“Takes your breath (and your wallet) away!” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   1535 North East Butte Road, Jackson, WY 83001   |
Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in Jackson
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Greenwich, Connecticut
“Takes your breath (and your wallet) away!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2007

One cannot help but feel a sense of exhilarating anticipation as the car creeps up the scenic, winding road to Amangani. Set on top of a butte, about 15 minutes from downtown Jackson,the sweeping views become more and more breathtaking as the ascent continues.

Once past the chaotic home construction and related vehicles near the end of the drive, one is faced with a multitude of choices... where to park? If one has done research before arrival, he or she knows what the building looks like: low, sprawling and sleek, fashioned out of stone and redwood, blending in with the hillside. What one doesn’t know is that the hotel is clustered together with buildings from Spring Creek Ranch and their restaurant, the Granary. It is confusing, because all of the promotional material suggests that the building is solitary. Instead, one arrives to a hodge-podge of buldings and parking areas, perched at the very top of the hill.

My partner and I spent our last night here on a two-week jaunt through Montana and Wyoming in early September. While we had hoped to spend all of our time in Jackson (5 nights) at Amangani, they were competely booked for a corporate event, so we had only one night here. We spent the first 4 nights at another property. All in all, I am happy that it worked out the way it did. With a base room rate of $950 for a deluxe suite, it was worth it for one night- any more nights that that, and I would have felt taken!

We finally figured out where to park and made our way to the front door. The entrance hall is near the top of the building, and the public rooms are tiered below. (If you have stayed in hotels along the Dalmation coast or in Positano, the effect is similar). The most exciting moment of our stay occurred as we entered the lobby and saw the immense view out through the grand center hall- mountains all around! It is reminscent of what happens at “Falling Water,” the Frank Lloyd Wright house in Pennsylvania - - - it is as if you squeeze through the keyhole to then expand into the main living space, with more than enough room to breathe. Nature, in all of her splendor, is right there for you to see through the massive windows.

The approach, the view, the architectural details: these are the reasons to visit Amangani. It is a real treat for the eyes. Service is excellent. The GM has instilled a feeling of welcome, warmth, and friendliness which emanates from all staff. Some have transferred from other Aman properties (Asia), some are local (young hottie transplants, mostly, who look like gussied-up ski bums) and some are working on J-1 visas for the season (cheap labor?). All in all, every person we encountered was genuinely pleasant, helpful, and competent. I still cannot get over how friendly everyone was.

The corner deluxe suite was magnificent. King bed with fireplace, day bed, huge dressing area - more than enough room for two. I understand the regular rooms, which are cheaper, only have a smaller terrace. Our wrap-around terrace could have easily held a cocktail party for 25 guests. Drawback- “Amangani Homes” construction noise nearby ruined any chance for daytime peace and quiet. It’s hard to embrace all of nature’s bounty with the sound of a table saw piercing the air between 8am and 4pm, although the strains of Ranchero music from the construction sites added a little to the atmosphere...

The heated pool and outdoor public spaces were expansive and comfortable. They also have an exercise room and a spa. The 60-minute, $140 massage was below average for me; my partner’s was excellent. Note that they include the therapist’s gratuity in your bill, so check it over before you hand him or her your cash for a tip.

The big problem with Amangani is that you are stuck up there on top of the hill for meals, unless you feel like driving down the butte into town. DO NOT EAT HERE or you will be sorely disappointed. The prices are a bit high and the food is “fake-fancy” mediocre. We cancelled our dinner reservation at the Amangani Grill after our below-average lunch. Navy bean soup and wilted caesar salad, with sliced garlic-stuffed olives strewn all over the top. Nearly broke a few teeth on the croutons.

We walked over to the Granary at Spring Creek Ranch for dinner instead, and that, too, was a distaster. So sad for our last night in Jackson. They were way understaffed, overworked, hassled (our waiter was freaking out). The food was terrible. (Did my USDA Prime NY Strip Steak come out of a portion-controlled plastic pouch with the grill cross-hatchings already embossed on it?) Nevertheless, I was impressed that they gave us a discount because the food came out so late. Thank you, Granary, for showing some class.

Breakfast at Amangani was OK, but nothing to write home about. I had eggs benedict, served atop smoked trout with a chipotle hollandaise sauce, with a nice side of asparagus, a mixed vegetable melange, and very good, crispy Idaho potatoes. For two, it was over $65 with tip (they include 18% service in the bill).

This will give you a picture of what Amangani is all about: the breakfast menu offers entrees from $15 to about $35, but there is a special egg entree on the menu which includes “one ounce of Osetra caviar and sour cream” for $210. Now, who is going to order THAT for breakfast? New money, not old.

All in all, I am happy to have experienced the place. If they improved the food, and included a great breakfast in their rates, like some other places in town, I might even return. Oh- and how about a coffee maker in the room?

Final verdict: One or two nights in a standard room for a splurge and to drink in the view, OK. More than that (and I don’t care how much money you have) you should have your head examined!

• Liked — The view and architecture, the helpful staff
  • Disliked — The hotel restaurant
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Annapolis MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2007

From the moment you step in the door, you are treating like you're a VIP guest. The staff was amazing. The rooms just beautiful,, with incredible views. The pool and spa were fantastic. The food was over the top great. And the best part of all-- it was kid friendly. They treated our 8, and 11 yr. old like they were welcome. It is one of the nicest places we've ever stayed. I'd stay here again in a heart beat. I highly, highly recommend this place. You will not be disappointed :)

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

We stayed at the Amangani for 4 nights this past July. We have stayed at many first class hotels around the world and this one is right up there. We loved the service, food and atmosphere. Most of the times without even asking they seemed to sense what is was you needed and it just appeared. We ate at the restaurant once and it was very good. The rooms are wonderfully comfortable, large and relaxing. Also, the place is spotless.

I would also recommend the Snake River Grill for dinner in town.

• Stayed July 2007
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2007

Amangani is yet another phenomenal Aman property. The location atop the Gros Ventre Butte is nothing short of breathtaking. Guy Heyward and his staff continue to demonstrate the Aman difference from rooms to transportation to meals. Traveled with my 6-year-old daughter for the Christmas and New Year's Holiday, and everything within Amangani's control was seamless.
Transportation to the mountain for skiing is simple with the ski shuttle. The hotel has a lodge on the mountain which is a great reprieve, for burning muscles, from the challenge of the black diamond runs! The hotel also has a "ski companion", Dave, who will ski with you and introduce you to the mountain, tips, and applicable runs for you skill level.
Meals were fantastic and the chef will make anything that you ask for---literally, as tested by my six-year-old. Babysitting was easily arranged, and the hotel has a fleet of Lexus SUV's that will take you anywhere.
Agree with the previous poster on small spa size; however, the spa is set for expansion in 2007... as I was told. I will say, however, that my spa treatments (massages, facials, and manicure) were among the best I have had anywhere in the world.
Consistent with other Aman properties, the clientele is very international. The Aman experience is unlike any other and is priced accordingly.
Enjoy the beauty, tranquility, and sublime service that is Amangani.

• Liked — Location, View, Rooms, and Service
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2007

My husband and I ventured to Jackson Hole for our honeymoon in July 2006. We decided to splurge and stay the last night at Amangani. What an unbelievable place! We were greeted by our first names as soon as we pulled up to the front door. Then we were greeted by our own personal Amangani representative who checked us in right in our suite. On the way to our suite, the manager of Amangani made a point to say hello to us and congratulated us on our recent wedding.

So we arrived to our room which was...total perfection. As soon as we opened the door, we were amazed by the awe-inspiring views from our balcony. Every inch of our room was crafted with the finest natural materials such as granite, slate and redwood. The minimalist decor evoked peace and serenity. Our bed was decorated with rose petals. The floors in our suite were heated! We were speechless for the first 10 minutes and then stayed in our room for another hour, just gauking at the details. This was total 'rock star" luxury!

We explored the grounds and found the pool. Again...complete luxury. We had our own pool attendant and just lounged around all day. The pool was also constructed of natural slate and had an infinity edge. I could not stop taking pictures of this place.

We retired back to our room and ordered room service. We wanted to be alone in our grand suite and enjoy the views from our balcony in privacy. The food was sublime! We got a roasted vegetable wrap and smoked trout wrap. Amangani has a way of making something ordinary (like a roasted veggie wrap) into something remarkable. I go out to dinner a lot, but my husband and I still rave about the food at Amangani.

We also got massages at Amangani since they are ranked as one of the best spas in the country. I must say, however, that I was disappointed in the spa. I've been to many spas and expected Amangani to be the best of the best. I was surprised that we had to walk through the main lobby in our robes to get to the spa. I was also surprised there wasn't a relaxation room/area to sit before our spa treatment. My husband and I had to sit in our spa robes in the main hallway that leads to the pool. It was very awkward for being such a highly ranked spa. I could also hear the people outside in the lobby, during my massage. I have been to spas in New York, Chicago, Las Vegas, LA and even Cincinnati, that are many, many levels above Amangani's spa.

But don't let that sway your decision to visit Amangani. It is truly an amazing, stunning place to stay. It was one of the many highlights of our honeymoon.

• Liked — Where do I begin? The food, the views and our suite, just to name a few...
  • Disliked — The spa waiting area is not relaxing and in the middle of traffic to the pool.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
Woking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2007

This is a beautiful hotel, off the beaten track unlike the Four Seasons. Everything in the hotel fits it location. The staff are attentive to your every need. The bedrooms are a good size with a remote instant log fire! The view from the balcony along with the snow made it a winter wonderland. In your bathroom you have a large sunken bath with the little added extra's of candles, the large step in shower that could accommodate a large family all at once, all of this has a view like none other! You can shower or bath looking out at the mountains. All of the toiletries are very high quality and beautiful to use. The body lotion and soap are lemon grass and awake your senses. It was only a short trip but would love to go back with my partner and enjoy the full experiance the full package of the outside heated pool and jacuzzi and all the spa facilities. It snowed mostly at night and was a beautiful sight to wake up to each morning. All your trips can be booked with the hotel directly. During my visit I managed to do the Wildlife Tour and got to see the wild Elk and tour the refuge for them, also an Elk Sleigh ride and got to see a bald Eagle, fantastic. And last but by no means least dog sledging, it was ab fab, and exhilarating. The dogs are brilliant and so lovable.

• Liked — It felt like home
  • Disliked — There was nothing not to like here!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rocky Mountains
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2006

Amangani is an odd place. I think a lot of people would love their stay at Amangani. Please keep in mind; it’s not near the ski resort, like the Four Seasons. On the plus side if you want to ski Snow King and out at Jackson Hole Ski Resort in Teton Village, one would be an equal distance to both mountains. And Amangani is closer to Jackson where you will find a lot of great dining. It's a perfect summer location.

This resort is on a butte with fabulous views. You can hear wildlife and architecture is dark, but interesting. I liked it. The bathrooms were not amazing if you ask me. I like to put on a spot of makeup in the evening before dinner. Good luck! No lighting. Also, sorry if this seems a little disgusting, but some things should not be seen. Um, for instance, the untraditional cool hip toilet makes a person feel like a wild animal in the forest after certain events. Yes, I’m complaining fellow posters… and it’s for good reason. This gave me the creeps and ruined my appetite for breakfast.

The staff honored all of my husband’s requests. He’s the tipper. The staff responded to none of my requests until they figured out I was staying with Mr. Wonderful. When this tid-bit of information was revealed I was greeted with them returning smiles, etc. Interesting.

Amangani is clean, well appointed, and it’s odd but the room service is not all day. If you’re an early riser, good luck with a pot of coffee. Although you can ask for it the night before.

This hotel has old fashioned keys for room security. Maybe I shouldn’t post that on the internet, but Amangani, update the locks, would you?

The restaurant is lovely. The service was good, the food very good. Jackson has so many restaurants. I would imagine there is something to be said for competition. Amangani will set up a private meal for you after meeting with the chef. This was okay.

You’ll receive a small carved wood animal, like on your key chain, when you depart. It’s a nice gesture and made us smile.

All in all we did enjoy our stay. If the few picky points I mentioned don’t bother you, then you will love this resort. Nothing dramatic sticks out in my mind. It would be a great place to be married actually. But that crazy toilet is enough to make me stay elsewhere.

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — the bathrooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Gift shop has amazing selection, bother to go in!!
  • Stayed April 2006
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Amangani? Share your experiences!