“Nice besides price changes” 3 of 5 stars

Z-Bar Motel
626 Fort Street, Buffalo, WY 82834   |
Ranked #4 of 17 hotels in Buffalo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice besides price changes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

I stayed here with my fiance on our trip between Yellowstone and Hill City. The place was nice. Bed was comfortable and everything appeared clean. Bathroom was large and had extra soap and such. Buffalo is a quiet town but it was great to pass through for a night to rest. The cabin could use some updating. However, the thing I disliked was being told several different prices. When I called to ask about the cabin the price I was given was around $55. When I called back to confirm the room I was told a rate of $70. It was speaking to the same person and even told them the price they had said only an hour prior (it was using a AAA card) but he said the price remained at $70 but could get lower because the cabin had a kitchen and as long as we didn't use it then we could receive a discount. That was fine with us. When we arrived I was charged $90 and never received anything back for not using the kitchen. I was too tired and too annoyed at that point to fight- plus it was the man's teenage daughter that checked us in. It isn't like we could not afford the $90, I just did not like how the price rose so much in 1 day.

Room Tip: if you plan on staying and they give you a price you are OK with jump on it before it gets higher
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
cozycabin, Owner at Z-Bar Motel, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
We very much appreciate that our guests take the time to write a review of our property. Thank-you. I would like to clarify something that was said in regards to our daughter. If a mistake was made, it was our mistake, not hers. She has been thoroughly trained to run the front desk and acts in a very professional manner. I can't tell you the number of compliments we have received on her behalf. We do from time to time make a mistake and are more than willing to correct it if brought to our attention. It may have been that we neglected to tell our daughter that we gave you a special price. If that was the case, I apologize. We do not have a $55.00 rate at this time of year, however. The rate on a kitchen unit is $95.00 and if the kitchen was not needed, the rate would have been $85.00 not $55.00. If you called from a cell phone, there may have been a miscommunication there? We stand behind a rate quote. When a reservation is made the rate is entered into our booking program. If there is a question and we are not in the office, Recbecca would have made us aware of the problem and it could have been discussed in the morning. Thank-you for bringing to my attention the importance of clear and concise communication.

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Surry, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

My wife and I were on a 30 day cross country motorcycle trip this leg was from Yellowstone/ Tetons through Wyoming to the Black Hills, SD. Owner very welcoming and helpful. Motorcycle friendly, park outside your door. Nice large room, very clean, excellent wireless internet. This was the best lodging value of the entire trip. We would definitely recommend this motel in the Buffalo, WY area.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Our family stayed here on a recent trip west. Our room was spacious, well-kept, quiet and had comfortable beds. However, our room was showing signs of age and wear, particularly in the bathroom, which had peeling wall paint and a shower whose worn-out faucet/shower set could no longer easily control the temp mix--it was either scalding hot or cold, with only a minute fraction in-between.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

We stayed at the Z-Bar for just 1 night on our way to Deadwood and loved it. Our cabin was very clean, the bed was comfortable, owners very friendly and helpful. It's nice and close to downtown, within walking distance if you don't mind a 20 minute walk. The single cabin was just right for the 2 of us, very nicely decorated and the fridge sure came in handy. I would recommend the Z-Bar to anyone who wants a nice clean, very reasonably priced place to stay.

Saginaw, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

My husband and I have been staying at the Z-Bar Motel each summer for 10 years. It is the place where we stage our backpacking trips into the Big Horn Mtns. Terry and Kevin are fantastic hosts. The price is right, the cabins have all been updated, there is always someone around to answer questions, and we are happy to support a locally-owned business in Buffalo, Wyoming. The consistently great environment is why we return. In fact, we've booked our 2013 family reunion here! The Motel is quiet, and the central grassy area with children's playground, picnic tables, and grills provides a great atmosphere for guests to gather. Free wifi is a nice added bonus. If you are coming through Buffalo, don't stay at those placeless chain hotels by the interstate. For half the price, come in to town and stay at the Z-bar!

Room Tip: We often stay in room 29, which is nice, but all cabins are great. Some have kitchens, so ask if you...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011 via mobile

Yes, of course you could stay at the Hampton Inn, but if you're looking for an incredibly clean room that's quiet and very comfortable, then look no more. My husband and I stayed here with our two young daughters who loved the playset outside. I had the chance to talk with the owners who were very hospitable and helped us find a restaurant when we checked in pretty late. I really liked staying at this independently-owned motel because it supports the local community and makes the travel experience sooo much more interesting! Bravo to the Z-Bar for hanging in there during this tough economy. I would recommend this motel to anyone!

• Stayed July 2011
Lansing, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband and I were traveling through on our motorcycle on the way to Yellowstone and specifically planned our route to spend a night in Buffalo. This is at least the third time we have stayed at the Z-bar motel, the other two times were with our three children. The owner is very friendly and wants your stay to be pleasant. The rooms have been updated since our last visit and are very clean. This is a wonderful location and I love the park-like setting. It is always a relaxing place to stay and can't wait to come back again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Z-Bar Motel? Share your experiences!