“This is a great family or small group experience while in Jackson.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jackson Hole Llamas

Owner description: Day hikes with Jackson Hole Llamas
Columbia, SC
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“This is a great family or small group experience while in Jackson.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife and I along with our 2 children and their families (11 of us) had the pleasure of a day hike with Jill and Dave on June 21. I booked this trip because 5 of our group were children from 10-14. I must admit that I thought the idea of hiking with llamas was a gimmick and that the adults would simply accept this outing as an event for the children. Boy, was I wrong. It turned out to be the highlight of our week-long trip to Jackson Hole. That's not because we didn't do other great things; it's simply that this trip incorporated so many pleasurable experiences. It turned out that even the adults loved hiking with the llamas. Beyond that we liked the beauty of the area in which we hiked. Breaking for a lunch in a beautiful area near a stream was an event in itself. Jill and Dave Hodges are more like friends than guides. We enjoyed spending the day with them. They are quite knowledgeable about the area and could and did answer any and all questions. We got a kick out of walking through several streams even though the water was chilling. We even saw a moose, and the children played in a small patch of snow. This is a trip we would have enjoyed even without the children. I failed to mention that the weather was also perfect - sunny and pleasantly cool. If you are looking for a great family or group outing in the Jackson Hole area, you'll enjoy this one.

Visited June 2013

troy, ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My husband, son and I had an incredible trip with Dave, Jill and their family of llamas. We took a 4 day, 3 night trek into the Jedediah Smith wilderness area on the western side of the Tetons. I haven't backpacked since my 30's (we are 60ish now)and my husband and son had never backpacked in the Tetons or elsewhere. With the llamas carrying the heavy equipment, we were able to experience the back country in a way I never thought I would be able to do again. Being able to share my love of the high Tetons with my family was priceless. Jill and Dave are true professionals and we felt very safe in thier company. They are experienced is this type of outfitting venture and highly knowledgable about all aspects of preparing for and conducting the tour. Not to mention that they are a very interesting and frindly couple that were a joy to get to know. And Jill's cooking and gourmet meals are unbelievable. She had cake with whipped cream and a candle for my birthday which cooincided with the trip. I highly recommend this this experience to anyone who wants to get off the beaten path and enjoy the splendor of meadows full of colorful wild flowers, gorgeous sunsets, bracing splashes in glacial run off and few other humans. Thanks again to Dave and Jill and hope to do it again someday! Christina L

Visited July 2012
Okemos, Michigan
“The greatest trip ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Our family, which included my husband, 14 year old daughter, and me plus my brother and sister in law, thoroughly enjoyed our trip with Dave and Jill and the llamas to the backside of the Tetons. We trekked into a beautiful campsite on Badger Creek, and base camped for 4 days. We climbed everyday, up to approximately 10,000 feet,(almost), ate beautifully prepared meals, hung out in the creek, and saw incredible wildlife and scenery. It was especially wonderful because of Dave and Jill who really go out of their way to make the trip a special experience and are so knowledgeable and experienced.

East Lansing, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the best vacations our family has ever had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our llama trip to Badger Creek with Jill, Dave, the llamas and Pepper their dog was really an unforgettable experience. We traveled with them for four days and experinced some incredible wilderness hiking. The scenery was stunning from the mountain views to the abundance of wildflowers. In addtion to being knowledgable guides they are also caring environmentalists.

The trip was well paced for everyone's needs with plenty of time for photography and exploring. My teenage daughter particularily loved this trip, especially guiding and learning about her llama She strongly wants to do this again.

Finally the food that Jill prepares is amazing. Fresh fruit, pastas, chicken, homemade granola, fresh vegatables, a vareity of cheeses, dried fruit, appetizers before dinner each night and those baked goods - brownies and chocholate chip cookies. No one went hungry.

We hope to do another llama trip with Dave and Jill again. it was clearly the highlight of our summer.
Bert, Linda and Lianna - Michigan.

Potomac, Maryland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Amazing Trip, Right Tone, The Real West”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is what you should be doing on a vacation out west. This is what it is all about. After two nights here you will unwind and relax...not because of a spa or simply not answering your phone but by feeling connected with what is around you and it is amazing, better still by day four... If you are 6 to 75 years old and can walk 5-6 miles on a trail (at any pace) then this trip is for you. We (family of six, with kids 8 to 15) were west of the Tetons, but this area has so much to offer from Yellowstone to the Tetons that you need to trust in your guides to choose the right trip for you for the time of year you were there. We happened to hit a bounty of wildflowers (and I say this having hiked all over CO, WA, OR and CA). The day hikes from base camp led to some of the most wonderful vistas. They are a great combination of perfect distance (this will be determined by you) and just enough elevation gain to make you feel like you worked for it.

For the "never backpacked a day in my life" person this would be the most wonderful (and easiest) introduction to the backcountry ever. If you have only put yourself in the mountains to ski in winter you need to realize there is a lot more to offer in the summer. If you have never slept away from your bed, car or parking lot you have no idea what you are missing. You will notice things around you that you never would in a million years until you "get out" to the wilderness. The trip, to a backpacker would be considered "luxury backpacking." You can carry your daypack with heavy camera or whatever crazy thing you would never put in your pack. You show up with pretty much your sleeping bag and some clothes and Jackson Hole Llamas supplys the rest--tents, great bedpads, crazycreek chairs, setups for handwashing station to the best food you will ever have on a backpacking trip (thanks for carrying it llamas).

All of this sounds great if you're imagining this from home, here's where it gets better. Jill and Dave ("Hodge") are wonderful guides. They are it. Their company, they are the guides and they know this area because they have been hiking all over it for a couple of decades or more. We were luck enough to have a 3rd veteran guide (Mark) visiting his old stomping grounds. Hodge was a veteran NOLS instructor and Jill and Mark have been backcountry guides for many years. If you are new to this, they will teach you in the most mellow and wonderful way, how to treat the land and about the place you are visiting. They are wonderful to the animals and flexible about the daytrips--built to suit the hiker that you are. The food was great. From the breakfasts, to sandwich bar, veggies, baked goods. Hot chocolate to vino. This will be the thing you remember most about Wyoming. I haven't even talked about the llamas which only add to the charm of the whole thing. We have been to many places with our kids, roughing it to adventure to luxury, from Europe to Central America and all over the west--and to child they all said this was their favorite thing that they have ever done on vacation. Some day, we will be back.