“Once again” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
South Florida, Florida
“Once again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

The Mead has again changed hands. I noticed a few changes that showed improvements coming. The desk staff was friendly and helpful, there was a coffee service available for guests near the desk and the king bed had four pillows instead of the usual three. Though I did not have time to spend in the hotel we did get a night cap in the evening and the staff there was also friendly this time. Great to see, hopes for a wonderful hotel!!

Room Tip: It costs more but seems quieter in the west wing.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Franksville, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We showed up at 3pm for check-in and our room wasn't ready yet. We were told to come back later. We came back at 4:30pm and the room was ready. We went to our room and there were blankets, sheets, towels...etc., laying all over the place and the bed wasn't made. We went back to the hotel desk and they gave us a different room. That room had been cleaned. This particular weekend, the outside temperatures during the day were in the 40's and in the evening they were in the low 30's. We turned the heat on, and there was no heat. As we pulled to curtains closed, we noticed the window had a big crack in it, and it was leaking air. I called the hotel desk and they said that they would send maintenance while we went out for dinner. 2 hours later, we were back, and no heat. I called the front desk again. They sent the maintenance guy again who said that he just turned on the heat for our room at some "maintenance" location. He said we would have heat in about 30 minutes. 1 hour passed and it's literally becoming freezing. I went to the hotel desk and they gave me yet another room, so I had to move everything we had already unpacked, back into our suitcases and into yet another room. This room had been cleaned, and when I turned the heat on, I could feel the blower blowing "luke warm" (not hot) air. The room temperature got up to about 65 degrees (even though we set the temperature much higher) and then the heater stopped working (imagine that!). At this point, now that it's after 10pm, we said "the heck with it". We took the pain of a cold room on a 30 degree night. The next day, we went to the event that we needed to attend. We got back to our hotel around 4:30pm. We went to our room and neither of our room keys worked. Once again, we went back down to the lobby (our room was on the 5th floor) and wanted to know why they deactivated our keys, even though we were staying for 2 nights. They just had the deer in the headlights look. The next morning we were happy to leave. I don't think we will stay here anymore, even though I will be in Wisconsin Rapids every year at this time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Arena, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I recently stayed at the Mead for 3 nights for a business conference. I was supprised to see that this older hotel is very very well kept. It has an exceptional staff. I arrived at 10 pm on a thursday after a long 3 hour drive, Angel (her name but she is!) one of the most courtious desk clerks I have had in a while.got me checked in and to my room in minutes.Very good!!! The board room and meeting rooms all very good and have from top to bottom an excellent staff. Is you need a place in centeral Wi give this Grand Place a chance. Rooms were quiet even though the hotel was booked solid. The resturant has excellent food here also.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Burlington WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were here to attend a conference and we were treated like individual honored guests. The lobby was attractive; the swimming pool large and impressive. Our king bed suite was attractive and clean. We called housekeeping because of a missing TV remote, and in minutes a gentleman appeared with one. He was concerned about our satisfaction with the room and when he discovered that we may have been overcharged for our room by $20 he said he would go right to the front desk and have them correct the mistake. He did and they did. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant and despite the fact that there was a crowd of young people on dates for Homecoming in attendance, the service and the food was excellent. The next morning, just before our convention banquet (good and well handled), we went to the bar for a glass of wine. No bartender was yet on hand, but the same great waitress we had the night before hustled behind the bar to help out and meet our request. I wish I had her name. All the staff had that "aim to please" attitude. Really, there was nothing lacking at the Mead Hotel.

Room Tip: With pleasant weather, we had our windows open and the outside air units were rather noisy. Next ti...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Green Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

A little dated but very nice for the $. We had a king & sleeper sofa. It worked well. Lots of room amenities. Layout of the hotel a little different than most but overall a very quiet & relaxing hotel.
Thanks to the front desk staff for the help (our first time to rapids)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

This was my first trip to Central Wisconsin; the occasion was to meet my fiancée's family and attend her nephew's wedding. She stated that the reception would be at the Hotel Mead and that almost everyone planned to stay overnight there after.

My first impression was that the staff were genuine and trying to please, however some things I observed made me go, “What the heck?!” The hotel was definitely a topic of discussion the next day at the gift opening and one comment by a “local,” that the Mead was “owned by the bank,” led me to an epiphany. I concluded that the management and staff are motivated and trying to keep their jobs and keep the place running, but they lack an owner and management team with the passion and knowledge to run a first-rate hotel. With that insight, the “what the heck” experiences were explainable. In order of events:

Check-in was smooth. Our room was clean but somewhat dated. For example, the desk lamp was of the type popular in the 1990's - the kind with a built-in telephone jack so you could plug a cable to your laptop and dial into your account at AOL or Compuserve. There was no wi-fi signal. We were in 272, the farthest room on the second floor. Perhaps there is signal closer to the center of the building. Our air conditioner was okay. At the gift opening we heard that at least one room had an air conditioner that was so loud that they couldn't sleep. Our bathroom was clean. The towels were fine. There was plenty of hot water.

The ballroom is nice and the bartenders were fun. The food service, though, left room for improvement. On the positive side, hot food was served hot and cold food was served cold. Given the difficulty of feeding several hundred people at once, the food was, all-in-all, better than that you would find at most large, catered events. On the down side, while the service was efficient, plates were slung and food cleared with no regard for “serve from the left, clear from the right” or other nuances of fine service. One comment at the gift opening was that the service felt closer to a cafeteria than to fine dining. It seemed strange that there was so much that was right about the meal but the servers were clueless. Perhaps the bankers running the hotel understand accounting but don't understand fine service?

As the reception wound down, we headed to the rooms for after-parties. At one we were interrupted by a knock on the door. It was a kid with a radio and a uniform. Kid Security stated that there had been a complaint and that if we didn't quiet down, he would call the Po Po and we would all have to leave. Wisconsin Rapids is not a big city. If you include Stevens Point, the local population is around 50,000 – not so small that everyone knows everyone, but small enough that you know a lot of people wherever you go. A guest, we'll call her “Ashley, Friend of the Couple,” had apparently grown up with Kid's older siblings and instigated him to eat boogers and paste and perform other such antics in prior years. Unintimidated by the uniform and radio, Ashley, Friend of the Couple, sat Kid down and explained that emptying the entire second floor and large parts of the third and fourth floors - a sizable percentage of the population of Wisconsin Rapids and vicinity, guests who were spending tens of thousands of dollars at the hotel that night - might not be his best option. She offered to call Kid's mommy to help him understand if he needed further advice. Kid, perplexed at this turn of events, shuffled off and was last overheard at the front desk lamenting his hurt feelings over not being offered a piece of pizza. Two comments on this episode. First, Kid could have had better training. It seems he has one tool in his kit, “Call the Po Po and have everyone thrown out.” Once that failed, he had nothing left. Second, and I found this out later, the hotel had booked two rooms on the second floor to non-party-goers. Why they weren't given rooms on the fourth floor, with the families with children, or entirely in the other wing, to me can only be explained by bankers-in-charge who don't understand the hotel business.
Upon awakening, we found a receipt under the door and a second piece of paper with a note to “Please review us on TripAdvisor.” I looked at my girlfriend and said, they want us to give a review. She said, “Be careful what you ask for.” I agreed. I am sorry if this review seems harsh. I liked the staff at Hotel Mead. They seemed to be genuinely trying hard to please. Most of the experience was great. The parts that were not so good were caused by rookie mistakes. The staff needs guidance and training from owners with the passion and skills to run a first-rate hotel. That seems to be lacking. I hope they find it and wish them the best. I will be back and hope to see improvements.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My first review of Hotel Mead was Sep. 2011. We just returned on July 27-30, 2012 to visit family again. Management had said they would address our complaints so we were curious to see if there were any improvements. Pulling up to the main entrance we were greated by a multitude of swarming bugs attracted to the lighting. Holding our breath and swatting furiously we made it through the doors. This issued should be addressed. We checked in and began to see that it was obvious that no upgrades had been made and preventative maintenance was at a standstill. This time we chose a room in the "tower". At first I thought the room was clean and acceptable, however, with a closer look I discovered that the toilet bowl looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months. This wasn't the case, it was cleaned, but it had the most disgusting grey stains all over the bowl that looked to be permanent. Not a good first impression. This is such an obvious turn off that I feel the toilet should have been replaced long ago. A perfect example of neglecting to constantly assess the condition of the rooms and replace or repair on a regular basis. Again, the air conditioning unit was hard to control so my DIY husband decided to lift off the grate and turn the direction of the air to the window. He was shocked at what he saw. In fact he told me not to look, that I wouldn't want to see the thick layer of dust and other air particles that had collected inside on the filter.It was in dire need of a cleaning or replacement. We were sorry to discover what we would be breathing in for the next three days. I have to say that the front desk staff and our server in the restaurant were both very friendly and efficient. In fact, our server was outstanding (I wish I could remember her name). The food was slightly better, although the pizza crust was still soggy and our server also warned us that the kitchen was very busy and we might have a bit of a wait for our food. She was right. On Friday night there was a live band outside in the courtyard - a nice touch on a summer evening. We continued to fight through the bugs at the entrance every night and were greeted in the mornings with a carpet that was literally covered with dead ones. There couldn't have been any regular cleaning of the entry going on. So I'm sorry to say it but for our next visit we will be staying in a hotel on 8th street. 22 years of memories has ended on a disappointing note.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Mead & Conference Center? Share your experiences!