“30 years of staying here!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Mead & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   451 East Grand Ave., Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494   |
Hotel packages
South Florida, Florida
“30 years of staying here!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I have watched this hotel change over the years, first expanding and turning into a grande hotel for the area and now changing hands every few years. Unfortunately it has not been good for the place. I belong to the Club Mead which gets you nice perks if you come a couple of times a year, but that used to mean a nice turned down bed and some fantastic goodie in the pillow and a free drink for all members of your party and those things are gone. So are a lot of the excellent employees they used to have, no cocktail waitress in the bar, desk service is far less than helpful and too impersonal now and one restaurant is now closed. The former game room is gone, no bucket was anywhere for the sauna and the pool which used to be so warm now is not. It is nearly to the point that the value is slipping away which is too bad. I understand in bad times you try to cut corners and perhaps I have been coming there for too many years so I am disappointed. that being said, the rooms are nice, the walls are thick so it is quiet even with a soccer tourney staying there, it is nice and close to everything and the bar and restaurant are great to have on site. It is just too bad that extremely friendly atmosphere seems to have gone away, this place could and has been so much more.

Room Tip: The west wing is the nicest part, but more expensive holding the suites. Worth the upgrade for the q...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
BALDWIN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

One before ecepting. Rooms at the Mead Hotel, I read every reveiw written on your program. I almost decided not to stay their. Even those they where sponsors of the youth soccer program giving us a discount.First the staff at desk where not as implyed hateful/emparsable they went out of their way to make us satisfied. Two the general manager welcome us with open arms. The rooms and service where second to none. The Hotle Mead, as stated a hotel not a motel. Most likely the oldest Hotel in Wisconsin Rapids. A grand hotel model after the hotels of the 20/30/40 of older years. If I HAD TO SAY anything the door man was missing.Anyone who was dissacissied would have been the way at motel six.. Holiday Inn. Two things I wat to point out this is a Grand Hotel. The people running it are outstanding people.The cafe at the hotel is beyoung beleife. Food attention outstand. If I GO BACK TO WISCONSIN RAPIDES. I will stay at the Mead Hotel.I wii point out one mishap. This isn't pointed out in their on line programs. They the hotel claim that their rooms have a micowave, refrigerator, coffeemaker ect. Ok this is the correct way to over come this small prolbem. The hotel is broken down into two sections/East/West. West has all the items as stated. East has TV / Coffee Maker.Don't worry they offered to give us referiger/micowave at know cost because i pointed this out after checking in.All the bad reviews is garbage. Stay their if you are in town. Prices lower then motel 8. and a lots more fun.

Room Tip: One unlike most motels they do offer a free breakfast/ they have a resturant.Also ask for a room if...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

The overall stay at Hotel Mead was great. However, we checked in later at night, and when we got in the room the temperature of the room was unbearable. It was so hot! We tried using the dial and changing the temperature, but it was not working. The next day I went down to the desk to let them know. The clerk told me it was because of the windows and how big they are, that the absorb heat. She said she would sent maintenance, however the issue was never resolved. I was very disappointed in this, and the Front Desk should have contacted us to do a follow up. Also, each one of the ladies working was not very pleasent, giving dirty looks and showing their frustrations as they were on the phone with guests. I did not recieve a warm feeling from any of them, except the 3rd shift attendant, she was very nice.

However, the room itself was very nice and spacious. The pool was great, and the workout facility was also very nice. You can tell they didnt take any shortcuts in funding. The women that was working the restaurant was fantastic, and very nice. The bartendar also was very friendly. The overall trip was wonderful, and we will return.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Mosinee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hotel Mead, my experience was excellent! We were very lucky to be able to check in early and the staff was great. Each time we came off the elevator or went to our room, we were greeted by happy smiling faces. The food at the restaurant was also excellent! I would definitely recommend the hotel, and I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Buffalo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I was guest for one night. this hotel is very clean, Nice and easy to find. Right on Grand Ave.
This hotel offer lot more than I thought i small twon. I was very happy and enjoyed the food without any problem. I will be back soon.

Room Tip: try to eat pizza cooked right on wood burning grill
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Nekoosa, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

I was very disappointed because I have stayed here many times in the past and never experienced so many problems and bad attitudes before. The girls at the desk, including the manager were rude and when we arrived the rooms they wanted us to take were not what we had reserved. When I complained they started saying it would be more money if I wanted the rooms I originally asked for when I made the reservations. In the past grandchildren could visit us while we stayed and go swimming with us, this time we were told they could not that people staying at the motel could not have guests use the pool. They also were not children friendly. This may be a great place for events or business meetings but for a fun time away or to vacation I would not choose this motel ever again. The vending machine and ice machine on our floor did not work so we had to go all the way to the other side or take an elevator down to the next floor just to get ice. One of the tvs in our suite was missing the remote so we had to get up to change channels or volume. Other employees I met walking through the motel seemed very friendly but the ones at the desk upon arriving made me want to turn around and leave. They were very petty acting about everything and it just wasn't a fun time. Rapids now has other motels with pools and less pricey that I will be staying at from now on. A motel can be nice but if the treatment you receive is less than that it just makes the stay unpleasant. And this stay was definitely unpleasant and nothing like my past experiences staying there.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

The repression economy hit the former owners hard, and the facility was put up for sale in February of 2011. Here’s where things got interesting when the Hotel Mead was taken over by a local financial institution that was intent on insuring that this prestigious and upscale, 5-story atrium hotel would continue on as a major attraction for the community. The initial transition was reported to be very difficult because the new owners knew nothing about hotel management and they were poorly served by private consultants they employed to manage operations. With true American pluck the new owner bank decided they could do better, and with the help and encouragement of the staff and community, they have taken on the management responsibility themselves vowing to insure that the Hotel Mead’s excellent reputation would be maintained and even enhanced with the implementation of new services and expanded facilities.

We read about this transition in the newspaper, and were incredulous that Central Wisconsin’s premier hotel was so adversely affected by the economy. We were also disbelieving, as some internet reports suggested, that things had gone downhill. We knew that this had been the best facility in the area, offering very pleasing amenities, beautifully appointed rooms, a lovely dining experience, magnificent pool and fitness facility, large garden gazebo, and tons of meeting space. We knew all this because our family held a wedding reception there just 10 years ago, and my professional association had held a convention there that drew rave reviews from my colleagues from all across the state. We had also often dined there in the Café Mulino—always a pleasure.

We decided to see for ourselves whether the community had succeeded in their mission to keep things going in the high fashion of its heritage by attending a New Year’s celebration that included a king suite, a bottle of champagne, great entertainment from a western-style band, dinner and brunch the next morning all in a package deal. We knew everything would be fine when we entered the magnificent atrium lounge and saw the lovely Christmas lights and decorations. It all looked brand new, and our room was wonderfully spacious with fine cabinetry, even 2 sink areas as you might find in the best urban hotel. It was nice to have a suite with the separate sitting area. A fluffy pile of pillows on the bed gave us just the touch of luxury we were hoping for. The champagne arrived almost mysteriously in a bucket of ice. It was all just perfect.

There was a glitch with the billing that initially overstated the package “deal” a bit, but we followed up on that, and the management re-stated the bill correctly. It was explained that their new billing system was having trouble handling special occasion packages. We were pleased with the personal follow-up handling of this matter by the hotel’s general manager (also an officer at the local owner bank). We had a nice conversation. There is something quite nice about being able to talk with a local person in charge without having to go through layers of policy promulgated by a headquarters located in a faraway city. Indeed, all of the personnel were polite and personable. Even just passing in the hallway, a staff member would ask if everything was OK or simply thank us for our patronage.

So we got the answer to our question about whether the Hotel Mead was still at the top of their game. All was very well, and we are glad to see that the hotel is in such good hands. I’ll be telling all my conferencing friends to make a return visit, and we’ll schedule some family events there. And us? Valentine’s Day is coming up—sounds like a plan!

Room Tip: West Wing suite was very nice
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Mead & Conference Center? Share your experiences!