able to provide good insight into their habits and patterns. The highlight of the day was poling into a side channel and sight fishing for big cuttys! I was amazed at how similar this experience was to bone fishing in the Keys.

After we landed a few fish in the side channel, we walked up into a spring creek and landed the nicest fish of the day. Josh knows the river and is an excellent teacher. Even with 20 yers of flyfishing experience, he was able to help me work on some new techniques.

Beyond the fishing experience, the scenery of the Snake is second to none. We saw eagles, red tail hawks, beaver and a huge bull moose. I recommend Jack Dennis Private Fishing Trips and will book Josh Gallivan to be our guide on our next trip to Jackson.

Fort Smith, AR
12 attraction reviews
“Enjoyed our trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We went on a day long fishing/float down the Snake River. My husband and I had never tried fly fishing. Our guide, Josh, was incredibly patient and a wonderful instructor. We had several "hits' and got a few in close to the boat but didn't actually hang on to a fish long enough for a picture. (I have catch and release down to a fine art, it all occurs within a matter of seconds). Josh was very prepared for the trip. We had great sandwiches for lunch, plenty of water and soft drinks. When it started raining he had rain gear for us all!. The highlight of the trip was watching the eagles watching us fish. We were less than 60 feet from this magnificient bird for almost an hour as he watched us an soared overhead.

Day fishing license $14.00 and flies and leaders are not included in the price of the trip. Your guide will help you pick the right ones. It is pretty much a walk up deal. I would suggest a hat and some polarized sunglasses.

Visited August 2012
The Woodlands, Texas
“Great early season trip with my son”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We did a father/son trip in mid-June and had a great time. Ed, our guide, did a great job of understanding what we wanted. He was patient with our son and did a good job of teaching him the basics of fly fishing. He called the night before to talk to us about our plans and when he found out he'd be fishing with someone 7, he brought a spin casting reel just in case the fly rod was too hard to handle. We didn't need it, but I think that shows the dedication to making the trip a success. He also excelled at putting us on the fish and telling us about the river, but you sort of expect that from a guide. It was the little extras that made the trip stand out.

Visited June 2012
4 attraction reviews
“Fun fly fishing but make sure you bring tevas or similar to walk in”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Father and two teenage sons had great time learning to fly fish with Dave. First time ever had two out of three caught. Dave very friendly and good teacher. When you get to store, you need to purchase fishing licenses and also some "flies". Ended up adding another $70 to fee but all had fun. One thing you need to remember ---- bring tevas or similar shoes for walking in water. Teens were wearing sneakers so they borrowed boots from the place to walk through water (didn't want sneakers getting wet as they were the only pair they had). The boots were fine until they had to walk more than a mile to get to fishing spot --- then walked to different spots over the four hours -- then walked back to car. By the time they got back, both had bleeding heels and could barely walk. So it's all good if you bring your own water shoes. Also, no shade so need to sunscreen and then reapply. Sun is really strong in August.

Visited August 2011