“Great Charm” 3 of 5 stars

1192 Sheridan Ave., Cody, WY 82414   |
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Cody
“Great Charm”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We booked here because of the history of the hotel. We only stayed one night as we were headed to Yellowstone and this was simply a stopping point before the park. The hotel is very cool and the history behind it is neat. It is not fancy by any means but we knew that going in. It is a touristy area so the rates are high but again, we knew that beforehand. The check-in guy was very blunt almost to the point of being rude, sort of like we were an inconvenience for him. Everyone else was friendly. We ate at the restaurant in the hotel and watched the gunfighters that evening. We did walk around the downtown area a little but soon headed back to settle in for the night. The rooms are clean and comfortable which is all we expected. We would stay again if in the area if there wasn't anything cheaper available nearby.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
West Lafayette, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

This hotel was very clean but because all of the furnishings in our historic room were antiques, it smelled old and musty. We actually had to cut our stay short due to my son's allergies. He couldn't handle the musty smell. The decor was lovely - like walking back in time to the 1800's but with all the amenities that you need. The price was reasonable for the area too. The lady at the front desk when we checked in wasn't very friendly, but the other employees seemed nice.

• Stayed July 2014
South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I felt like I was walking onto the set of an old western movie. The Irma opened in 1902, and the rooms still reflect that period of history. Loved it here. Period furniture, a small sitting area with Victorian loveseat and small steam radiator (but there is modern heat and A/C), floor to ceiling windows, transoms over the doors, pitcher and bowl in the bedroom, and old fashion toilet with high water tank that flushes by pulling a string. Very clean, in excellent repair and upkeep. Convenient to all attractions and both the trolley and the bus to the rodeo stop at the end of the porch. Restaurant downstairs serves good, reasonably priced food, but as noted in several other reviews, service is slow to non-existent. If you choose to stay here, be aware there is no cell phone service and only spotty internet, no elevator, no "extras", and parking is limited and in the public parking lot down the street (although they will allow you to park in front of the hotel to load and unload). And it is expensive - about twice what we normally pay. But it has character and history. In its day, the Irma must have been the ultimate in accommodations. The best of the old west!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ellensburg, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My girls and I went on a road trip and this was one of all of our favorite hotels. The girls thought the rooms were so fun and we just had a "standard" room. They also thought it was real cool to have a "real" key for the door. The room was quiet even with music going downstairs. The gun fight is a bit corny, but really adds to the whole atmosphere of the hotel. Cody was also a wonderful little town to walk around in. I would definitely recommend this hotel to people. In fact, we just got home and I already have. :)

Room Tip: Great price for a neat hotel experience.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Merritt Island, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We arrived around 5:30 and drove around looking for a parking spot for quite some time! Every body in town was there waiting for the "street shoot out". We finally got parked and squeezed into a really small lobby and got checked in. The room was much bigger than we anticipated and was well appointed. We had a corner room with one side facing the main street (noise wasn't too bad). In the hallways we came across antique items that add to the historic factor. We ran downstairs to catch the shoot out which was kinda corny but what can you expect. We then sat at the famous wood bar (not used as a cocktail bar these days) and enjoyed a buffet dinner in the restaurant which was very good ... although the service was horrible. Having been in the hospitality business before I tend to give servers a lot of slack especially when the restaurant was as chaotic as it was. I think everyone that was outside watching the shootout came in for dinner just like we did. But, we finally got our cocktails after we finished our meals! We then drove to the Cody Nite Rodeo which was awesome! We had the breakfast buffet the next morning and the service was fine ... not as chaotic. Overall we had a very nice stay and would come again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I have made many visits to the Irma Hotel and this is by far the worst visit I have had. On the first morning of my latest visit I decided to enjoy a cup of coffee while sitting at the fantastic cherry wood bar. While drinking my coffee I overheard a red haired woman talking to the man sitting next to her about her employees. I can only assume this woman is in charge of the housekeepers since she had a clipboard and was wearing scrubs which in my opinion makes them look sloppy and unkempt. What I overheard was not really what I have the issue with but I do feel the dining room is an inappropriate place to have such discussions especially when patrons of the hotel can clearly hear everything. Later that day when heading out to visit some of the nearby shops, I witnessed this same woman on the porch smoking and having the same conversation from the morning with a couple of woman. Upon returning from visiting the shops this same woman was conversing with a couple who were asking look at some of the rooms in the historic section. She replied that there really is no reason to go upstairs because there is nothing to see except closed doors. I know this is untrue because I was staying on that floor and witnessed the housekeepers allowing people to view which ever room they were cleaning at the time. I wish I could say perhaps she was having a bad day but I passed this woman in the halls many times during my stay and she rarely smiled. She seemed to be bothered that there were people walking through the halls as she vacuumed. While this woman was only one employee, I also witnessed some very unprofessionalism and alarming behavior from the other staff. While heading out for a late evening stroll I walked past a few waitresses smoking what smelled to me like marijuana. They were also talking about how many ounces they were going to score later. My room overlooked the back alley which seemed to always be filled with employees on a smoke break. After what I smelled on the porch I feel it is safe to assume that not everyone was smoking tobacco cigarettes. I highly recommend this place take part in random drug testing.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Jackie R, Director of Sales at Buffalo Bill's Irma Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for your comments. We are very sorry that you had to experience this behavior from our employees. Please be assured that we are actively working on the solution to this problem. We hope you will come back, give us another try, and let us know how we are doing.

Thank you again for choosing The Irma
Battle Creek Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who enjoys the ambiance of an historic property. The room was huge, bathroom very modern and all of it was comfortable and clean. We had a corner room with windows at the front of the building and despite being on the main street it was very quiet. Everything you might want - Harley Store, coffee shops, restaurants, art galleries, were within walking distance. Of course every evening in the summer there is a gun fight in front of the building. Lots of fun to watch.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Buffalo Bill's Irma Hotel? Share your experiences!