“It was fine” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Cody
Peosta, Iowa
“It was fine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We stayed bc the reviews were good, I was surprised that it was sooooo old. Very outdated, BUT the staff was very friendly, the animals were cool for my kids, there in NO Hot Tub but a Luke warm pool, we thought there was a hot tube. The room & hole place smelled, finally figured out it was stale smoke from when they used to some in there. Breakfast was the best we had on the trip (which isn't that fantastic) but there was seating, and fresh fruit, hot chocolate, milk, juice, oatmeal packets, bagels & muffins & we didn't have to wait for it. When my son spilled his hot coco the attendant cleaned it up right away & was very nice about it. It was clean but old BUT it was the BEST nights rest we had on our entire trip. Would I stay again no, no hot tub, the Americinn right across form parking lot is the sister to that motel we were told and they do have a hot tub and newer, the smoke smell was probably the worst part.

Room Tip: there is no elevator or cart so if you have lots of stuff ask for a 1st floor room!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Fredericksburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

This was our only real option after a long day at Yellowstone during a cross country road trip. We were a little skeptical given the reviews but it wasn't a bad experience. The staff was mostly friendly, the room was clean and comfortable. We didn't have to ask for a mini fridge or iron - they were already there. It did have a chocolate scent to it which was strange - not like a chocolate bar but like if you've ever smelled something that was supposed to be chocolate scented like lip balm - not sure if it was a cleaning product they used or a room spray or what - it was only in our room but as soon as you opened the door it was unmistakable.
The breakfast was good - the biscuits appeared to be pillsbury pop-a-can but the gravy was stellar and made up for it. Waffles were premade and bland but there was cereal and other cold options. I meant to grab a cinnamon muffin that looked super yummy but forgot so can't comment on taste or freshness of their pastry selection. I'd rather have no eggs/potatoes/meat than bad ones (which we had at several other hotels) so can't really complain there.
The pool was *COLD* - supposedly opened at 6am and we were there a little before 9 I believe so definitely should've been warm by then if it were heated...maybe the sun coming through the windows warms it by evening...the pool room itself was warm which was good.
The animals all over the lobby...our girls thought they were pretty great... I'm not sure how I feel about them ethically... Definitely different.
Oh - there was a stuffed lion on one of the beds when we got there - we didn't turn on the bedroom lights as it was the middle of the night when we checked in and the kids were already sleeping - I didn't think much of it but that maybe it was a nice touch if they knew you had kids they threw in a stuffed animal so let my six year old sleep with it - come to find out the next morning there was a tag around its neck that said 'please don't take me home - my friends and I are for sale at the front desk' - ew. Guess if we had checked in during the day I would've known better...

• Stayed July 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Only stayed because we were desperate for a room; really surprised the reviews I looked at had not mentioned the stuffed elephant head, rhino and entire lion family including cubs in the lobby, as well as a variety of gazelles. It made our family very uncomfortable and I wondered if it was legal. esp the rhino and the elephant with its enormous tusks. I thought ivory was illegal and that rhinos are endangered!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We had a lovely,clean King Room that had everything in it you could wish for. The Reception area was interesting with an African wildlife theme and the receptionist was extremely helpful. It is very well positioned, near to the Rodeo, the Buffalo Bill Museum, the Dan Miller Country music show and the gunfight at the Irma Hotel. The guest laundry facilities proved to be very economic and useful. Internet access and speeds were very good. I only wish the hotel had a lift so lifting cases upstairs could be avoided.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room if you have heavy cases
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Billings, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

The hotel was very clean and the pricing was affordable. The décor is neat and the staff was very nice and professional. The free breakfast was good. The indoor pool was a cold but it was still fun. I would recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

Very clean room. It even smelled nice. Breakfast was small without a lot of selections. The lobby had real, stuffed safari animals so that was kind of cool. My daughter left something in the room and when I called about it, the staff was very friendly and helpful. Nice stay overall.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We were just looking for a clean room at a good rate. The Kings Inn was just that. We weren't looking for any frills for one night in Cody. The rate was very good compared to most in the area. The staff were helpful when we needed anything. It's in a good location with lots of restaurants around and close to the rodeo. The drive into town was just minutes. Very satisfied!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Kings Inn Cody Hotel? Share your experiences!