“Updates are slow but noticeable.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Mead & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   451 East Grand Ave., Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494   |
Hotel packages
Tijeras, New Mexico
“Updates are slow but noticeable.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for work in November 2012 and it was under new management with promises of updates to the hotel. My only real complaint was their Ethostream service - kept kicking me off.

I stayed there again last week and no more ethostream and excellent connectivity. The password required was funky, but I didn't mind as my coworker stayed at another nearby hotel with no password required on their guest internet access and evidently had her CC information hacked. I'd rather put up with the minor inconvenience of a required password than having an open connection these days anyways.

I also would never leave my laptop unattended in any public place for any amount of time even if there was visible security within a foot of where I set it down.... that's just plain stupod and irresponsible.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Had a suite room and it was very clean and quiet! Booked just one night for an overnight visit to family in the area. The check in was fast and easy. The hotel is pretty large, but there is plenty of parking near the rooms. We received one of the newer suite rooms and the bed was super comfy. Bathroom was clean and had plenty of towels. Suite has a living room, fridge, desk, etc so there was ample room. We had a chance to visit the bar downstairs and the drinks are priced right and made very well. Great service, music and people. At check-out the next morning we were offered coffee and the lady at the desk made check-out a breeze. We will be back next time we are visiting our relatives. Overall would highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I was staying at the Hotel Mead for work last weekend and checked in last Thursday night. I checked out Saturday morning and my $2,000.00 computer was stolen out of their hotel vestibule, which isn't visible from the front desk and they don't have a security camera that sees the entrance. When I alerted the staff they were indifferent and said they would let me know if anyone turned anything in. The owner Al was suppose to call me but I ended up having to call him to get a status. Also left a message later in the day and it was never returned.

The rooms were outdated as the whole hotel is. I would be concerned staying there just for the woeful lack of security. If there are other options available I would explore them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Wisconsin Rapids hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed in this hotel while visiting relatives and there's not a whole lot of other options, so I was happy to arrive at Hotel Mead and find it to be above my expectations for such an affordable hotel. The lobby and room were clean, warm and comfortable. We had an issue with our reservation via an online booking system and the staff went above and beyond to help us fix it. We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant twice-the food was above average and there were lots of options. We liked it enough the first day to invite our relatives to enjoy us the second day for breakfast.
The location is convenient to everything in Wisconsin Rapids and the staff was helpful in providing directions.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Staff: The staff for the most part was pretty friendly. There was one particular staff member who never greeted or ask how everything was, but I was not bothered by that. I enjoyed the staff that was at the bar - they were extremely friendly and full of social butterflies. The bar staff always had stories to share which resulted in me buying more drinks lol, but it made for a great time.

Exercise Room: It's nice to release some stress after a long day of work and taking advantage of the exercise room is something I always recommend at a hotel. The exercise room at Hotel Mead was clean, plenty of machines to use, and have plenty of televisions for your viewing pleasure. They also have a pool which seemed clean, but I didn't take advantage of it.

Inside Bar: There isn't a whole lot to do in middle-of-nowhere Wisconsin, so spending a few hours a night at the bar after a long day at work was pretty rewarding. I was able to meet other travel goers and network with others from around the country.

Showers: All I ask for in a hotel are clean sheets and a hot shower. The water was always hot and the shower head had plenty of pressure. I was satisfied. The hotel also offered complimentary soap, shampoo, and conditioner.

Internet: The hotel offers internet access and it was pretty quick. I never dropped my connection and didn't have any complaints about the speed.

The few negatives about the hotel:
* The hotel does seem a bit outdated, however, I have read that new ownership was taking over while I was there. Apparently the new ownership is putting a lot of money into the hotel to upgrade a lot of things and bring it up to par to the likes of a Courtyard or Hilton Garden Inn.

* It's 2012, it's time to ditch the CRT television and upgrade to LCD with some HD channels. This is not to say that the TV is not watchable because I certainly watched sports all week long, but it's time to upgrade for the sake of modernization.

Overall, I recommend this hotel. The old style is nice and appreciative after spending many visits in more modern hotels. I slept well, was comfortable, and did not have any issues with other guests.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

I slept very well these last few nights here. The lobby and hallways are beautiful but be prepared for the outdated rooms. The beds are small but who cares if you get a good night sleep on them. The workout room is spacious with various machines. I was pleasently surprised with how nice the machines were.
Would I stay here again? Yes
Ps they charge you for the water bottles in the room so beaware!

• Stayed December 2012
Tijeras, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

It's obvious that the Mead is in transition since the new ownership took over in October of this year. Overall, the experience here was very pleasant, the staff friendly and helpful and can't wait to return in December. Hopefully some of the massive technology updates they have scheduled will be done as that Ethostream service is not at all conducive to getting work completed.....which meant I could take advantage of their Martini Tuesdays. Great time down at the Grand Avenue Bar.....the one day I didn't have a dinner meeting I indulged in an amazing pizza made in a natural brick oven which alone was pretty cool to see. I'm excited to see what other changes are planned for this very nice hotel.

Room Tip: The executive suites are quite large and roomy, especially the corner units. Although the bed wasn...