“Lunch was nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Casper WY
“Lunch was nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Tried J's for the first time on a Friday for lunch. The restaurant was crowded, but we arrived at about 12:40, so the early lunchers were just leaving and we got right in. Service was fine, food was nothing special. I had the Health Nut panini (goat cheese, pesto and veggies), which was primarily cheese and pesto with very few of the advertised veggies. Seemed a little bland, too. Onion petals I had with it were good. My friend had a burger and fries, again ok but nothing great. Oh well, maybe dinner here is better; but I'm not going to hurry back to try it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Casper, Wyoming
“Great place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Casper was in need of a great restaurant on the east side of town with a pub. The salmon sandwich is great and the cod sandwich is the best. We had good service and the atmosphere was fun. Don't expect to get seated right away, the restaurant is packed every evening. Can't wait to go back.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Casper,Wy.
“Good Food, Service is Two out of Three.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Sometimes in Casper, I feel like I'm on the the outer fringe of a thing called service. It has seemed that a lot of food service employees in this area believe they are being paid to talk with their friends, be rude to the customer,see whats on the TV and eat themselves a meal. We travel a lot, and see that the food industry servers in many places are happy to have their jobs and show it through their service. I am more than happy, to tip well, those same people.
On our third visit to J's Pub we had the best service I've had in this town for a long time. Last night we had Samantha S. as our server.She was right in there to check on everything,remove anything that did not belong, making sure our food was correct and our drinks were full. She also did it with a smile and a great attitude.If you go, ask for her section and tip her well.She deserves it. She also had the help of a young lady,we did not get her name, who brought drinks very quickly. And also with a smile.
On our frst visit we had a server named Phil, who also provided excellent service. Phil,like Samantha,was also all about the service and making sure everything was right.We were only there for a couple of drinks and an app,but he made us feel like he was glad to be there. I am positive these two servers are making great tips there and are well liked by their customers.
On our second visit, we had eight people on a Saturday afternoon. I do not recall the server's name, but i felt like i was back in Casper's land of the lost food server. Maybe it was the U.W. game on the TV. The drinks were always empty,the food was slow. and thirty minutes after some of our party had left,all the dishes remained.Along with all the empties. We did move them to the end of the table. I did not understand how there were about ten employees in that area,one watched most of the football game, and nothing was being done. Were it not for the food we would not have returned.
As far as the food goes, It has been great everytime we have been there (slightly cold on visit #2),But still good and at a fair price.The burgers were good. The Steaks are well prepared, The Apps (shrimp,wings) are better than i"ve had here in town. My wife had the shrimp & Grits,and said they were awesome. My son had the pork chops with the mac & cheese. He described the meal as interesting. A bit sweet for him. Overall,J's Chef Robert, seems to be doing a fine job in the kitchen. I hope it remains so after he's gone.
I also hope the rest of the servers adopt the attitude and practices of Samantha and Phil. I would have given the service five stars,except for our second visit. Thanks to both of you. We'll be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Casper
“Unique food right here in Casper!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

If you think you need to drive to Denver to get excellent service and a unique and creative menu, you are mistaken. Casper now has a pub that is upscale and fun with great food, great service and a friendly atmosphere that you might expect in Downtown Denver. Steaks, seafood, salads, pasta, flatbread pizzas, burgers and more are all on this imaginative menu!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Casper, Wyoming, United States
“Horrible service, cold food. Not going back.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This was my first time to J's. I am not planning on returning. I made reservations, arrived, and they still wanted me to wait 45 minutes. Lots of confusion at the hostess stand. I complained and then they seated us. Waitress was terrible, rude and never smiled. The wait for drinks was super long. I saw the waitress chating with the bartender for about 15 minutes, looked like she was complaining. We had to ask 3 times if our drinks were ready, it was rediculous. Waited over 45 minutes for appetizers, and they messed those up too. We ordered the scallops and crap cakes, she brought us double of each, and charged us double, of course. The crab cake was the size of a baseball, too big, because it was ice cold on the inside. I ordered the crab and shrimp stuffed flounder, it had absolutely no flavor at all! Horrible and soggy. We had about 6 minutes with our appetizers, and then they brought out our main entrees. Horrible timing. We had like 10 plates on the table at once. We had to hurry and eat our appetizers fast so we could get rid of the plates, and so our dinner did not get any colder. All of the plates looked nice, however I think they spent too much time making the plates look nice and not enough time or thought on how to cook the food at the right temperature or with any flavor. Overall, not impressed. Our bill for 4 people was well over $200, and my expectations were not met. If I am going to pay for fine dining, then I expect to have well cooked food, and at least okay service. I will never go there again unless I am drug there, and then I would only order a sandwich, because I figure it must be hard to mess that up.

• Visited November 2012