“Don't waste your time or your money” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Mead & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   451 East Grand Ave., Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494   |
Hotel packages
Greenfield, Wisconsin
“Don't waste your time or your money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Our horrible experience started the minute we walked in the door. The young woman working at the front desk was so rude and seemed to know nothing about the day to day operations. I did not see her smile once the whole time we were at the desk. There were two other employees behind the counter that just sat there counting their money drawers while a huge line of people was building up. When we got to our room, we were even more disappointed. It smelled of mold and mildew, and looked like it hadn't been updated since the 70's. There was no mircowave in the room, and no vending machines on the whole second floor. The pool and hot tub were so chlorinated that it turned my kids skin red. When we checked our bank balance while we were there we found out that we were charged an extra $50. When we asked the front desk they said it was a charge "in case" we charged anything to the room or ordered room service. There is nothing that we signed stating this charge was okay to be put on our credit card, and no where in any of their written policies does it tell you that you will be charged an extra $50. When we asked to speak with the manager we were told that their is no manager on duty on the weekends and that she turns her cell phone off all weekend.
Just an overall very disappointing hotel itself, with every worse customer service. Will never stay here again and have told all of our family and friends to never stay there as well.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Central Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I stayed one night for a conference.
Property: in a residential area a few blocks from downtown. No great views, but pleasant. The area was very quiet at night. The hotel has plenty of parking.
Room: the hotel has two towers, one 5-story with an attractive full height atrium, and a newer one 4-story. I was on the 3rd floor in the newer one (it is a bit of a hike if you start at the front, but you can drive around to a side entrance). The room was not huge but was adequate size, nicely equipped, and very clean. Beds were will furnished and very comfortable. The hotel is exceptionally quiet, makes for good sleeping. The bathroom is not huge but appropriately equipped, decent shower. Having 2 sinks (one in a dressing area) was convenient. There was a small refrigerator (no microwave) if that matters. Windows apparently open a little (it snowed the night I was there so that wasn't an advantage). Room temperature controls were easy to set and actually worked properly (both of these are often not the case, even in fancy places).
Food: The hotel catered all the conference food so I didn't eat at the restaurant; what they served was all good and nicely presented. I can't speak to the restaurants, therefore; see other reviews.
Amenities etc.: Halls were spotless, the hotel is well maintained. I used the fitness center, it is well equipped and again clean, with plenty of equipment and 4 TV's. The pool looked nice (though small), but I didn't use it. There are plenty of public areas and lots of conference space, all well laid out and easy to get to from the rooms.
Staff: friendly and efficient. I give them an extra star for checking me in when I arrived (9:45 am!) and extending my checkout to 12:30 pm to accommodate the conference schedule, all done with a smile. Food service was equally friendly.
Overall: Excellent hotel for a meeting (and they market themselves as such), and for this conference it was a great value ($70 + tax for the conference rate in April).

Room Tip: The 4-story west tower is newer, and a tad further from what little traffic there is.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have traveled to various hotels and places across the country and this rates as one of the best!
The food is incredible! The pizza is to die for and the people are incredibly friendly and attentive!
I was here in December 2012 and it was nothing like it is now!
WOW what a change!
New management and owners and December had some of the old employees that are no longer here this time! And Wow what a difference!
Incredible place to stay!
Central location with easy access anywhere!
and you don't have to leave the place or your room to get the best food in town!!!

Room Tip: The West side rooms, on the bottom, are closest to the restaurant and bar but the tower rooms are ve...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed here for a couple of days on a business trip. The hotel is nice and looks like it has been remodeled to look fairly modern. It was quiet on a couple of weekday nights which was nice. However, we checked in around 10:00 and there were no decent food options open except for Applebees and Perkins. The hotel bar was nice enough to allow us to order some pizza in and the bar itself was pretty busy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Tijeras, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for work in November 2012 and it was under new management with promises of updates to the hotel. My only real complaint was their Ethostream service - kept kicking me off.

I stayed there again last week and no more ethostream and excellent connectivity. The password required was funky, but I didn't mind as my coworker stayed at another nearby hotel with no password required on their guest internet access and evidently had her CC information hacked. I'd rather put up with the minor inconvenience of a required password than having an open connection these days anyways.

I also would never leave my laptop unattended in any public place for any amount of time even if there was visible security within a foot of where I set it down.... that's just plain stupod and irresponsible.

• Stayed January 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Had a suite room and it was very clean and quiet! Booked just one night for an overnight visit to family in the area. The check in was fast and easy. The hotel is pretty large, but there is plenty of parking near the rooms. We received one of the newer suite rooms and the bed was super comfy. Bathroom was clean and had plenty of towels. Suite has a living room, fridge, desk, etc so there was ample room. We had a chance to visit the bar downstairs and the drinks are priced right and made very well. Great service, music and people. At check-out the next morning we were offered coffee and the lady at the desk made check-out a breeze. We will be back next time we are visiting our relatives. Overall would highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I was staying at the Hotel Mead for work last weekend and checked in last Thursday night. I checked out Saturday morning and my $2,000.00 computer was stolen out of their hotel vestibule, which isn't visible from the front desk and they don't have a security camera that sees the entrance. When I alerted the staff they were indifferent and said they would let me know if anyone turned anything in. The owner Al was suppose to call me but I ended up having to call him to get a status. Also left a message later in the day and it was never returned.

The rooms were outdated as the whole hotel is. I would be concerned staying there just for the woeful lack of security. If there are other options available I would explore them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Wisconsin Rapids hotels

Been to Hotel Mead & Conference Center? Share your experiences!