“Wonderful food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Eclectic, Californian
Janesville, WI
“Wonderful food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We have enjoyed this restaurant many times. The food is wonderful and served with attractive panache'.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

86% Recommend
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Our family was in the Dells for Spring Break and found this place to eat one night. The staff was friendly, the waitress was knowledgeable and the food was a very pleasant surprise. The salads were excellent and their sandwiches are unique and tasty. We loved it so much we came back the next night. We would highly recommend it.

Visited April 2013
“Great ambiance, outstanding food for a family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Our family of 6 (3 adults and 3 kids) had a great time at the High Rock Cafe. This is a small restaurant with excellent food, great ambiance and good service. We sat on the second floor which is quieter than the ground level where the bar is located. The food was outstanding. As appetizer we had calamari that was tastefully prepared with sweet chili sauce. Our kids loved the flavor and creaminess of the cheese on the Big Kids Mac and Cheese. Their Pesto Pasta (The Harper) was also very tasty and creamy. The Wisconsin Pride Pasta with Beef was delicious thanks to the house sauce and cheese. The Ahi Tuna appetizer was not as good as the other dishes. Portion size is large, so we shared the plates and, for an extra nominal charge, they separate the portion in two and add breadstick making the meals filling and affordable. The waitress was very helpful and good care of us.

Visited April 2013
“My new favorite place to eat on vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

My family decided to stop here for dinner on the first night of our spring break vacation. I can honestly tell you I didn't expect to have such a wonderful meal on this trip. Having cooked in a previous life my standards are fairly high & not often met when I eat out... High Rock not only met but far exceeded my expectations. I enjoyed the "field & stream" which is their version of a surf & turf, every bite melted in my mouth. We were really looking forward to trying something off their dessert menu but the meal portions were more then most people could eat in one sitting. My kids (11 & 13) enjoyed the experience so much that the convinced us to stop back to try the desserts on Saturday while walking around downtown. Second trip there was just as good as the first. Crabcakes were wonderful & the blueberry ala mode was delicious to the last bite. It was all a little pricey but rest assured it is worth every penny. My hat is off to owners, you earned 4 more patrons that will be back the next time we vacation here. Thank you for giving us such a great experience on our vacation.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Palatine, Illinois
“Good food and a little pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We visited the Dells for Spring break and decided to go here for lunch one day since it was recommended by the hotel and had good reviews on here. We are a family of 4 and ordered two adult entrees and a kids' meal. I had the Soprano, their signature sandwich, and a cup of potato soup for $2 extra. It all looked really big and appetizing and the first few bites were very flavorful but after that it seemed that I was eating a plain BLT. There was not enough shrimp in my sandwich or the bread slices were too big. It did not look like the picture and the shrimp were hidden in the middle of the sandwich, or something. We also had the Big Texan and the meat was good, could have used more sauce. The kettle chips were good and that is the only side you get unless you upgrade for $2 more. The kids' cheese burger was big when compared to other restaurants' standards.

The service was ok, nothing special. They were friendly enough. The waitress did not refill our drinks. Maybe it was because we did not order alcohol.

Overall, the food was good but it could have been cheaper. The waitress could have been more attentive and she could have gotten a better tip. The view is not that great (not a river view or anything like that); if you seat in the front part of the restaurant, you get the main street view and see people walk and cars drive by and get distracted. The side of the restaurant faces a less crowded and dirty street where cars are parked.

• Visited March 2013