“Fun Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Cheyenne
Estes Park, Colorado
“Fun Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Yes, it's an old hotel but with that given, it has charm, comfort, cleanliness and great access to a interesting downtown. The prices are very reasonable - we stayed in a large suite, comfortable living room with 2 queen beds in a separate space for $142 per night. The staff was efficient, friendly and helpful

The amenities are spare such as one bar of soap and a small shampoo. Our room was over the main road and across from the railroad station and was noisy - and it really was very noisy. The traffic noise was like we had the windows open but later in the evening it calmed down. We did sleep with the window air conditioner on so that drowned out the street noise.

I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The hotel is about what you expect when you see the word, "Historic" in it's name. I personally love these types of hotels. One of my favorites, Hotel Laguna, was the first hotel in that area. The first thing you notice is that the room is huge. Things are about as well kept as they can be for a place that old. The toilet tank lid didn't fit right, the tile in the bathroom was cracked in spots, the water was cold then hot, then cold again. The parking was non-existent which is the only thing I would have changed. That's the "downside" but only if you are expecting the Ritz. Because the rooms are big, I would definitely recommend the hotel for children who are a bit rambunctious. There was reliable Wi-Fi, a great television, light cancelling curtains, a great cooler/heater, a big bathroom, the staff was awesome and considerate, the location was easy to find. For me personally, I love the "old" feel, the history of things so I was thrilled that "Historic" wasn't just to draw people but that it actually was quite old. If that's not your thing, you wouldn't want to stay here. It's a great central place for business meetings, on your own, with friends or families. OH! I forgot, the beds were HUGE and very clean.

Room Tip: Possibly a top floor room would be the quietest because we did hear the folks above us walking aroun...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

The Plains Hotel opened a new bar called the Wigwam 2 as an homage to the original Wigwam Bar that was a part of the old hotel.

It is on the corner originally a coffee shop.

It's Cheyenne Frontier Days and the place has been open two days.

The bar isn't anything like the original, but fun for us old timers to frequent.

One of the CFD specials is the BLT Bloody Mary for $2 during this week. Also they have the special Cowboy Mimosa - orange juice and Coors!

I had the house cheeseburger, quite a good deal for $8.

I'll be back later in the week.

Stayed July 2014
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I hate to give anyplace a poor rating; I only do it when I really think other travelers need to know how substandard a place is. I was here on business for a week (read my other, very positive review of Poor Richard's), and was looking forward to staying in an independent historic hotel with lots of local character. The room I was put in my first night was tiny, in a back corner of the hotel's third floor, with one window that looked out on a shabby, dark alley. When I came back after dinner to go to sleep it had a faint odor of dirty feet. When I woke up the next morning, I was very allergic and stuffed up, clearly a result of breathing fungus-infected air. When I checked out for a day to drive to Casper, I asked the staff to make sure my room for the remainder of my stay was a different room and one that is reached by some natural light. The staff person commented that she couldn't understand why I had been given that room because they usually only give those rooms to contractors who like it dark all day so they can sleep. My last two nights in a different, larger room have been much better, but still not up to my relatively easy standards. This room smelled like cigar smoke, which did not bother me too much because I like to savor a cigar myself every once in a while, but most guests would be bothered, I think. There is no safe, secure, parking, and the parking lot they have is a dirt lot three blocks away adjacent to the Union Pacific railroad tracks. The day I arrived, it was flooded as a result of one of the area's not-so-uncommon summer hail storms. Street parking close to the hotel in the evening is relatively easy to find, but you must then re-park your car before 10 AM if you're not going to drive it to your destination. One of my female business colleagues was sitting in her room one evening not fully clothed--having inadvertently forgotten to throw the security lock on her room door--when a male guest to whom the hotel had accidentally double-let the room burst in. She complained, and the staff member at the desk thought the situation was humerous. Just this morning, it happened to her again, although this time the security lock was fastened so the new guest did not succeed in opening the door. Another colleague, a male, came back to his room after a full day of work to find the room door open due to a faulty door lock. Again, folks, I like places with local flavor and personality and am not a particularly finicky hotel user, but this place just doesn't cut it anymore.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here (because it really does have some character and is convenient to downtown...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Bitterly disappointed after staying in so many hotels over a 3 week period from tents, log cabins, basic comfort hotels and higher end lodgings - I thought I had managed my expectations by reading previous reviews but never thought it would be so bad.

1. We are a mature couple - hotel had booked us in 2 separate rooms and charged us a higher price than that confirmed in advance.
2. On arrival - when we asked about parking we were told either 2 blocks away or on the street, no mention of use of private parking at other premises as flagged by other reviewers
3. Only one unwrapped polystyrene cup for 2 people for coffee, no tea available
4. Couldn't fatham how to work shower that was decades old - it took staff about 20 mins to sort by comparing with other rooms.
5. Shower came away from wall - potential health and safety hazard - see photo
6. Wood shavings on carpet - seemed like room had not been cleaned
7. Room too dark to really comment on cleanliness and didn't really want to inspect further - couldn't distinguish between cleanliness and corroded bathroom furniture e.g. stains round taps etc

8. Had to move coffee machine from top of microwave then crawl on floor to plug in behind furniture .
9. Dirty looking towels - threadbare - see photo
10. Couldn't open old rotten window - see photo.
11. Put at the back of the hotel in an old dingy room whilst hotel was not full - similar story to other reviewers
12. The overall experience made us itch all night.
13. None of my complaints can be excused by the renovation work that is being carried out at the hotel.

On a positive note, the lobby is remarkable and the staff are great. There was no manager available to deal with my complaints so the receptionist corrected the pricing errors at checkout and gave a standard discount for my complaints.

Room Tip: A room in another hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Cranbury, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Historic sums it up. The rooms are old, antiquated, TV service is poor, internet is poor. The only redeeming quality to the establishment is the restaurant and bar on property, which is great. The overall lobby is pleasant although the staff seemed inexperienced and not well versed in greeting travelers. The room was a thinly veiled attempt at being charming but was poor. The bathroom had multiple cracks in the ceramic (sink, tub, toilet), stains in the sink, the bed linens were thin. There was virtually no desk space to work. Ultimately it's not a corporate hotel in any fashion. I'm glad I experienced it and the location is wonderful, but I will not return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Plain City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

First of all, I am sure this is one of the better hotels in Cheyenne, but the pickings are slim. Secondly, with the name "Historic" don't expect a luxury hotel. However, I liked this place! It has a lot of historic charm, and I don't know what everyone is talking about as far as the cold water goes, we never had a problem. It is located in a central area and is close to shopping and restaurants. Also, the hotel is allegedly haunted on the 4th floor, so I would request a 4th floor room and keep my eyes opened!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
plainshotel, Sales and Catering Admin at The Historic Plains Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Good Morning Julia,

Thank you very much for your fantastic input! We greatly appreciate any and all comments visitors leave for us! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Please do come back and stay with us again!

Thanks so much,
The Management and Staff of The Historic Plains Hotel

Been to The Historic Plains Hotel? Share your experiences!