This was the worst hotel stay I've had in years. We reserved a non-smoking room. When we arrived, we were told the only rooms available were on the "Smoking" floor. Holiday Inn Cheyenne evidently hasn't noticed that walking through a hallway with enough smoke to cause Waffle House patrons to lodge EPA complaints doesn't impress non-smokers. The room was better only in terms of comparison to the hallway (where Backdraft 2 was evidently being filmed). The fan in the bathroom did not work, and the room was the nasal equivalent of licking an ashtray. Putting "non-smoking" rooms on a smoking floor is as effective as treating a bleeding injury by submersing it in a piranha tank.
The pool heater was broken (with no sign on the door informing guests of this fact!), so the temperature was about 70 degrees in the pool. That isn't quite glacial, but the only ones comfortable in that water temperature are penguins and polar bears.
None of the phone buttons (Front Desk, Restaurant, WakeUp Call) worked; I reached the restaurant by hitting the front desk button, and was frostily informed that I'd called the wrong number- and hung up on. TWICE. The first time, the person at least deigned to give me (the customer) the supposed Front Desk number- which reached no one. The second time, they hung up after barking at me that I'd dialed wrong. Getting a wake-up call was impossible, as apparently the wake-up call line "had been disconnected".
The number of smiles or congeniality from staff (I make it a point to interact with a number of staff wherever I stay) outside of the restaurant was ZERO, and unfriendliness seemed the rule of the establishment. The hotel is clearly understaffed, and all employees had a harried "don't bother me- I'm counting the seconds until I can LEAVE" attitude. The one bright spot was a maintenance guy riding the elevator, who was the only courteous staff member I met.
A man was wandering around in the parking lot, nearly got hit by people when he stumbled around in front of their car, and was clearly out of his mind on some substance-- but when he staggered into the hotel past the front desk and spent 20 minutes staring vacantly into the pool room, no one on the desk staff seemd to think this was an issue, even when notified of his behavior.
The breakfast "buffet" was mostly standard vat breakfast food, with the difference between, say, a Hampton Inn and here being you had to pay to eat this one, while the Hampton provides better-quality food for free. However, the waitresses in the restaurant during the day were pleasant, so kudos to them - but a resounding BOO to the night staff, who were as hospitable as cats in a dog pound.
You want a decent place to stay in Cheyenne? Try the Hampton. I've stayed there, and it's clean & nice. Or try anywhere else- I wouldn't send people I loathed to this hotel, let alone anyone I wanted to talk to afterward. Price savings or no, staying elsewhere is a better bet.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Cheyenne/i-80 Hotel
- Holiday Inn Cheyenne/i-80 Hotel Cheyenne
- Cheyenne Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Cheyenne
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Once you arrive at the Holiday Inn Cheyenne, you have reached the easiest part of your journey. We offer service, style and comfort with distinctive Wyoming flavor. Just five miles from Frontier Park home of Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo. Our full service property is conveniently located immediately off of I-80, and one mile east of I-25. Experience our Holiday Inn hospitality at the lowest Internet rate guaranteed! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Priceline, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your Holiday Inn Cheyenne/I-80 reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.