“Breathtaking Views” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in Jackson
NYC
“Breathtaking Views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

The views from the hotel are breathtaking. It overlooks the Tetons. As soon as you walk into the hotel your luggage is whisked away. We had a late flight and were starving when we landed. The hotel's driver called in our lunch order which we selected from the menus in the car. Our lunch arrived a few minutes after we sat down in the hotel restaurant. Huckleberry lemonade and chilled white wine were delivered to our room. This is the level of service that Aman is known. The service at the hotel is extraordinary.

The room is very large with a private bathroom/dressing room. The toilet is separate and there are two sinks. The toiletries are refillable which I don't like since it feels unsanitary. The beds are incredibly comfortable.

The restaurant's food is delicious. Eating at the hotel could be boring after a few nights since the menu is not lengthy. The menu, however, is just a suggestion. The chef will make anything you wish. The chef is so accommodating he even allowed me to order a half-portion of an entree. This is amazing service. We had early morning starts so the hotel prepared our breakfast to go which is a really nice. There is no extra charge for this service for Amex platinum members who have breakfast included.

The spa though looks like an after thought. There is no relaxation room and it is just a series of treatment rooms.

The pool is very large and fabulous for laps. There are chaises overlooking the most spectacular view. There are limited shade options and when it is windy, the umbrellas cannot be used. The staffing needs to be tweaked. On multiple occasions, I had to call to have the chair and umbrella set-up. I was disappointed that there were no little "extras" at the pool. Amanyara spoiled me so I was disappointed that this property did not offer suntan lotion or after sun lotion. It seems like most top hotels have sun tan lotion post-TSA regulations. Amanyara brought fruit kabobs in the morning, milkshakes in the afternoon and staff members even offered to clean my sun glasses. We were only asked here if we would like to order a drink...

The tour for wild life viewing was fabulous. It is a bit pricey at $100/hr but it includes the use of a BMW. It is well worth it since we would have never seen a moose without the guide. Our guide Andrew was terrific and very knowledgeable. I highly recommend this tour.

The hotel has teamed up with BMW and allows its guests to use a 7 series BMW for the day at no charge. This is an incredible service. If the car is not available, the hotel will have a car delivered and picked up by Dollar rent-a-car for a fee. There is no need to pick-up a car at the airport since the hotel also offers airport pick-up and drop-off at no charge.

The hotel had some thoughtful touches but at $1,000/day, I think this area could be tweaked. My expectations may also be higher having just stayed at Amanyara which seemed to go more above and beyond than this hotel. The hotel thoughtfully, provided a lovely back-pack in the room which is really nice and needed for visiting the two National Parks. They also place the famous luggage tag on your luggage as you depart for the airport. Upon departure, they give a little wooden animal which to me seemed silly. It seemed odd that they there were three oranges in a bowl during the summer season. At Amanyara, I had the most beautiful fruit bowl that was replenished each day. The mini-bar was included at Amanyara but here, there is a charge. There was nothing special done at turndown.

I took a look at The Four Seasons Hotel just to compare for future reference. It was definitely much more bustling. I was told that The Four Seasons is better in the winter and Amanyara is better in the summer and I would agree. The Four Seasons is located right by the ski lift which would be amazing for skiing. Yet, the serenity at Amangani is so incredible that staying by the ski lift in the summer would be irrelevant. The distance to drive to Teton Park was only a few minutes extra. We enjoyed watching the elk and hawks frolicking near the hotel.

Overall, the service is excellent and I loved staying at the hotel but Aman hotels should be consistent between properties in the services they offer. This property provided excellent service but needs to tweak its amenities to be consistent with other properties. While I LOVED Amanyara, I felt a bit let down at Amangani. The resort is visually beautiful and the service is excellent but for a $1,000/night, I expect above and beyond. Aman attracts a highly demanding guest who once they become Amanjunkies expect a certain level of service. That said, it is definitely, the nicest place to stay in JH.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Just walking in the door of the Amangani means relaxation for us! The hospitality and service at this hotel are beyond compare. Yes, it's expensive, but it's an indulgence that's rejuvenating . . . or at least that's what I say to myself! Meals at the restaurant are fantastic, of the highest quality and cheerfully customized. They even packed a full breakfast for my husband's 3am mountain climb departure. The decor is understated and adds to the peaceful feeling. The spa is wonderful as is the pool. Yes, this is heaven on earth!

Room Tip: They are all wonderful! Each room has a balcony.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Our family had visited Amangani 4 or 5 years ago and had such fond memories of the place that we decided to return this year. This is tricky, of course, because the potential for disappointment is large. We were, however, again confirmed in our judgement: this is our favorite hotel in the USA!
The reasons are manifold:
- the design, comfort and elegance of the hotel itself
- the Aman standard of service (example: cleaning your room when you are having breakfast)
- the personalized approach toward the guests (really trying to find out what interests and pleases you)
- the pool and spa (wonderful massages)
- the glorious surroundings and views
- and enough to do in and around Jackson Hole for a family.

The hotel is not for the faint-pursed, of course. But our 4 days here were bliss after our days in a Montana cabin.

The only improvement our boys (13 and 16) would have welcomed is a stronger WiFi-connection.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

After an active Backroads tour of Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, this was the perfect place to relax for a few days. The staff was exceptional, as was the spa and food for lunch. The entire hotel, including our room, had a beautiful view of the mountains and plains, and was serene as could be. Our bed and suite was deliciously comfy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Have a fabulous time at one of the best properties in the world; seemless service, stunning rooms breathtaking views. The team of employees are extremely attentive and helpful. The room design (esp. the heated floors, fireplace and bath/shower with a view) are tastful and impeccably clean. The house car is a great benefit as well to drive in to town or shuttle to the mountain. I wish we never had to leave....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

As jaded travelers, my husband and I expected the usual outstanding service and amenities of a high end resort. We were treated to a whole new level of "spoilage" as we now call it! From the moment we arrived we were greeted by name and made to feel at home. And what a charming home. Quietly elegant, nestled unobtrusively into the hillside and featuring spectacular views, the Amangani is a soothing oasis. After a tour of the resort we were shown to our room where we were served Huckleberry lemonade and found a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc on ice. Our room was beautiful, with walls of glass overlooking our private deck and the mountains, a fireplace, comfy sitting area and large bathroom with his and hers dressing areas and vanities. Every staff member is a "thinker" who takes guest comfort very seriously. Whether we chose to sit in the "living room" area with two fireplaces, the "library" with books and dvds to borrow, the game room or one of the outside decks, a staff member was on hand to stoke the fire, serve a snack or amuse with an anecdote. When I was laid low with altitude sickness (make sure you stay hydrated!) my husband wandered down to the kitchen frequently for tea, ginger ale and crackers (they would have, of course, delivered them to the room but I preferred that my hubby bring them!) When I recovered they made me every little thing I craved -- onion soup, chocolate mousse. The dining room is a friendly place and they try hard to please. Really, just take the menu as a suggestion. What I loved especially is that there is never a pesky check to sign or tip to hand out. It's all on your final bill. When you are done eating you can just leave. Take your drink back to your room or out to the deck. Or have your half-finished bottle of wine kept in the kitchen for the next day. It's just like staying at a friend's house (a very wealthy friend). Winter or summer, there is lots to do in the area if you love the outdoors. The staff will happily make suggestions, pack a picnic, or arrange your adventures. Be as active (or lazy) as you wish. This is not a place to show off your own personal wealth; ostentation is out of place here. But if you are looking for a cozy cocoon where you are completely cared for, this is the place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Amangani is a beautiful resort - the rooms are comfortable (not amazing, but very comfortable) and the views are great. It's a great place to start your morning / relax in the afternoon and evening during a ski trip. The food is excellent, as is the service. The pool is also beautiful (and while we were there, it remained empty, which was nice). I will definitely return.

Room Tip: We ate some great food here - I remember having a few delicious breakfasts and an elk chop for dinne...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Amangani? Share your experiences!