“The room was amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Cody
London England
“The room was amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

We stayed in the Irma hotel for 4 nights in the Colonel Cody room. When we opened the door and saw the inside of the room it was like stepping back in time.
The decor and furniture was amazing, we will definately be returning and would recommend it to our friends and family.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

Stayed at the Irma in early Sept. in route from Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone. Our room was very clean and very large. Had 2 beds, large table with 4 chairs, desk, recliner, 2 sinks (one in bathroom and one on outside).Ate breakfast in the restaurant ; buffet had good variety and food was tasty. Enjoyed walking around the downstairs and outside hotel - plenty of history. We like the full experience of staying in places that are a part of what our vacation is about. also liked walking around town.

• Liked — historical aspect
  • Disliked — no elevator
  • Stayed September 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
edinburgh,scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

Wanted to stay at Irma hotel because of the Buffalo Bill connection and it is certainly all Buffalo Bill - from the western shoot out on the porch . . Wild Bill Hickock Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday etc.

I dont know if Wyatt and Doc ever got that far from Tombstone, Arizona but the show was full of enthusiasm from the amateur players and the spectators got involved too!

Booked historical room and got this with old style furniture and plumbing (but all new and functional - especially the chain pulled toilet!

Food in the restaurant was good for dinner but a little average on the buffet breakfast.

Pricy but I wanted the historical content but the people on reception could have been more friendly. Some waitresses come from Eastern Europe and their english is not too good.

Stayed once unlikely to do so again.

• Liked — historical content
  • Disliked — poor service attitude of staff
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

Hotel restaurant smelled musty. Bathroom had either 1.) black grout or 2.) mold was growing on the grout. We had the two room suite in the old section of the hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Mold
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

Greetings Folks,

Do NOT stay at the Irma - it is a disgusting dump run by unprofessional yokels.

The Short of It:

Room was noisy - near the kitchen. It was an interior room w/ a window that had a cement wall two feet away - not sure how this could possibly meet the fire codes.

NOTE: the rooms use old locks and keys and NOT key cards. The key you are given has your ROOM NUMBER ON it. There is no notation that the key should not be copied. Incredible lack of security. Also exterior doors are NOT locked at any time of the night.

The hallways and room have a very foul order, very rundown.

Additionally, I do not recommend the restaurant - if they clean the restaurant as well as they clean the rooms then you want nothing to do w/ that.

The Long of It:

I arrived to check in and was told they had my reservation ( I booked through their website!) but had not yet assigned me a room and did not have the type of room available that I had paid for. The woman was a 20 something waitress from the adjacent restaurant that kept telling me this wasn't her job. I asked for a manager and a woman eventually made her way to the counter and suddenly a room was available. Okay - fine.

We get to the room and it did not have an alarm clock or clock radio so I went back down to the front desk to ask for one - I was told they only provide a wake up call . . . This is where the story gets good!

I awoke mid morning the following day - the wake up call was supposed to be at the crack of dawn. I immediately reached for the phone w/ the intention of lecturing whoever answered. What I found was that the phone did NOT HAVE a wire connecting it to the wall !!!!!

I then picked up the phone and went to the front desk where another employee told me she tried to call my room a few times and I didn't answer - yeah - can't imagine why!

I asked to speak to a manager and was told there wasn't one. I then explained the problems I had at check in and expressed frustration w/ my experience. She then asked if I would like to a speak to a manager - even though she had told me only a minute before that no manager was available. Lied right to my face.

The haggard manager was dressed like a 19th century cowboy. I explained the situation and he laughed - he laughed - and then offered an apology. I turned to walk away and then offered him a piece of advice that in the future when he says he is sorry he do it w/ a straight face and walked away. As I was walking away the guy then said he had heard this *naughty words omitted* before and walked into the restaurant muttering things TripAdvisor would not let me post lol classy.

Great professionalism and customer service.

Clearly I will not be darkening their doorstep again. I recommend that you do not either.

Best of luck.

• Liked — looked good in the rear view mirror
  • Disliked — no security, no customer service or professionalism
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2007

Whilst there’s no doubt that this hotel has a lot going for it with its location, background and ambience, there is a need for it to drop the sense of ‘take it or leave it’
We’d booked well in advance and arrived tired, needing help with the baggage. There isn’t a lift and the young lady on reception just shrugged when I asked for help but eventually came round with some bad grace. Not good if your registered handicapped – or a customer.
The fact that we made a dinner reservation made no sense as we got the standard command – “wait there” at the bar “there’s a 20 minute wait” We pointed out that we’d reserved and was on time. They didn’t seem to grasp this concept, only that it was a standard to queue and were put off and huffy when we declined to do so. It was only after we were insistent that we got a table and then it was black looks all round. After that, the service was sloppy and we got the impression that “we know we are popular so live with it” Then they forgot to bill us for the dinner.
They need to realise that there are other hotels that are just as good and a lot cheaper. Plus they are not a good advert for what is usually good American hotel hospitality.

• Liked — Comfortable & spacious
  • Disliked — Attitude
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

My wife and I recently stayed one night at the Irma on our way to Yellowstone. One night was more than enough. The lady that checked us in could have cared less if we stayed there or not. We stayed in the regular section of the hotel to save a few bucks so we didn't get to see the historic section. The room was just a place to sleep, nothing special. It was borderline clean with old and beatup furnishings. Keep in mind that we were going to Yellowstone to camp for a week so we were not expecting the Ritz Carlton. Once we got past the smell of oil from a deep fryer somewhere, we got a decent sleep. When we went to take a shower at 7:00am, there was no hot water. I went down to the front desk to ask about the hot water and was told by what appeared to be the maintenance guy that they had to make a repair last night and they forgot to turn the hot water back on. No apology, nothing. I then asked about the location and times for church services. He had no idea where the Catholic church was or times. No effort was made to help me out. I asked if there was someone else that could help me, he replied " No, I don't think so". My guess is that this guy has lived there all his life and he couldn't or wouldn't help me. Against my better judgement, we eat brekfast in the bar which is pretty cool. Again, the waitstaff was unfriendly and could have cared less. Here's an idea for the owners of the Irma. Update your hotel to justify what you charge and not just ride along on the history of the hotel and bar. Eventually it's going to catch up to you. Also, get some employees who actually want to be there and have some fun with the place. My advice to other travellers is to visit the bar, take some pictures of the outside and stay somewhere else.

• Liked — The antique bar
  • Disliked — Just about everything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Buffalo Bill's Irma Hotel? Share your experiences!