“Wonderful Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lazy L and B Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dubois
The Lazy L and B Ranch
1072 East Fork Road, Dubois, WY 82513   |
Ranked #2 of 12 Specialty lodging in Dubois
Des Moines, Iowa
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Beautiful scenery! Jason and Deb were fantastic! Every care and need was met! One of the BEST vacations my family and I ever took. The entire staff was ready and willing to make our experience living on a dude ranch outstanding!!! The food was amazing!! Chefs were GREAT!! Wranglers were very concientious of our needs and riding abilities. Jason's special POND was cold but we all had a very good time. If anyone is looking to do an out of the ordinary vacation, you can't beat the Lazy L & B ranch. We rode the horses every day with 2 all-day rides designed to give an extraodinary experience to each participant!!! Highly recommend this to everyone. I'll surely be back!!!

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sewell, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

First of all, the drive to L& B (no matter where from) is nothing short of fantastic. We drove two hours from The Jackson Hole Airport, and we almost wished it were longer. Once at L&B, we were treated to a view like no other - snow-capped mountains on all sides, some desert, steams, rivers. Truly amazing views! Talk about "off the beaten path!!!"

The staff was very friendly and cordial - every single one of them. The owners, Jason and Debbie, were amazingly accommodating and friendly. The food - something we didn't expect - was gourmet! Every single meal was pleasant and restaurant-quality. Our room (actually a log cabin) was rustic, clean, and more than adequate for our needs.

The wranglers were extremely knowledgable and also very friendly and accommodating. Our horses were well-mannered and fun! The rides were extremely exhilarating and incomparable! I am an advanced rider, my wife is not, but we both had loads of fun, while always feeling safe and secure. We walked, trotted, and loped, according to conditions and setting. But always, we felt that the wranglers could and would handle whatever contingency might have occurred, given that the rides were not "bunny rides,' but honest-to-goodness serious rides.

The atmosphere was congenial, relaxed, and altogether pleasant. Coming home from this trip was the only regret we had. My wife and I have traveled extensively over the last 20 years, and sampled all kinds of vacations, domestic and foreign, and this trip would be right on top of that list. Coming here, we had just wanted to do some horseback riding, but, boy, were we in for a treat of a lifetime! So totally unexpected!

I would recommend the Lazy L&B at the highest terms possible and without reservations whatsoever. We will be back!!!

Room Tip: Don't worry about the rooms/ cabins. The owners will pick the best one for you, depending on ho...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Silverado, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Once again we had an amazing week at the Lazy L&B. The Halmays have created the most inviting and relaxing ranch experience ever. The food was amazing, with a gourmet chef that knows his way around fish, steak, vegetables, everything! (And he was sensitive to food allergies) We rode every day, including 2 all-day rides. Piper, the head wrangler, and the rest of the wranglers take expert care of horses and riders. The trails were gorgeous in early June and the sagebrush gave up some antler sheds! We saw wild horses, elk, moose, antelope and a beaver. In addition to riding, there is always something to do - pool, hot tub, fishing, shooting, games, hiking or just rest! We'll go back next year!

cleveland ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Deb and Jason and their girls run a great dude ranch with superb food, beautiful views and great horseback riding. This is a great place to get away from it all and enjoy the mountains of Wyoming in all their splendor. The staff are excellent and the family owners are really nice people who are fun to get to know. We enjoyed every minute of our trip and hope to go back next year.

new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

You found it! Look no further unless you need the 5 star spa hotel type of experience or you want to lasso cows and repair fences all day. For the rest of us this is beyond perfection in EVERY way. I visited Lazy L and B at the end of August 2013 with my 6 year old daughter. I kept putting off writing this review because I don't think I can do it justice.

On the way to Lazy L and B we drove past other ranches which had been on our short list, all lovely properties off the main road. We drove through Dubois and then finally around the back of the mountain to Lazy L and B. It is truly in the back of beyond and totally worth the drive there! What scenery. Absolutely STUNNING - the blue sky, the orange red mountain and the fields. This location is in a class of its own. Lazy L and B is nestled in an oasis, with a river running past and 2 ponds. The cabins are very pretty and comfortable. Near to our cabin we watched a beaver in one of the ponds at sunrise in the golden light of dawn building his den. Just magical. The shooting stars at night and the number of stars you can see is breathtaking.

We were near novices but that is not as issue on this ranch. First of all there are many horses to choose from and the rangers match the horse to the rider carefully. The instruction given is good and loping is allowed when the ground is suitable. Some ranches only allow walking. The rides are all different and interesting. Our favorite was probably riding onto the Indian Reservation land and seeing the mustang, but it is hard to choose, each was special in some way.

The horses were in very good condition even coming to the end of the season. Care was taken to rotate the horses being used and to give extra rations as needed. At the slightest question mark about a horse's condition it was rested and carefully observed. Even an older thinner horse who was in the herd but not being ridden got extra feeding. As a vet I was very comfortable and impressed with the set up and the care that all animals on the property received.

Deb is the most genuinely kind person you will come across anywhere. Jason is also very kind and fun and he can cook really well, so no worries about what will happen if the cook gets sick etc, you will always eat well here! The staff at the ranch were all great people and each contributed to the joy of our holiday in their own special way. Although the staff were not family they were like a family in many ways and the atmosphere was wonderful. We had a lot of fun at and after dinner. Deb and Jason are good at choosing staff who share their commitment to the guests and the animals, and who are kind and fun and easy to be with. Some staff will return and others will move on, and while I would love to go back with Judy, Hunter, Hilary, Michael, Annette and co there, I am completely confident that Deb and Jason will always have good people working with them.

The family/ child friendliness is absolutely genuine. Dd tested this a couple times as she was out of her mind with joy and excitement. Deb and Jason have 3 wonderful daughters themselves. My daughter and I were the only guests by chance when we went, a very unusual situation as a large group had sadly been forced to cancel. Still we were offered the full range of activities and always were able to choose if to ride together or separately (we did a bit of both). A lot of care was taken to entertain my daughter while Jason and Deb's kids were at school, and after school the kids played together.

Practicalities of the trip: Deb runs a small convenience store with snacks and toiletries, but if you need something particular think of bringing it with you or stopping at the grocery in Dubois on the way there. Once there you will not want to leave! The food served is very good and I still long for the salads and dressings. If travelling with kids or anyone with particular eating habits and needs I suggest discussing the menu with Jason and Deb beforehand so you can relax fully while there. They are very accommodating and into food. Dd eats a variety but on the plainer side, so I should have done this to avoid her for example being served meat sauce on top her pasta. Which was then changed and not at all an issue, but it would have been easier for all had I discussed her eating with them at the outset. On the dude ranches there is generally no menu but I have to stress again that the food here is delicious and the hosts are kind and accommodating and can cook themselves if need be. There is a washing machine and a dryer on the property for staff and guest use, I was easily able to do laundry but we were the only guests at the time. If you want to ride in English riding style helmets bring your own. We did and I did feel at ease knowing my child's head was encased. There are no helmets that you can borrow on dude ranches. Internet access was good in the cabin. Mobile phone service may not be as easy.

We had the most wonderful experience at Lazy L and B and we hope to return some day. We were lucky enough to combine our visit to Lazy L and B with a trip to Yellowstone, that went very well. Happy riding and I hope you will also see the moose and her current calf next to the river as you ride out, the mustang, the coyote, the rabbits and hares, the shed antlers,....

Room Tip: Discuss with Deb! We were near the ranch cook out spot by the pond, across the lawn from the lodge a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Thank you Deb and Jason and all your excellent staff for making our first dude ranch experience so unforgettable! The location of the ranch is beautiful (hot tub next to the river too!), the people are fantastic, the food yummy, the horses are in amazing shape for the incredible daily rides into stunning Wyoming vistas. The hosts take extra special care of their guests. The cabins are cute (comfy beds!) the public lodge is a lovely rustic living room with lots of games and a nice fireplace (and bar)! Our stay at Lazy L&B will remain one of the most memorable experiences that we have ever had. I loved every single moment of it and we were both sad to leave!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Houma, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We spent a week in July at this ranch. It was the most amazing vacation ever. I spent a long time researching ranches for us to visit and I don't think I couldn't have picked a better one. Deb, Jason, and their girls along with the whole staff made us feel welcome from the moment we arrived. They made us feel like family. The ranch is beautiful and the food was wonderful . Each ride was different and the scenery was breathtaking ! The kids loved the petting zoo and the pool . We did not having any experience riding horses, but the wranglers were patient with us. They were great with the kids. After the first day, the kids did not miss television . The itinerary for the week is well planned. You can relax between rides or participate in activities if you wish. We were fortunate to be there during a week when there were other children. We made a lot of new friends that we won't soon forget, especially Deb and Jason. Our youngest daughter sobbed on the flight home, because she missed her new friends and did not want to leave them. Our children don't want to go on vacation anywhere else. Would definitely recommend this ranch! Frankie L.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Lazy L and B Ranch? Share your experiences!