“Good value for the money.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Gillette
“Good value for the money.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Needed a place to stay on way home from Cheyenne frontier days. Had stayed at this hotel before and was quite impressed with the facility. On this stayed the front desk staff was very nice. Requested a ground floor room and was granted the request. Was a little nervous after reading some of the more recent reviews but didn't have any issues. Will stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013
Debby S, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Gillette, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Michelle,
Thank you very much for taking time to let us know that you had a good stay here. We are happy we could exceed your expectations. I hope to see you in the near future.
Debby Simpson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Dodgeville, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We've stayed in a lot of older motels with some wear and tear of age but most have been clean. This is not only old and definitely showing its age but tips the scale toward the dumpy side. The fridge was not clean. I wouldn't let my husband put anything in it that wasn't sealed. There was hair on the sheet when I pulled the blankets back, as well as cigarette burns in the blankets. The carpet was dirty, obviously not vacuumed well, if at all. There was also hair on the toilet seat and the bowl was not well cleaned. I've worked cleaning hotel/motel rooms and would be ashamed to leave a room in this condition. There is obviously no concern for quality or customer's experience here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Debby S, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Gillette, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam
Thank you very much for your review, We sincerely apologize for the substandard condition of your room. At the Howard Johnson, we take great pride in our high standards of cleanlinness. Unfortunately, you experienced a time when we obviously did not meet those standards.
My hope is that you will allow us another opportunity to serve you.
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I think this hotel deserves being considered a below-average HoJo. I have stayed in many different HoJo hotels, and this is the worst by far. I booked this hotel online. Per the booking, the room was to have a hair dryer (my girlfriend was with me), coffee maker, A/C, alarm clock, and non-smoking. We were given a room in the back of the hotel on the first floor. I was apprehensive about parking in the back because it is not well lit. When we entered the room through the door from the parking lot, the light switch didn't do anything. I used the light on my phone to find my way to the bathroom to turn that light on. Once I did, I discovered that all of the lamps in the room were unplugged. I plugged them in and they did not work. The only lights we could get working were the bathroom light and the wall sconce above the TV. The alarm clock was stuck in radio mode and the screen did not display anything resembling the time; I unplugged it. Once entering the bathroom, we discovered there was no hairdryer, coffeemaker (but there was coffee), and the ceiling fan was hanging below the ceiling tiles. There was also a mold odor. Shortly before going to bed, we turned on the A/C which was very noisy. It was obvious that the room had been a smoking room previously from the odor coming from the A/C. Breakfast was average--coffee and prepackaged items (cereal, yogurt, etc.). Before leaving, I made the Manager aware of the deficiencies we found. She said she would make a note, but the way in which she responded made it clear that she was just telling me what I wanted to hear and nothing would be done. Bottom-line: I understand a HoJo is a budget hotel. I expect an older hotel with standard amenities that have been used hard, but are still functional and clean. This hotel did not meet those expectations in any way. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room in the front of the hotel on the second floor. Due to the fact the rooms have doors that...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Debby S, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Gillette, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,
As a Howard Johnson , We are proud of our culture and spirit to serve. Our Goal for our guest is to feel welcome and well cared while they're staying with us. After reading your reviews I feel we've have let you down and I want to assure you that we are looking into all the issues you experienced. Please allow us when you are bback in Gillette, Give us a chance to make it right.
Debby Simpson

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Gillette? Share your experiences!