“Really great place! ” 5 of 5 stars

574 Stagecoach Trail, Yellowstone Park Highway, Cody, WY 82414   |
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Cody
“Really great place! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

My family and I had spent the day at Yellowstone and really needed an affordable nice place. This was exactly that. Our room was very clean and homey. We just loved the cabins and decorations. The service was really great! And we even got to see deer grazing right out front. It's a little out of the way but definitely worth it!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed two nights. The place was at full occupancy but I would have never guessed. Our room was quiet even though we had a family right next door. Absolutely no road noise.

Sad to say the smoke from the western fires limited our views but it was still spectacular.

Peggy Jo, the owner, is a treasure, probably the most pleasant and upbeat person we encountered on the entire trip. She was exceptionally accommodating to our requests. I wouldn't believe anyone saying different.

Room Tip: The two rooms at the north end have an unobstructed view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
schmalzie, Owner at Schmalz's Red Pole Ranch and Motel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Her name is PATTY Jo, and I too know what a TREASURE she is-I am married to her!!
Sure wish we could have gotten that OTHER STAR from you folks-Patty works so hard for it! The smoke was coming from Canada (brought here by the natural wind currents from the North), and kind've "out of our control", and the remoteness (really isn't that remote-less than a half mile off the Yellowstone Park Hwy and 8 miles from the Rodeo Grounds and Cody's outskirts, 35 miles from Yellowstone) is what most people BRAG about!
So glad to have you folks and hope you can come again!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My husband and I went on our honeymoon to Yellowstone National Park. We stayed at this quiet, clean motel for two nights and it was perfect! Motel is located between Yellowstone and the beautiful town of Cody, Wyoming. We stopped at the Buffalo Bill dam on the way to Cody and it was amazing. great trip! We highly recommend this motel, beautiful views, gorgeous herds of deer, horses etc.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
JEFFERSON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We have visited Cody many times in the past but always chose to stay in town. On this trip, we decided to try the Red Pole Ranch. We checked in at 2 PM and made a brief stop at our cabin before heading into Cody. The room was nicely appointed. The beds were inviting, including a welcoming stuffed moose on each one. There was a microwave and mini fridge available, as well as a coffee pot. We spent the rest of the day in town and returned after dinner. The area is so beautiful! It was nice to sit outside and enjoy the view and the quiet! My husband was at first a bit dismayed that we were not right in Cody. But, when he realized that the trip back out here from town really wasn't that far and that we were able to enjoy a comfortable bed and restful night's sleep, it was well worth the drive. The rodeo is also on this side of Cody, so it even more convenient. There are plenty of places to enjoy right in town but for a true Wyoming experience I would definitely recommend the Red Pole Ranch when staying in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
schmalzie, Owner at Schmalz's Red Pole Ranch and Motel, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Sure wish we could have gotten that OTHER Star from you folks-maybe you'll come back and we can earn it next time!?
Thanks for coming!
Red Lodge, Montana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We are unable to rate the property, just our experience when we called wanting more information and wanting to book a room.

The woman who picked up said she was the owner, was very short and ill tempered with me. I tried to be polite and ask my question about the rooms, but was interrupted by her outburst about a travel agent that had called earlier with the same question (yes, that was our agent, but she hadn't answered his question and hung up on him, so I was forced to call myself), in the end I just tried to be extra polite but the level of rudeness was unbelievable, and our called ended with her barking the answer then hanging up on me. Maybe she was having a bad day?

It's a shame, because the location seems like a super place, but I could never go there and meet the person who displays that nasty attitude at her work place.

Basically- 1 star for making the place un-bookable due to bad attitude.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
I am not sure just WHO this person was calling, or WHO she ended up on the phone with, but it sure wasn't anyone around our ranch! We have yet to find ANYONE who had that kind of answer from an "owner" at our place!? If this person was INSISTENT that she be allowed to bring a Pet along-well, I could see Patty Jo telling her no in no uncertain terms-because of a few bad experiences with guests and their pets in the past (that's why we don't allow them anymore), but she sure wouldn't Yell at her or hang up angrily! Patty is a very caring and sensitive person (she has a disability, but doesn't let it slow her down at all), and takes the best care of all of our guests! I can't believe that we received a Single Star from someone who never even Stayed Here!?
Springfield, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We have been on the road for about 12 days. This was one of our favorite overnight stops. We had been touring The Grand Tetons and Yellowstone and then drove down to Cody. The cabins were nicely done and the beds are wonderful!!! We opened our windows during the night and the room felt wonderful! The shower is great and the hot water is good. There is internet access, a fridge, microwave, and toaster. Very well supplied! You park right at your room and checking in is very easy and quick. We were only about 10 miles outside of Cody so it was very convenient but away from all the "noise" of Cody.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
old river ,texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

my family and I have been staying at the red pole ranch every summer for years, Don and Patty jo the owners are two of the finest people you will ever meet. they go above and beyond to make your stay the most comfortable and memorable and are at your beck and call 24/7. we had some friends with us one year and their water pump on their truck busted and Patty Jo made 1 phone call to Cody and told us where the mechanic shop was and when we got there it was jammed packed full of vehicles to be worked on and they took us right in and made my friends vehicle priority and it was fixed and back on the road within a hour and a half. you just cant beat that kind of service. Patty Jo and Don know everyone up there and they have great friends that can help you in just about any emergency that might pop up. their place has million dollar views and very quiet ,great staff and they can set you up with any activity that you and your family wants to do.we have always been treated like family there and I read some of the negative stories that some people write in on them and im here to tell you that its not true. I have seen these folks bend over backwards for their customers and do thing for people that I have never seen owners even think about doing for anyone. I recommend the red pole ranch to anyone who wants to get their peace of mind back and relax in a great atmosphere surrounded by great views and great people

Room Tip: all of their rooms are fit for a king in comfort
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Schmalz's Red Pole Ranch and Motel? Share your experiences!