“Great experience” 4 of 5 stars

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
“Great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We had a ton of fun on our snowmobile tour. Reed was our guide. Because of time constraints and the fact that you're on a snowmobile, you don't get much instruction about the park, however you stop at least 6-7 times for breaks, pictures, etc. We did the Old Faithful tour and it included breakfast and lunch. Seeing Old Faithful in the winter was amazing! We also got to see Buffalo close enough to touch them!
Only reason for 4 stars was that they were about 15 minutes late picking us up, so we felt a little rushed. We also booked early for our trip and saved 10%.

Visited March 2013

New York City, New York
“Do your homework before choosing who takes you to Yellowstone”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Mixed experience here.

Yellowstone is one of natural wonders of the US. I was SO excited to see the park in winter via a snowcoach tour, take photos and learn more about this marvelous place. That was well worth the $267 for the daytrip I thought. Most of the basics of the snowcoach tour w/ Rocky Mountain Snowmobile/ Snowcoach were met: on-the-dot 6am pick up time; full, hot breakfast; water in the van; pleasant, kind driver; timely arrival at the park.

It was snowing very hard when we entered the park and it seemed we were the first people to enter the park from the South based on the snow tracks. Our driver said not to worry. As we got deeper into the park though and it was snowing more, she started to seem worried and wanted to get to the first stop so she could talk to a ranger to see if "we would even make it to Old Faithful". I had asked her in the beginning if she should radio ahead and find out the conditions and she said they don't do that unless it is an emergency. But then she started to sound worried, which in turn made me worry.

During the ride, it was relatively quiet in the van. Our driver did not provide much commentary. I assumed she was focused on driving - of course the right thing to do. But even when I did ask questions about the park, there were really very few she could answer in detail - even basic questions like how many visitors visit the park per year (standard wikipedia fact). She did answer some questions and was nice enough about it but clearly was not someone who has great knowledge of this place, which is what you expect from a "guide" - who is somene different from a "driver" or a "chaperone" who just gets us from point A to point B safely, which of course is important. But I view a guide as someone who really knows where he/she is taking us. She even talked about how she went from a desk job to this job. So in short, it seemed this was a "job" for her.

When we got to the first stop, West Thumb, the ranger said the weather was fine and we could continue on our way. Our driver said we could explore the surrounding thermal area by ourselves for 20 minutes and be on our way. Ok.

Next stop - near a river just shy of Old Faithful, where we saw a BEAUTIFUL HUGE bison in the distance! It was incredible and our driver allowed us plenty of time to get out & take photos. I heard another snowmobile guide talking about the bison so I listened in.

We then had lunch at the Geiyser Grill & headed to Old Faithful for the eruption. We were not rushed. Our guide told us to listen to the ranger's explanation of OF which we did. The eruption in winter is nothing to write home about. A white rush of water, over white snow in front of a snowy background... but still cool. After the eruption and lunch, we headed North to Biscuit Basin I think it is called (our driver was nice enough to take us a bit further north to see this place where we saw TONS of bison - maybe 50-70 - 3 separate heards)! We spent about 10 minutes there. There was a walkway where I saw 2 groups walking to get very close to a couple of bison. I estimate for me to go and come there it would have taken 15 min max. This in a 12 hour day. But she said we did not have time and we needed to get back due to the snow. Nobody else in the van wanted to walk either so I was outnumbered. Rush, rush. But I still longed for a beautiful "up close" of a bison.

On the way back we saw more bison from a distance and a coyote! When we saw a snowmobile flip on the opposite side of the road, our driver promptly stopped and helped flipped the snowmobile right sideup. Talk about a powerhouse - kudos to her! On the way back, we stopped at a waterfall and other winter scenes of creeks/ rivers which was great. But on the way, I specifically asked if we could stop where we saw the first bison near the river to try and get my "close up". She slowed down there and as we crossed the bridge I looked back and down near the the road/river, the bison was right there! I asked her to stop. It would have taken TWO seconds and I could have taken the photo that I really wanted right from the van. It was a perfect, yet safe photographic vantage point. But she kept driving and said "she did not see the bison" How could she? It was on the right side of the vehicle and down the slope. But I TOLD her and I SAW it. But she chose to keep going. I'm sitting in NYC still dreaming about that almost-photo.

When we left the park, and entered the highway - to top it off - the van had a problem and could not drive us back to town. The company had to send another driver and the other passengers had to wait another 1.5 hours for that driver to come from town to then drive them back. I was LUCKY that some friends on a snowmobile trip behind us had space for 1 person in their van to bring me back to town in a timely manner.

I highly recommend seeing the beauty of Yellowstone in the winter but I suggest doing your research before you chose your company.

PS) I've put this review both here & on yelp to help more people decide who to tour with.

Visited February 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
3 attraction reviews
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Our tour guide (James) made this experience a pleasure for our St. Valentine's Day vacation. James was five minutes early to pick us up and was very welcoming. His instructions and expectations for the day were clear and he was patient with questions from the tourists. We had a nice continental breakfast at the snowmobile shop and were fitted with our gear there. The instructions from James on how to work and ride the machines were clear and easy to follow. He was very concerned about our safety and that we would have a good time. James was attentive to all of the tourists needs and inquiries. Our tour was to the Granite Hot Springs, where we relaxed in the hot springs and were cooked/served a wonderful steak lunch (we had the choice of steak, salmon, or chicken). James took us to a big, open area and gave us free-range to play on our sleds. This was our first time on snowmobiles and our first time in Jackson Hole, so this was the perfect trip (and perfect tour guide) to get to know both aspects.

Visited February 2013
Tampa Bay
“In all respects excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

For real snowmobiling ask for the Brooks Lake Lodge trip with Dave as your guide. Also upgrade to the 2 stroke snow machines.

Visited January 2013
Cumming, Georgia
“Awesome Snowmobile and Snowcoach Adventures!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife booked two adventures with RMST. Snowcoach to Yellowstone and Snowmobile to Gros Ventre. We had never been on snowmobiles. RMST is a fantastic company with great customer service. When we arrived at the shop we were given breakfast and outfitted for the Snowmobile trip. We appreciated James (our guide) taking the time needed to be sure we were all properly fitted with boots, snowsuits, gloves, helmets, etc for the trip. The van ride to Gros Ventre was short and James gave us a very informative run down on what to expect. James did a good job making us comfortable with the snowmobile operations and riding rules. The trails in Gros Ventre are not crowded so at times it felt like we were the only people out there. Gros Ventre is one of the most beautiful places in the Jackson Hole area with tons of wildlife. We saw Big Horn Sheep, Elk, Moose and a Wolf. We made several stops for pictures. RMST provided a very nice relaxing lunch in a heated cabin. This snowmobile trip was the highlight of our trip to Jackson Hole. We highly recommend RMST.
We also booked a Snowcoach with RMST and found it to be a great way to see Yellowstone and stay warm in the process. RMST picked us up on time at our hotel and headed to the shop for breakfast. Our guide, Reed, was very courteous and knowledgeable providing a great deal of information along the way. We made several stops for awesome pictures. We had lunch at the Old faithful café and of course saw Old Faithful. We are thankful to Reed and RMST for making this trip very enjoyable.
Scott and Barbara Pardue