“Week at the Bitterroot, Wyoming, June 2012” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bitterroot Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dubois
Bitterroot Ranch
1480 E. Fork Rd., Dubois, WY 82513   |
Ranked #4 of 12 Specialty lodging in Dubois
Sammamish, WA
“Week at the Bitterroot, Wyoming, June 2012”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I recently spent a fabulous week at the Bitterroot-horses, hosts, guests, scenery and even the weather were all top notch. The horses are beautifully trained and we all found ourselves quickly attached to our regular rides, the hosts-Bayard, Mel, Hadley and Richard and the wranglers were consistently gracious, fun, interesting and always willing to share their knowledge and enthusiasm about their ranch and beautiful surroundings. Our week of guests were equally fun and interesting and we quickly bonded over our shared good times, including jaunts into town for the weekly square dance and rodeo. The rooms were rustic, but very comfortable. There is limited internet/phone access, but in a setting like this, no one really cared, nor should they have! The food was gourmet wonderful, as were the pre-evening meal wine and hors d'oeuvres. By the end of the week, it felt like we had shared in a family ranch and history, and indeed, we had. Many of us are already trying to figure out a way to get back to the ranch or on another Equitours trip.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

My daughter and I spent a wonderful week at the Bitterroot Ranch where we were treated like family and rode the most wonderful horses. The horses are extremely well cared for and you can ride a different horse just about on every ride depending on your ability, size and the number of rides you do. We both rode twice everyday (the maximum) and there was never a dull moment with new trails and new adventures always at the ready.
The food was excellent with both the previous and new chef dishing up yummy, filling meals that were practically gourmet. They only serve wine and no other spirits in case that matters.
The accommodations are somewhat rustic in old cabins that are set apart for plenty of privacy and quiet time. Internet and phone access is low to non-existent - this is a quiet, shut regular life out trip.
There were a couple of activities in town the week we were there with square dancing and the rodeo, which were a ton of fun to attend.
The company we shared the trip with were outstanding and this will go down as one of the best trips I have ever been on. Great people who became friends within the week, great animals and a relaxing week of wonderful riding.

Check it out!!

Room Tip: You could ask for a 'newer' cabin though it is not really necessary. There is no pool or sa...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Bitterroot ranch is listed as one of the top 1000 places to see before you die; it would make the top 100 and maybe top 10. My family [wife an experienced horsewoman, and son and I, both novices] had an awesome time there in June 2012.
The setting; the ranch and the Shoshone National Forest, around the east fork of the Wind River is beautiful; and the rides took us through it in grades ranging from easy to heart in your mouth. The accommodation is comfortable and happily free of electronics [unless you really have to]; and the food great.
Best of all were our hosts; Bayard, Mel, Hadley, Richard and the competent and jovial team they have assembled [wranglers and other staff]. They and our fellow guests provided great conversation and hilarious discussions.
Things work at Bitterroot, without fuss and just enough adrenaline to make life interesting; and if you’re feeling deprived of excitement, there’s the odd bear around the place or you can find a precipitous hill to gallop up.
The Fox family arrange rides in other parts of the world through Equitours and as a family we’re already planning another trip with them.

Room Tip: There"s actually no swimming pool; the river fed by snowmelt worked just fine for me though!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
roswell, ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Some comments on my trip May 27-June 2nd, 2012: Kudos to all the wranglers. I’ve never seen such a great combination of area knowledge, horsemanship and genuine warmth rolled into each individual. There were no “dumb” questions no matter how many times they had been asked before. It was nice to see an emphasis on safety for horse and rider. Mel has quite an eye for quickly assessing abilities and matching them up to the appropriate mount and ride. Hadley you are a superb instructor. That was evident in “movie night” where you took folks like Molly, Pat and Andrea to levels even they probably didn’t think they would attain. For myself, “horse care 101″ was a terrific refresher for skills I once learned but hadn’t used for years. I’ll never forget the first ride. Our group experienced everything from sunshine to clouds, wind, rain and sleet, all in the same ride. Coming back that first trip there was blue sky to our immediate left, sleeting/wind around us and rain developing in the valley below us. You just can’t get that in Roswell Ga!
I think Eva should get special mention. She was our celebrity guest chef and made that fabulous chocolate souffle cake for everyone the night before she left. Thanks to John for wonderful meals. Kudos to the dining room and cabin staff as well. And nicest of all, they did my laundry!! I was so impressed!! My last comment is fantasy: I wish Bitterroot were closer.

Room Tip: I was in the Cottonwood cabin which had narrow beds. Next time I'll choose a cabin with wider on...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

This is the 11th riding vacation we have taken and it ranks as on of the best.

This is a ranch where the focus is on horses and the riding. There ranch has a large number and wide range of horses to cater for all abilities. As many reviewers have noted you are asked to take a short test in the ring before you set of on your first ride. I was a little nervous about being judged but it is a very straight forward, a wrangler sets the pace on a lead horse and you are asked to follow and demonstrate you can post the trot and two point canter (a bit like jump position if like me you did not know what two point was). Then you are good to go. Whilst it is a very short assessment an experienced eye can quickly see if the rider is balanced and comfortable and matched to their horse. I felt Mel was generous in her assessment and simply wanted to see you are balanced in the position you are asked to adopt and won't put unnecessary stain on the horses back or mouth.

Throughout the week we had the opportunity to ride several horses and whilst I was happy with all of mine I'm sure if I had asked for any change they would have tried to accommodate. In the week we were there there were no absolute beginners and the ranch was not full but I can not identify with the comments of a review below about being put in a group and stuck there as we often rode out with different guests. The rides are led by a member of the Fox family or one of the wranglers. Every ride takes a different route, the terrain is varied and the scenery is spectacular. The pace is in part determined by the terrain (everything from flat plains to steep and rocky climbs / descents) but every ride offered good opportunities to canter. The rides are often in single file due to the nature of the terrain but they are very relaxed with no unnecessary rules and you never feel you are following nose to tail. I enjoyed every one.

The accommodation at the ranch is basic but comfortable with plenty of hot water and heating in the cabins for the chilly evenings. The beds in our cabin were somewhat creaky and mice were frequent visitors but generally we slept well. Food at the ranch is good and varied and there is plenty of it you certainly will not go hungry. There is no honesty bar so if you want any soft drinks or beer you need to take it with you as it is a long way to the nearest shop in Dubois.

Last but not least the people. Everyone a the ranch works very hard to make sure you have a great holiday. Whilst some are naturally more social than others eveyone has their role to play and together make a great team that deliver a great experience. We would love to return one day.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

My husband and I just got back from our very first trip to the Bitterroot Ranch, and it was nothing short of AMAZING! At the beginning of the year, I had looked for a dude ranch that had a strong focus on riding and a unique appreciation of its horses; Bitterroot fit all the criteria that I was looking for! On the way to the ranch, you take a 17 mile dirt road (a bit more paved than a standard dirt road, which is good) to the Ranch and along the way you see absolutely beautiful scenery that changes every few miles. Sometimes it looks like a painted desert, sometimes like a thick lush forest with a backdrop of beautiful snow-capped mountains. As you approach the ranch, you go over a hill and down the road that takes you to the cabins that are all nestled along a small river. As you pull up, you cross a bridge and will likely encounter one of the ranch's labs, wolfhounds, or the adorable poodle - Whistle. Immediately, you feel at ease.

The staff is incredible. As a few other reviewers mentioned, the ranch is run by the Fox family - Bayard, Mel, Richard and Hadley (Richard's wife) - and has the wonderful appeal of a professionally run facility with a wonderful family touch. The first night (and every night afterwards) starts with a lovely cocktail hour and delicious appetizers and then progresses to an amazing home cooked dinner by the ranch's chef - Stu. Every meal was wonderfully tasty, and very diverse! We ate everything from Mexican Enchiladas, Turkey and Mashed Potatoes, Indian Curry, and Cheese Souffle (to mention just a few). Lunch and dinner are both served buffet style, but waitresses help with clean-up, coffee/tea, and dessert (always amazing). I had heard about how good the food was, but was still pleasantly surprised at every single meal! Additionally, I only eat poultry and fish, and every night a beef option was served, Stu whipped me up a wonderful vegetarian option. Even when we had a picnic lunch, they remembered to include a vegetarian sandwich when the other options were meatloaf and roast beef - such a nice touch!

Now to the most important - the horses! They have beautiful Arabians (and a few other breeds, including some huge and gentle Percherons) who are very well trained and horses/riders are matched based on the rider's ability and personality. Initially, Mel makes an assessment based on a questionnaire, but it's my understanding that she will change the horse/rider matchup after a riding evaluation and throughout the week if need be. She basically makes sure that both horse and rider are having a great experience by appropriately matching up skills. Additionally, because they have such a high horse to guest ratio, you're able to different horses throughout the week and the horses are always fresh - never run down like other ranches. Since most riders are horse lovers, I know many people appreciate how much the family loves and takes care of their horses. I got matched with four horses that I rode throughout the week and all were wonderful!

The rides are beautiful and go through ever-changing landscapes and scenery. Even though all rides originate out of the ranch, you never get bored because they have so many different trails to go on. The wranglers are fantastic as well and very experienced - several have worked at the Bitterroot for years! I always felt comfortable with the terrain and safe riding with the wranglers who have a true love and appreciation for the horses and the land.

Another great aspect is that the ranch offers riding lessons on Tuesday and Thursday, if a guest wishes to partake in them. They are instructed by Hadley - a wonderful woman who was basically raised alongside ponies/horses from the time she was born. She's a gifted teacher and her lessons are always filled with encouragement, optimism, and gentle honesty. She can teach anyone - an 80 year old man, a 10 year old child, or me - a 30 year old woman. After the first lesson, I learned how to two-point canter when I had only ever sat the canter, and felt comfortable doing it all week! The lessons are also videotaped and fun to watch after dinner.

The cabins are adorable and bigger on the inside than they look on the outside. They are scattered along a small road that is adjacent to the river, and offer just the right amount of comfort, convenience and privacy. Additionally, the main house has a pool table, dining room, large living room with a fireplace, and a nice sun room - lots of space to gather and converse with your fellow riders if you would like or go into a different room for more quiet / privacy. There's also a large porch that offers plenty of seating for everyone to enjoy a sunset and a nice glass of wine.

My fellow guests were very personable and from all different parts of the country. They varied from beginning riders to extremely advanced riders who all shared a love for horses and the beautiful landscape. In fact, it was one couple's tenth visit and another couple's seventh! That, to me, speaks volumes about the ranch, its hosts, and its horses.

Overall it was an amazing vacation and I was so sad to leave. The Bitterroot is a special place with a wonderful ambiance. I am definitely going back next year and have already started counting down the days!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

My husband, 12 year old son and I are intermediate western style riders and love to canter and lope. We came to the Bitterroot for a week at the end of August upon the recommendation of Gene Kilgore, a ranch guidebook author, whom I contacted with the intention of finding a ranch where we could focus our riding time on cantering and loping (and galloping, if possible).

When we arrived at the ranch on Sunday, we were warmly greeted by Hadley, one of the four owners who consist of Bayard and Mel and their son Richard and Hadley (his wife). Bayard, Richard, and Hadley were extremely gracious, social, and charming. It was a joy to be around them. Mel, Bayard's wife, who is much less social, is in charge of the riding program. The style of riding at the ranch is called Centered which is a combination of Western and English riding where the horses neck rein, but you must post the trot or canter in a two point or galloping position. On Monday morning, you are assessed by Mel via a 30 second riding test. With this quick evaluation, she will put you in one of three general riding groups (beginner, intermediate, and advanced) and you will stay in that group for the rest of the week, even if you do take the two lessons that Hadley teaches and which I enormously benefited from. If you fall into our category (the intermediate one), you will get primarily the older horses and take the nose-to-tail walking rides. If you have lots of English or Centered riding experience, you will get into the advanced category and be able to canter and gallop with the best horses on rides that Mel leads. Any improvement cannot and will not be recognized for the week, regardless of the fact that Hadley is a great teacher and can advance your skills quickly.

The great reviews have come from either beginners who don't mind the nose-to-tail walking rides or the advanced great riders that have gotten the limited great horses and been able to gallop with Mel leading the rides. If you want to improve and move up in riding capability, you should go someplace else, as it won't happen at the Bitterroot.

With that being said, my son did enjoy playing with all of the six dogs and made some nice friends from Scotland. We enjoyed the fine dinner conversation with interesting guests from all over the country and Europe. The food was good and plentiful and I looked forward every afternoon to the nice wine and appetizers being offered prior to dinner. Our cabin was located next to the lodge and was spacious, clean, but very dark.

The wranglers consisted of all college aged females, who although they were extremely friendly and knowledgeable, don't hold a candle to the real cowboys whom I enjoyed at the previous ranches I visited like the Rimrock in Cody, WY and the Elkhorn in Tucson, AZ. The scenery at the ranch was nice, although it was a bit dry with sagebrush and pine beetle fallen trees everywhere. The staff were also very accommodating, but there was no chance to socialize with them, as they were kept separate from the guests at all events.

If you are a beginning or advanced rider, you will most likely not be disappointed. However, as intermediate riders who were hoping to improve our riding ability, Bitterroot was an extreme disappointment.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
ChevalierDubois, Owner at Bitterroot Ranch, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
We are very sorry that the vacation at our ranch was a disappointment for this particular family. We do our utmost to make a visit to our ranch the experience of a lifetime but also emphasize the welfare and safety of our guests and horses. This focus at times disappoints guests with a different focus. As many of our reviews mention; if you are a horse lover, if you are interested in improving your riding ability, if you love riding through dramatic western scenery at an exhilarating (but safe) pace then you will love the Bitterroot Ranch.

Ranch family member Hadley Fox’s lessons have enabled many riders to move up several ability levels during a week’s stay. As guests improve, we are happy to move them into more advanced groups and with 140 horses under saddle for an average 25 guests there is no dearth of mounts for more advanced riders. It is a great pleasure for us to see people improve their skills and their appreciation and enjoyment in horsemanship during a week’s stay. For us there is nothing better than watching novice riders or those with fear issues progress over the course of a week to the point that they have a solid riding foundation and even a new passion in life.

Our ranch is a riding and working cattle ranch rather than a typical resort type dude ranch. The centered riding style we use fits well with the demands of our other company, Equitours worldwide riding tours. We feel that it is the safest and most comfortable style for both horse and rider. Our horses are trained to expect people to ride posting the trot and getting up in the stirrups at the canter. Learning this style of riding has helped many of our guests go on to take exciting and challenging rides in places like Africa. We try to make this as clear as possible on our website.

For many we are a perfect match but our focus on safety and riding improvement is not for everyone. Over the years we have occasionally had guests with very little interest in expanding their equestrian horizons and at times this had led to a disappointing visit to our ranch. Riders that have a need for speed but are unwilling to avoid bouncing along out of balance and out of sync with the horse sometimes have trouble adjusting. Our horses react badly to this and it can be a safety issue. We would prefer to err on the side of caution and limit the risk these people pose to themselves, our horses, and other guests. We regret that this makes some guests unhappy at times.

A note on wrangling! Few genuine cowboys would even consider leading guest rides. Rather than employing wannabe cowboys we choose to emphasize traits like respect (for both horses and riders), sociability, intelligence, and equestrian ability. As a result most of our wranglers are college graduate women and experienced riders who are well informed about the area, the flora and the fauna. They are friendly and patient with guests and horses alike. In addition to our top notch wrangling crew the Fox family, Mel, Hadley, Richard and Bayard are proud to guide rides personally almost every day.

Been to Bitterroot Ranch? Share your experiences!