“Friendly stopover” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Cheyenne
lancs,england
“Friendly stopover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Only stayed for one night since we were on a long road trip. Staff were very friendly and helpful- on asking front desk to call us a cab to take us downtown we were given a courtesy lift into town, getting good advice from driver on where to visit, eat etc. Got a good nights kip in a very quiet room and enjoyed a hummungous breakfast burrito! Would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MorganBilek, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cheyenne/I-80, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our staff made you feel welcome! We hope that you will stay with us again in the future if you come through Cheyenne - we would love to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I want to begin by saying that the people who work here are some of the nicest we've met on our trip - particularly in the restaurant attached to the motel. They are helpful, friendly, and very cheerful.

Now for the facility. The lobby is nice and spacious, however our room was awful. I don't know if it is representative of all the rooms or we were just unlucky but the furnishings were shabby and dated, the bed linens pilled and a little rough, there was mildew on the grout in the bathroom, and - worst of all - we had absolutely no ventilation. The AC/Heat would run for about 5 minutes, then shut off and refuse to turn back on without being turned off and back on again. There is also no bathroom fan (although there is a vent). The windows are fixed so the result was, by morning, a overly stuffy not so sweet smelling room.

To be fair, we didn't give the Holiday Inn the opportunity to rectify the ventilation situation. By the time we realized we had a problem, we had already unpacked and changed into our pajamas, so didn't want to deal with maintenance or the possibility of changing rooms.

It wasn't all dismal, however - our room was quiet, the bed reasonably comfortable, and the wifi was strong - especially appreciated after our experience the previous night in another facility when I couldn't get online long enough to accomplish anything.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We are so happy to hear that our staff made you feel welcome during your recent stay with us. We do strive to achieve excellent guest service and are glad you were able to experience that. However, I am sorry that you were not happy with your room. We have been working hard to update our facility and will use your comments to help us. We hope that you will choose to stay with IHG again in the future and hope that you will stay with us again if your travels take you through Cheyenne.
Colorado Springs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

They have double beds in the rooms with two beds, which are not big enough for two people to sleep together in. The rooms had newer carpet, newer linen, comfortable pillows, and comfortable mattresses. The ceilings are still popcorn ceilings, so it is an older property, but they seem to have recently updated the rooms. It was a clean and comfortable stay and the room rates were very good. The room was very quiet which was nice. The one complaint was that we went down to eat breakfast at 10 am to discover that the restaurant closes at 10 am so we couldn't have breakfast before leaving. They re-open for dinner but I guess they do not serve lunch. Seems odd for a full service hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
MorganBilek, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cheyenne/I-80, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! We are continuously working to provide a comfortable, clean facility with great guest service and are very happy to hear that you experienced that during your stay. Thank you very much for sharing your comments. We value them and use them to better our facility and services. We hope to see you again in the future.
Jackson, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We were on a road trip. This was a great place to stop after a long day. It's handy and right off the highway. There was a mixup with our reservation so we didn't get the King room for $99. Instead we had a Queen. I didn't ask about the price, but it ended up being $130. Oh well! We were tired and the bed was super comfortable. We ate in the restaurant...very good! Then tumbled to bed. Had to get up early the next morning to head home! I would stay there again! Easy access to I-80!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We are so happy that you were comfortable and enjoyed your stay. I am sorry about the confusion with the reservation and the rate. Sometimes we are not able to guarantee a room type, however, I hope the Front Desk staff helped you with the rate if you mentioned it to them. It's great to hear that you would come back to see us. We'll see you next time you come through Cheyenne!
Hampton nh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We had flew into Denver and drove to Cheyenne for the trolley tour. After the tour checked price line and got a good rate. It was clean and quite. Did not use the restaurant but there was coffee free in the lobby Used the small indoor pool in the morning which was clean.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
MorganBilek, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cheyenne/I-80, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us. We are very glad that you felt welcome here at our hotel and that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again in the future!
Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed at this hotel years ago and it was moderate then, now it is barely adequate for what they are charging. I was treated terribly by the employees of the motel, barring my awesome breakfast waitress. I didn't get her name but she was middle aged with curly hair and was working Tuesday morning. The room was not at all what I had expected. The remote batteries were dead. The room was sort of clean but with no "ammenities". The tiled shower walls had mold. The a/c unit in my room woke me up every time it kicked on, which was frequent but short lived. The bed was tolerable. The smell was funky everywhere in the place. Here is the good news; breakfast was good and the hotel is easy to access with ample parking. For the price I paid, even with a corporate rate, I won't stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
MorganBilek, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cheyenne/I-80, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. However, I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with our hotel or staff. I have reviewed your comments with our Department Heads so we can improve our guest service, show our friendliness and make our guests feel welcome. I have also met with our Chief Engineer and Executive Housekeeper to ensure cleanliness and make sure our facility is in good working order. I have also passed your comments along to the Restaurant Manager to recognize her employee for excellent guest service. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our Restaurant, both breakfast and staff. We are consistenly doing what we can to improve our services and your comments will help us to do that. We hope that you will stay with Holiday Inn again and consider staying with us again here in Cheyenne.
Boise, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This was the worst hotel stay I've had in years. We reserved a non-smoking room. When we arrived, we were told the only rooms available were on the "Smoking" floor. Holiday Inn Cheyenne evidently hasn't noticed that walking through a hallway with enough smoke to cause Waffle House patrons to lodge EPA complaints doesn't impress non-smokers. The room was better only in terms of comparison to the hallway (where Backdraft 2 was evidently being filmed). The fan in the bathroom did not work, and the room was the nasal equivalent of licking an ashtray. Putting "non-smoking" rooms on a smoking floor is as effective as treating a bleeding injury by submersing it in a piranha tank.

The pool heater was broken (with no sign on the door informing guests of this fact!), so the temperature was about 70 degrees in the pool. That isn't quite glacial, but the only ones comfortable in that water temperature are penguins and polar bears.

None of the phone buttons (Front Desk, Restaurant, WakeUp Call) worked; I reached the restaurant by hitting the front desk button, and was frostily informed that I'd called the wrong number- and hung up on. TWICE. The first time, the person at least deigned to give me (the customer) the supposed Front Desk number- which reached no one. The second time, they hung up after barking at me that I'd dialed wrong. Getting a wake-up call was impossible, as apparently the wake-up call line "had been disconnected".

The number of smiles or congeniality from staff (I make it a point to interact with a number of staff wherever I stay) outside of the restaurant was ZERO, and unfriendliness seemed the rule of the establishment. The hotel is clearly understaffed, and all employees had a harried "don't bother me- I'm counting the seconds until I can LEAVE" attitude. The one bright spot was a maintenance guy riding the elevator, who was the only courteous staff member I met.

A man was wandering around in the parking lot, nearly got hit by people when he stumbled around in front of their car, and was clearly out of his mind on some substance-- but when he staggered into the hotel past the front desk and spent 20 minutes staring vacantly into the pool room, no one on the desk staff seemd to think this was an issue, even when notified of his behavior.

The breakfast "buffet" was mostly standard vat breakfast food, with the difference between, say, a Hampton Inn and here being you had to pay to eat this one, while the Hampton provides better-quality food for free. However, the waitresses in the restaurant during the day were pleasant, so kudos to them - but a resounding BOO to the night staff, who were as hospitable as cats in a dog pound.

You want a decent place to stay in Cheyenne? Try the Hampton. I've stayed there, and it's clean & nice. Or try anywhere else- I wouldn't send people I loathed to this hotel, let alone anyone I wanted to talk to afterward. Price savings or no, staying elsewhere is a better bet.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on a non-smoking floor. Better yet, stay elsewhere.