“Nice Surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Scottsburg, Indiana
11 attraction reviews
“Nice Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

To label this attraction as a petting zoo would be an understatement. It is much more than that. Our grandchildren ages 1&1/2 to 6 loved the interaction with the deer.

Pekin, Illinois
18 attraction reviews
“Really Enjoyed Interacting with the Deer!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

Visited 6/16 - admission was $12 - you could get a large package of "crackers" for $2 additional - would recommend getting at least one since they go much farther than the food sold at the stands and machines actually in the park.

Was a very peaceful experience after all the waterparks and amusement rides. About a 4 block paved walk through the park. I was surprised how clean the walk is kept considering the deer wander wherever they want..

Walk is very level so wheelchair or stroller access would be no problem although I wonder if a powered wheelchair might spook some of the deer.

Deer actually come right up to you. Some are a bit skitish but many will come to you before you even try to lure them in. Others wil take a nap along the walk and totally ignore you. Some will let you pet them.

They have deer from all over the world. And several other animals & birds.

If you have small children, they need to not run or move quickly or they will spook the deer. Let the deer come to you rather than running up to them.

If you aren't comfortable around animals, you might be overwhelmed when you have 3 or 4 come up to you at once. Many deer walk under the rail fence separating their area out into the open.

The park indicated a dear really can't bite - they only have back molars for grinding and small teeth along their bottom gums for scrapping leaves and eating bark from trees. You would have to shove your hand all the way into their mouth for you to get bit.

Animals at the park that can or will bite (like rabbits and many of the birds) are clearly marked with signs and kept behind fences.

Staff were very friendly and would answer any question you might have.

We spent 1 - 2 hours looking at all the animals at this unique attraction. Glad we did.

West Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Wonderful experience, if you're not freaked out by deer.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

My Girlfriend and I went here on our vacation and absolutely loved it. I was a little freaked out by the very persistent deer that had no problem taking the wafers from your hands. They have a plethora of different animals, not only deer, that you can feed. There is also a gift shop with wonderfully nice employees. Its a wonderful experience and I would recommend it to anyone.

San Jose, California
19 attraction reviews
“Nice inexpensive, low-key attraction”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Deer park is a nice low-key attraction.

You can feed the deer with crackers or feed cups bought there, and the price for admission as well as the crackers ($2) or feed cups ($1) is not bad (I don't recall the exact price of admission, maybe $6-7/pp). The deer will follow you when they realize you have food - some small children may be a bit scared by this as the whitetail deer would be taller/bigger than them. The "European fallow" deer (which look more like goats and are smaller than whitetails) seem especially prone to do this. There are some other animals to see there too - lemurs, rabbits, pigs, elk, llama, bison, turkeys but deer are the main ones.

The gift shop seems to be a hodge podge of plastic toys from ~40-50 years ago...nice if you like kitschy stuff like that.

We spent about an hour at the deer park, it was a pleasant stop for us after going on a Duck tour. Enjoy!

Baraboo, Wisconsin
7 attraction reviews
“Surprise Delight”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

My brother and I took our nephew here last summer...We have both lived in the area for about 20 years and while we'd known about the Deer Park, we'd never been.

We were blown away by our enjoyment. My brother and I were just as giddy as my 4 year-old nephew...I don't know how to explain how much I appreciate the idea and implementatioin of this park. When I have children I will take them annually...And I wonder why my parents never took me when I was younger!

Visited June 2010