“Huge!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Cheyenne
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
“Huge!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed here for a good while and the only bad news was one night there was a problem with the water pipe and the water ran dirty for a while but was quickly taken care of. The rooms were monstrous and very clean. The bathroom was huge and the shower head was very nice. It was very nice and the staff was friendly. Pet friendly! and your own door to the outside, right by grass for your pet.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Toledo, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Worst hotel I have ever stayed at. Bugs in towels, dead bugs on the floor, moldy shower curtain, uncomfortable beds and many more issues. The service was awful and the desk person was terrible. Front half of hotel was pitch dark and shady characters surrounding hotel. Wish we wouldn't have booked it online without checking first.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

After reading the previous reviews, we were reluctant to reserve a room; it was late in the evening so my husband asked to check the room before we agreed to stay. We found the staff to be very friendly! The room was large and for an economy hotel, the Hitching Post was perfect. The room was clean and equipped with a fridge and a microwave. The shower was great with plenty of water pressure. Overall, an enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you purchase. Good restaurants nearby!
Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

This old place has recently had a face life new stucko and lighting on building. Parking lot could use more lighting and more attention. Rooms very clean and spacious. Could use some major work to the front on the property and some better signage. Have been in much worse at higher prices. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
Lansing, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

To start with I was moving my girlfriend cross country and this trip was being done with her dog. We had stopped at a few towns and all of the hotels were booked solid because of the Sturgis bike festival, so by the time we got to Cheyenne it was already around 3am in the morning. We stopped at the hotels right off the highway and they were also completely booked but told us that the Hitching Post Inn had just reopened and were pet friendly with a few empty rooms still.

First of all the other reviews are spot on, this place looks EXTRA shady and is difficult to see from the road. My girlfriend didn't even want to stay in the car by herself because the parking lot was almost pitch black and there were random people walking all over the place, at 3am. So I pull up right to the front door which has a crappy porch light and get out to see if we can get a room.

I walk in and there are 3 people sitting in the breakfast nook talking, I stand at the front counter for a minute and finally the younger guy gets up and walks over to help me. I explain I need a dog friendly room for the remainder of the night and answer all the usual questions. I ask if there is any sort of discount since we keep the dog crated at all times when indoors, he didn't really understand at first but finally realized what I meant and said no. Bummer, some places do. He runs my credit card and as he's handing me the room key realizes he forgot to add the pet fee to the bill and he isn't sure if he can run my card again. I say that's no problem I'll just pay it with cash because I just want to get settled and get a few hours of sleep before we have to hit the road again. He was either a bit slow or on some sort of drugs, it took him forever to do the simplest things and he forgot quite a few details during the process.

We were going to take the dog up first but there was some random guy walking around the parking lot with his two hunting dogs off leash so we decided to wait until he was gone and just took our bags up first. We get to the door, I slide the card, the light goes green on the lock, I turn the handle and pull, *clunk*... nothing. That's weird. Slide the card again, light goes green, turn the handle and pull, *clunk*... almost like the dead bolt is locked or something. I do this a few more times before finally giving up and making my way back to the front desk area. The same group of people are in the breakfast nook so I explain that the door won't open. This time the lady speaks up and explains that the contractor they hired for the recent remodel is an idiot and installed some of the door handles upside down so you have to lift UP to open the door. I've opened a few doors in my day and I'd say 99% of them opened whether you lifted/twisted the handle up or down, but whatever. So I go back up to find the girlfriend sprawled out on the floor from exhaustion, yea it's turning into one of those nights (it's around 3:30am now). I slide the card, light goes green, I turn the handle UP and wouldn't you know it the door opens, weird, but whatever. So we go in, toss our bags on the bed, set up the dogs crate and head back down to the parking lot. On our way out the other guy with the dogs off leash was heading back into his room, so we get the dog out of the car and walk him around an adjacent parking lot that is actually lit up so he can stretch his legs and go to the bathroom, once he's done we head up to the room and put him into the crate in the corner of the room. This is when the hitching post inn really starts to shine! I go into the bathroom and there is a condom wrapper and some other detritus in the trash. There is no toilet paper so I open the cabinet under the sink to find some but instead find some tampons and a couple bra pads, lovely. Clearly this room had not been cleaned (at least not thoroughly) since the last people stayed here. I finish up and walk back into the main room where my girlfriend points out a stain on the carpet in front of the bed, probably from a pet at some point. It does not look fresh and appears to have been cleaned at some point previously so I decide it's not worth walking all the way back down to the front desk to complain about, it's now around 4am or later. So we go to bed.

We wake up at 9am, take quick showers, and go downstairs to take advantage of the continental breakfast. The first thing I noticed is that the door isn't latched... odd. Come to find out the doors hinges are so loose that in order to get it to latch properly you need to physically lift up on the whole door so it latches into place. The only reason I noticed this was because my hands were full and I leaned against the door while trying to push the handle. Nice to know that someone would have just had to pull the door open while we were sleeping, I guess they should have shopped around a little more for a better contractor! We get to the breakfast nook and it's basically empty, there's plenty of people there but practically no food. Great. So we get a couple glasses of orange juice and sit down for a second to see if something is coming out. Finally the lady from the night before comes out with a tray of pastries, which was basically gone before everyone had a chance to get one. I think they had some cereal but were missing key elements to eat it, like a bowl, or spoons, something like that. So we go back upstairs, pack our bags up and load them into the car, go get the dog and pack up his crate, load them into the car too, and proceed to check out and leave. Although before hitting the road I go back in to get some ice for our cooler and overhear one employee yelling at the guy who cleans the rooms, apparently he barged in on a lady in another room and she was hysterical about it. As I'm walking past he engages me in a little chit chat and it's quite clear he's under the influence of something, his speech was slurred and his eyes were pretty glazed over, so I'm not surprised he ignored the do not disturb sign the lady had on her door.

Oh but it gets better, of course a generally crappy stay couldn't be the end for this little gem of a hotel.

So we get home and settle in, a couple weeks later I'm checking my credit card statement and notice it's a bit higher than it should be. So I start tracking down my charges and realize they charged me twice only the second charge is considerably higher. So I call them to see what the charge was for, already with a sinking feeling in my stomach as I remember that stupid stain that I didn't think much of because I just wanted to sleep so badly! I get an underling on the phone that can't answer any questions so she takes my name and number and says she'll have a manager call me back. Later the next day I get a call from the manager who explains the charge was for a clean-up they had to perform because our dog urinated on the floor, which is simply not true. He's close to 2 years old and has NEVER peed indoors let alone in his crate, this was the 3rd hotel we stayed at on this trip and he had yet to pee in any other room or the car, on top of the fact we were there the whole time and he never peed in the room lol. To make it even better she claims that not only did he pee in the room but it was a massive puddle of BLOODY urine. I'm pretty sure if he was peeing blood we would have noticed it and this would not have been the first/only instance of it on our 4 day road trip. The icing on the cake is the location in which she claims the urine was located, in between the two beds (not even where the old stain was located) directly where I was stepping to get in and out. Not only was his crate in the far corner of the room behind the desk I'm pretty sure I would have noticed stepping into a giant puddle of bloody urine between the time I got out of bed and the time I unplugged my cell phone from the night stand (directly behind where the supposed puddle would have been) before leaving to check out. Furthermore the dog was never between the beds, we walked him straight across the room into his crate before bed and straight across the room and out the door when we left.

I go round and round with the manager lady who is quite rude and refuses to accept the fact that our dog did not urinate on the carpet. I'm not sure if she was actively trying to rip me off, or if something else happened AFTER we were done with the room and they just decided to blame it on us. Realistically there was A LOT of traffic through those hotels at that time period and most of the people we bumped into during our stay there were quite rowdy and obviously inebriated. For all I know some drunk biker somehow got into the room because the doors latch didn't work properly and pissed on the floor. She also tried to claim that we never even told them we had a dog in the first place, and never paid the pet fee. But after I explain how her night shift worker forgot to add it to the bill so I paid in cash for that portion I think she remembered since she was sitting 20 feet away when it happened. What I find more interesting is how she can accuse our dog of peeing on the floor when there is apparently no record of us having a dog there in the first place?!?!???!?? SCAM!

So on top of operating a generally poor hotel they will try to rip you off if you're not careful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Let's face it. The rooms needed a little updating ten years ago. At one time this was THE spot in Cheyenne and all the legislators stayed there (Wyoming has a citizens government so they are only in town a month or so).

The restaurant was great food, and the rooms were spacious and well cared for. It is near the train tracks but so are most of the hotels in town, and Cheyenne is after a UNion Pacific kinda town (go see the depot for some fun).

Then the fire. Ahh. This is now a run down, dive. It is sad to say, but only the back building is left, and there is speculation as to how the fire occurred. Move on people, trust the recent reviews. You will be glad you did.

A sad ending to a fabulous old school property.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed at the hitching post last month, it is a work in progress from the fire that was at that location a few years back. The rooms were huge and clean, the service was great, front desk was very polite. Overall the staff i had contact with were very helpful. I enjoyed my stay

• Stayed August 2012